Toddler twin nursing advise needed (cross post) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-16-2005, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am hoping that I can get some advice from y'all. I am currently still bf'ing one of my 31 month old twins (john) and I think he is really losing interest in nursing. I'm pumping 4x a day for the other twin (jordan) and have pumped for him since he was born since due to a cranio facial birth defect he was never able to nurse. I stumped as how to handle this. I'm not sure if I should contine to pump for Jordan or if I should cut back on pumping and "wean" him too. Jordan has had numerous surguries since he was born & I think that the health benefits of bm really helped him to recover quickly. He is looking at 2 more operations over the next 2 years and I am torn between wanting to continue to make sure he gets mommy milk and really wanting to be done pumping. Any suggestions or feedback?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 09-16-2005, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well,
You are following John's lead as far as allowing him to continue to nurse as long as he has interest, and he is starting to lose some interest.
I think the same type of guidance can be used for pumping for Jordan.
In addition to his medical issues, how does he feel about the breastmilk bottles he receives? Is he attached to them? Indifferent?
You could pump and freeze. THis would lose some of the immediate immune benefits but would still be a gentle source of nutrition for surgery recovery. (of course that will only keep for about 6 months in the freezer)
You could cut down to pumping one time a day just to keep a minimal milk supply in case he needs it later.
hth
good luck

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page