I can't make myself eat this much! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2005, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am really trying to get the protein grams and calories in but can't seem to stomach so much food. I've NEVER had trouble eating before. I've never been really overweight, but never really skinny either. At 17 weeks I was up 13 pounds which seems pretty good. But according to Barbara Luke's book I am failing miserably in terms of calories and protein. (I'm vegetarian so it is hard work getting the protein in) My midwife isn't worried - just says eat to appetite. But I want big healthy babies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 06:26 PM

Gaining lots of weight and eating tons of protein will boost your odds. But they arent the only way to have big healthy babies. (meaning, if you dont quite reach your goal, it doesnt mean your babies will suffer)
At 32 weeks I had gained maybe 12 lbs. At 40 weeks I gained no more than 20 or so.
And yet I had 7lb 10 oz, and 7 lb 13 oz twins born AFTER term..
You dont say whether or not you are vegan or if you are concerned about your sugar.
The way I was able to maximize my calorie intake was with whole milk and milkshakes. I would go to the convenience store and get one of those big like quart sized things of whole chocolate milk. They are like 500 calories and had like 36 grams of protein ( 9grams per cup of milk). Anyway i drank one like every day. It didnt have a lot of nutrients except the protein and calcium. But at that point every calorie counted. And I found that while I could not eat much, liquid calories didnt fill me up like real food did, so It was easier to get extra protein and calories in.
Good luck
Joline
Old 09-20-2005, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not a vegan and it's funny 'cause chocolate milk is my afternoon snack every day! When it gets colder I will switch to hot chocolate. I can't stomach full fat milk though. It's good to hear that you had such healthy babies without big weight gain. Makes me feel a lot better since force-feeding myself is horrible!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:00 PM

If it is skim can you up the fat a little like to 1% and then maybe to 2%? Do it a little at a time maybe?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi Sassy -

Dr. Luke's diet is tough. I am a "big girl" -- size 12, 5 foot 9 -- big appetite. Could NOT eat the Dr. Luke diet. I did what your midwife said - ate to appetite - and had 3 babies all over 5 pounds and born at 34 weeks - no NICU stay.

I also drink whole milk and chocolate milk as a way to boost calories, protein, etc. with minimal stomach "room".

I'm with your midwife - eat to appetite -- you will do great!

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
Old 09-20-2005, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy
I am really trying to get the protein grams and calories in but can't seem to stomach so much food. I've NEVER had trouble eating before. I've never been really overweight, but never really skinny either. At 17 weeks I was up 13 pounds which seems pretty good. But according to Barbara Luke's book I am failing miserably in terms of calories and protein. (I'm vegetarian so it is hard work getting the protein in) My midwife isn't worried - just says eat to appetite. But I want big healthy babies!
I so know what you mean!! I am 18 1/2 weeks and have only gained 5 lbs, and I eat like crazy!!! Ive been eating alot of egg salad sandwiches and drinking chocolate milk. Do u eat eggs at all? Cause I put them in alot of things. If you eat eggs LMK and I can give you my recipes.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:58 AM

We did the shake & egg thing, too...DH was like a dictator about food.

And I am an even "BIGGER girl", tripmom lol

Only gained 24 lbs and had a two 6+pounder boys at full term, so your appetite is probably quite sufficient..
Old 09-21-2005, 06:18 AM

I'm with you. I'm about 12 weeks along and have gained 2 pounds so far. I'm eating as much as I can, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. Both my midwife and OB (yes, I have one of each) said the same as yours: eat to appetite. Make sure you're getting a well balanced day with some protein and calcium, whole wheat products, etc but don't stress about making minimum requirements. Except for the water, they both said at least 2 Liters a day. I've been doing fruit and yogurt (full fat or double fat, as we're in Germany) shakes in the morning on a couple of people's suggestions. If you're concened about protein, you could always add a bit of protein powder to the shakes.

While you need to make sure you eat often and healthy, your state of mind is also going to be just as critical to growing those two little babes inside. Now if only I could take my own advice....

Paula
Old 09-21-2005, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! Double fat yogurt sounds delicious! You have such yummy dairy products in Germany. I'm 20 weeks and have gained about 17 pounds so I'm doing ok. But lately it's really a struggle to eat. I feel like I could eat more when I wasn't pregnant.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:59 AM

I was planning on Bradley Birth (dd legs got trapped in my pelvis : ) and the suggestion at the time was 60 grams of protein per baby! I, too, had a rotten time getting all that food down my gullet.

One thing that really helped was getting a box of Luna Bars. My personal favorite is the Lemon Zest and one bar is 10 grams of protein. Also lentils, chick peas, kidney beans, any legumes really is a big help.

You also may be eating more protein than you think. On the Bradley Birth website (not sure what the policy is of posting links really) there is a downloadable Excel spreadsheet that helps calculate your protein intake and has a very large list of foods, their serving amounts, and the amount of protein each. It's free.

Hang in there!

- Lisa
: -Mama-In-Training - Mama to 15mo b/g twins

Waldorf mama to 5yo b/g twins
Old 09-23-2005, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medeanj
I was planning on Bradley Birth (dd legs got trapped in my pelvis : ) and the suggestion at the time was 60 grams of protein per baby! I, too, had a rotten time getting all that food down my gullet.

One thing that really helped was getting a box of Luna Bars. My personal favorite is the Lemon Zest and one bar is 10 grams of protein. Also lentils, chick peas, kidney beans, any legumes really is a big help.

You also may be eating more protein than you think. On the Bradley Birth website (not sure what the policy is of posting links really) there is a downloadable Excel spreadsheet that helps calculate your protein intake and has a very large list of foods, their serving amounts, and the amount of protein each. It's free.

Hang in there!

- Lisa
: -Mama-In-Training - Mama to 15mo b/g twins

Can you send me the link to that? Id be interested in using it myself, cause I dont really keeptrack daily of how much protien I eat and I know I need to. We did keep track of weekly protien intake at my bradley class with DS, and wanted to retake it this time around but no one around here teaches it anymore, I cant even find a workbook...... :
Old 09-23-2005, 10:24 AM

Yeah, I was vegetarian too (I say "was", b/c at some point I gave up b/c I started craving steak and pork chops and decided to follow my body's lead . . .. ) It IS really hard to eat the quantity of food you need for a twin pregnancy, just do the best you can.

I did 120 grams of protein daily (I counted everything I ate) I ate a lot of :

Milk shakes
Hagen Daz ice cream
protein shakes
eggs, eggs, eggs
Stoeffer's frozen mac and cheeze dinners (full of lots of things I can't pronounce, but it was the only thing I could tolerate for weeks at a time when I had really bad morning sickness.)
power bars (Luna, Balance, etc.)

Make sure you drink your water too

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:04 PM

Let me start off by telling you I have two sets of twins. During my first pregnancy, I was neurotic about eating the correct amount of protein, stressed about how much weight I was gaining, etc. I delivered at 38w6d, my daughter weighed 6lbs 0oz and my son weighed 5lbs 4oz.

Second pregnancy, I could NOT stomach meat, couldnt even stand the smell of it. I ate basically what I wanted, which included a lot of sushi (cooked of course) and fruit. I drank a lot of water, but really, only to my thirst (jsut so happened that I was really thirsty). I delivered at 37w4d, my son weighed 6lbs 6oz and my daughter weighed 5lbs 5oz.

So, not much difference in terms of the length of the pregnancy or birth weights at all.

I believe your body knows what to do and how to "grow" babies. Please try not to stress about it and just enjoy the miracle(s) you're growing.

Oh and btw, I had them both vaginally, first set came 10 min apart, 2nd set came 4 minutes apart -- no tearing or anything either time. And, I went into labor on my own as well.

You can do this too.

Take care,
Nancy
Old 09-23-2005, 07:57 PM

I am a plus size mom too, and I couldn't eat that much food! I ate whole milk, whole milk yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, peanut butter, sunflower butter, lots of whole grains, and MEAT!! Oh, and don't forget the potatoes!! IN EVERY FORM. . . baked, fried, fries, hash browns, soup, chips, etc.

The worst part, I was ALWAYS nauseated, so I hardly felt like eating. I ate fruit smoothies with a protien and green powder when I felt yucky.

Also, I ate spoons of sunflower butter in the middle of the night. It had lots of good fats and protiens in just a couple spoonfuls, so I could go back to bed quick.

After all that, I only gained 20 lbs and had two 7.5 lb. boys at 37.5 weeks.

Other things that helped: Omega oil suppliments, rrasberry leaf, nettle, alfalfa, suppliments with my pre-natal. Lots of rest (10-12 hours of sleep a day!!) and water to thirst.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Old 09-24-2005, 01:03 PM

Hi there! The first 14 weeks of my pregnancy I didn't gain anything, in fact I lost 6 lbs because I had such terrible morning sickness. Well as soon as I started my 2nd trimester, my morning sickness went away and my appetite came back! I gained 22 lbs in 8 weeks! I am 26 weeks now and have gained 28.5 lbs. I basically just eat what I want, when I want. I am kind of envious of all you girls who are TRYING to gain weight. With my son I gained 50 lbs, so I am expecting to gain AT LEAST that with the twins, but I will probably go way over. I am also drinking water to thirst, which to me makes the most sense. That is what I did while nursing, too.

For those of you who already gave birth to your twins, do you really think weight gain makes a difference in how big and healthy the babies are, or just quality of food? I have heard so many differing viewpoints and it seems there experiences to back up either argument.

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 09-24-2005, 11:23 PM

I had a hard time getting enough calories b/c I was so nauseous for most of the first 6 months. I used to drink the hi calorie, hi protein supplement shakes from the HFS - but they had to be VERY cold, and I mixed in some protein powder (also got it from the HFS) and more milk, and a bit of vanilla, yougurt or ice cream to improve the flavour. They got me through some days when I couldn't stomach anything or keep much down.
HTH
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Old 09-25-2005, 12:56 PM
kir

Sassy: You sound like me: someone who never had trouble with food, and now doesn't feel like eating at all. haha!

I'm now almost 29 weeks, and i'm vegetarian (I added eggs in though), and i can't say how it's gonna turn out, but what i'm doing is adding, every day, a few meals that i have to eat. I always have this stuff around, and it's a no-brainer:
- 1 bowl of yogurt with cut fruit, wheat germ, and some cinnamon. (I've added some homemade granola lately with lots of almonds and cashews - yum!)
- 1 egg and cheese or egg salad sandwich - i add some spinach or tomatoes to this
- 1 milk w/chocolate protein powder shake

These are my mini-meals almost every day. It helps not to open the fridge every single time and wonder what to do next. These are also meals i can eat even if i'm not too hungry. This way, i don't have to worry if the protein content at my regular meals isn't extremely high, b/c i have a certain amount of guaranteed protein in my mini-meals.

I also think that the supplements Luke talks about are really important. I've heard that as big an issue as protein is calcium, and i think her recommendation of cal-mag-zinc tablets helps a lot. Magnesium helps you absorb calcium or something. And that vitamin E and vitamin C is really great too.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I felt really guilty at first for not being a liver-pate and steak-eating girl, but you know what? I can't change that, and i'm doing the best with the diet i feel is right for me....others do great with even a vegan diet!

Good luck!!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymom
For those of you who already gave birth to your twins, do you really think weight gain makes a difference in how big and healthy the babies are, or just quality of food? I have heard so many differing viewpoints and it seems there experiences to back up either argument.
I think BOTH have the potential to stack the deck in your favor but for some women neither is necessary. Just do the best you can and your body will do the best it can.
I tried and tried to gain wait on a healthy diet and just couldnt, so I added in lots of vanilla shakes, ice cream and chocolate milk. I managed to gain maybe 20 lbs at the most.
Not much weight gain. In the end, much of my food was not healthy.
And yet I delivered at 40 weeks 1 day babies who were 7lbs 10 oz and 7 lbs 13 oz.
I think the primary influence is what cannot be controlled. Such as moms health before pregnancy. Quality of the placental connection. Healthy placentas. Health throughout pregnancy. etc. . .
So because so much hinges on what cannot be controlled all you can do is control what you CAN control, which is diet and rest. Gaining a lot of weight probably does stack the deck in favor of larger babies. Healthy food probably does stack the deck in favor of a healthier pregnancy and carryign healthy babies to term. But they can only do so much.
Just my opinion
Old 09-30-2005, 08:28 PM

THANKS for this post!! This is something I've been worried about, even though my doctors don't seem to be. I lost about seven or eight pounds due to morning sickness, and only now have surpassed my pre-preg weight, and I'll be 20 weeks tomorrow. So suffice it to say, there's no way I'll be making the 24 pounds by 24 weeks mark Dr. Luke recommends. I do eat to appetite and never deny myself anything, but I don't count protein grams or anything...guess I should start! That chocolate milk is a good idea, and the yogurt, fruit, etc....thanks, mommas!
Old 10-01-2005, 02:21 AM

Thanks, Joline! I appreciate it.

Blessed mama of four
::

User Tag List