Mothering Forum banner

Do you have other multiples in your family?

• Yes, in recent generations

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Yes, but more than a generation ago

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Not at all

Votes: 12 30.8%

Do twins really run in families?

4K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  royaloakmi 
#1 ·
Hi!

I am just poking around various boards here and I have always been intrigued by multiples. My grandmother was a twin, and so were her cousins (born within a month of each other AT HOME!), but no one in her or my mother's generation had twins.

If you have "spontaneous" twins, do they run in your family? (ie, what are my odds of makin' 2 babies at once? :LOL)

#27 ·
Only one set of twins known in my family and they were the siblings of my paternal grandfather. They were either still born or died in infancy.

In addition to a woman being genetically predisposed to releasing multiple eggs, haven't they started to believe/discover that as women age their bodies begin releasing multiple eggs to help insure that at least one egg gets fertilized and becomes a baby? Anyone else read this? I've heard over thirty and over thirty-five. It makes sense to me. Most of the people I know with twins happen to be in their thirties, me included.

#28 ·
Just an FYI on the twins skipping a generation myth. Twins (or the likelyhood of twins) will skip a generation if the twin gene is carried on the paternal line. For example if your father was a twin the "twin gene" would not cause your mother to ovulate 2 eggs so it is likely that your father will not have twins, but his daughters will carry the "twin gene" increasing the odds of having twins, therefore skipping a generation.

Info is from the John Hopkins twins study on generational mz twinning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.