When carrying twins in later pregnancy. . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-29-2005, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what does it feel like? I'm just curious. . . I don't think I'm having twins (although dh keeps having dreams that we are, lol) but last night as we sat on the couch feeling the huge thumps and rolls in my belly (I'm about 37 weeks), I really wondered what having TWO large babies inside would feel like. Is it something you experienced mamas who have had both twin pregnancies and singleton pregnancies to compare can describe, or is it something you just can't describe at all? (Which I would believe. . .the whole amazing and awe-some experience of carrying life at all is difficult to describe to people who haven't experienced it, so I can understand if you can't share in words.)

I just read the thread about diagnosing twins without ultrasound, and have heard many stories (including that of my own grandmother) about a surprise twin (2nd baby surprise!!) and wonder if, by movement alone (not palpation) you just can't tell a difference?? That seems amazing to me!

Well, if you have the inclination to satisfy my curiousity, I thank you.

Kelli, radical unschooling mama to four beautiful homebirthed lovies (ages 14, 9, 5, and 19 months) 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-29-2005, 09:54 PM

I have carried one 10lb 5oz baby and twins that were 8lb 2oz and 7lb 15oz and I think the single baby moved more, I guess he just had more room
It is pretty indescribable being pregnant with twins, it was sooo different from my single pregnancy.
#3 of 10 Old 10-30-2005, 02:11 AM

One baby moved much more than the other. There were times I could feel 4 different parts moving at once, which was incredible. Most of the time it was one baby or the other.
#4 of 10 Old 10-30-2005, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, Sarah and Adria! I would think that two babies would feel much different, but you just hear so often about people not knowing. . .now in my grandmother's case, her twins were her first pregnancy, so maybe since she didn't have anything to compare it to, it didn't occur to her. It *sort of * reminds me of the stories you hear of women having babies who didn't know they were pregnant. . .when I hear those, I think, man! How out of touch with your body are YOU?? LOL! I mean, how could you not know?? But you hear it more with the twins stories, so I was really curious about whether or not there was a difference in feeling.
Anyway, someone has pushed my ramble-button -
thanks again!

Kelli, radical unschooling mama to four beautiful homebirthed lovies (ages 14, 9, 5, and 19 months) 
#5 of 10 Old 10-30-2005, 06:10 PM

Definitely LESS movement w/ twins later in pg - not enough room!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#6 of 10 Old 10-30-2005, 07:32 PM

I could DEFINITELY tell I had twins by movement. I saw 5 limbs poking out in 5 different directions. I counted the small lumps. TOo small to be a head or butt. But this only happenned a couple of times. If I hadn't been looking I might never have noticed.
Other than that, at 37 weeks carryign twins was painful. My hipbones felt like they were going to break in 2. I could barely sit down my bottom felt so sore.(especialy not on anything unpadded.

Joline
#7 of 10 Old 11-02-2005, 12:12 AM

I could tell which twin was moving, I never thought I'd be able to, but I could. And the combined weight of the babies, almost 13 lbs total, made my hips feel like they could crack open everytime I stood up. I also pretty much felt like a beached whale. The day before they were born people were saying to me "you ARE having twins, right?"
#8 of 10 Old 11-02-2005, 07:46 PM

Thought I'd share a pic two days b/f delivery - & that's only nine pounds of baby! http://images.kodakgallery.com/photo...2103_0_ALB.jpg

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#9 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Analisa! That doesn't look comfortable at all. Seeing that skews my perception of my own belly and makes me feel positively compact! LOL!

I appreciate all the feedback. . .it seems like a consensus that two babies are pretty apparent if you are paying attention. I assume most of you also had a twin "diagnosis" (for lack of a better word) by some medical professional which might make it a little more obvious since you know to BE paying attention, but most UPers like me do belly mapping and are paying attention in general, so I can assume from your feedback that carrying two would be pretty apparent toward the end.

(My dh is joking that having said this, our placenta will cry and I will have to eat crow, lol!)

#10 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkymom
I appreciate all the feedback. . .it seems like a consensus that two babies are pretty apparent if you are paying attention. I assume most of you also had a twin "diagnosis" (for lack of a better word) by some medical professional which might make it a little more obvious since you know to BE paying attention, but most UPers like me do belly mapping and are paying attention in general, so I can assume from your feedback that carrying two would be pretty apparent toward the end.

(My dh is joking that having said this, our placenta will cry and I will have to eat crow, lol!)
Actually my twins were not "diagnosed" till I was 32 weeks along. So when I saw 5 limbs poking out I was really counting on my fingers and wondering how it was possible. I was only then just beginning to suspect twins.

Joline

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page