MOMs (Mothers of Multiples) & AP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-05-2005, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My local group doesn't appear to be something I/we would mesh real well with.

On one of their main pages, Babywise is honored several times. It also appears to be a Christian-based club. I didn't venture to the forums because I didn't want to get myself riled up.

From your experiences is this true of the MOMs organization in general? Will any information at the meetings be helpful for AP parents?
#2 of 8 Old 11-05-2005, 02:59 PM

I think they vary by geographic area a little bit. I attended one meeting in my area (while I was pregnant) and decided it wasn't really for me. It wasn't overly Christian or anything, but it was clearly more "mainstream". Most of the moms were going back to work ASAP after their babies were born and I got really lukewarm feedback on breastfeeding. (In fact, there meetings are in the evening and you weren't allowed to bring your babies, so I couldn't attend b/c I was bf-ing and they didn't take a bottle, so I couldn't leave them as infants.) La Leche League was much more helpful to me before and after my babes were born.
#3 of 8 Old 11-06-2005, 01:58 AM

i found them to be very schedule-oriented. i'm sure it's helpful for a lot of people but not at all my thing.

they were also heavy in to the "you must get help" philosophy. while, in theory, that is nice it just isn't possible for everyone.
#4 of 8 Old 11-06-2005, 03:11 AM

We had an eclectic mix although the schedule approach is/was heavily suggested. The other AP parents I found were both mums of triplets - lol. I am definitely on the crunchy side of my group (homeschooling, EN 3 kids at the same time etc) but there were still a lot of things of value I got out of the group. Parenting multiples in the first two or three years is just such a different experience that it was nice to have some people to share that with.

Hope you find somewhere that you feel comfortable.
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#5 of 8 Old 11-06-2005, 05:22 PM

I am heavily involved in mine and after my first meeting I actually cried and said I'd never go back. What changed me was when I realized that if I didn't go back, they might never meet someone who would encourage gentle discipline and bfing on demand with multiples. I am now the "go to" girl on breastfeeding. Even those who parent differently aren't ugly to me.
#6 of 8 Old 11-09-2005, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralou
I am heavily involved in mine and after my first meeting I actually cried and said I'd never go back. What changed me was when I realized that if I didn't go back, they might never meet someone who would encourage gentle discipline and bfing on demand with multiples. I am now the "go to" girl on breastfeeding. Even those who parent differently aren't ugly to me.
I'm going to my first meeting tomorrow, and I'm nervous. But the above post has inspired me to stick with it for a couple of meetings at least. I'm currentlyt in a volunteer organization that is mainly Babywise/FF, but I gets lots of kudos for EBF and CD. I'm ike the "earth mother" member People actually seek me out to ask about BF and cosleeping so I figure that if I keep one mother BFing for an additional month, it is worth my time. Since BF/CD/NFL isn't really in vogue here, I don't want to be invisible to others that might want to change their ways.
#7 of 8 Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralou
Awesome encouragement to get involved! I didn't think about it from that angle.

The mail I got a few days ago highly encouraged a baby sitter for the meetings. How many Mamas show up with nurslings?
#8 of 8 Old 11-21-2005, 04:45 AM

Late here, but I found the LLL better resource than the twins club b/c I had more questions about nursing an no one in the twins clubs did that. Have you tried the yahoo group APmultiples? It is a nice group by and large and you can get good advice there too. It is mostly families with younger infants .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page