Anyone expecting twins/triplets soon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-22-2005, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I'm 35 weeks pregnant and with the big day drawing near (at least my belly feels like it is), I'm getting a bit nervous. I'm mostly worried about the labor. Since this is my first pregnancy, I'm not sure what it's like to have one baby, so two is a little daunting and exciting all at the same time. I have a wonderful, supportive husband (who will be the SAHD) and a great doula. But most people around me don't have the same ideas I do about childbirth, especially natural childbirth and breastfeeding. Just wondering if anyone was in the same boat or had some words of wisdom, things you wish you had known.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-22-2005, 12:09 PM

Congrats!

My twins are a little over 2 months now. The best advice I would give is to stick to what you really want and not back down. Don't just do whatever the doc says to do. You do have a choice even though they make it seem like you don't. I ended up having mine at home, but I saw a doc the whole time and I argued with him over almost everything. There were very few things he would not back down on. Most things he would tell me they were going to do (constant fetal monitoring, pulling 2nd baby out if breech, etc.) and when I said no he said OK. The only thing he said I would have to do was have the babies in the operating room and after seeing the room I was determined to not have them in it. I would do a tour of the hospital if you have not already so that you are not surprised by anything the day of the birth. Good luck on the birth of your babies!

And with breastfeeding pretty much don't listen to anyone, there are very few people supportive of it with twins. You can do it, for me it has not been hard at all.
#3 of 13 Old 11-22-2005, 05:42 PM

Hi There,
I'm new to this forum, but love it! I'm 36w2d with twins, and am planning a hospital birth with a doctor that is very supportive of vaginal delivery. The current position of my babes are Twin A is head down and Twin B is Breech. She will most likely extract Baby B if she doesn't turn, which is a little scary, but I still think I prefer it to a C-Section.

I'm planning on breastfeeding and have found the most supportive people are Post Partum Doulas.. I have a couple helping me out after their birth. In addition, through a doula I found a woman in my area who is currently breastfeeding her 3 week old twins very successfully!

Stacy
#4 of 13 Old 11-22-2005, 07:15 PM

My twins are 10 months but the birth went wonderful and smoothly. Good luck!
#5 of 13 Old 11-23-2005, 03:44 AM
kir

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann_1
The current position of my babes are Twin A is head down and Twin B is Breech. She will most likely extract Baby B if she doesn't turn, which is a little scary, but I still think I prefer it to a C-Section.

Stacy
I'm in the same situation, but I'm 37 weeks (tomorrow).

The problem is that Twin A is also not growing so well and also has moderately low fluid.

I think all this adds up -- with my doctor at least -- to a c-section. I'm trying to take it one appointment at a time and really consider the options. I would overwhelmingly prefer a vaginal birth, but I don't want to be hard-headed if one twin really is having trouble. Tomorrow I'm getting checked again, and if Twin A has grown a little that will be great.

I find it difficult to be totally consistent with all the things I believe in, and as it gets closer to delivery time my concerns shift a lot. I'm not sure what's going to happen!
#6 of 13 Old 11-23-2005, 08:02 PM

Good luck with your appt Kir. I know what you mean about concerns shiffting a lot. If Twin A is a lot smaller than Twin B, I have heard this be a reason why a c-section is preferred. When did they diagnose this? The reason I ask is because I had a growth ultrasound a few weeks ago, and the growth was normal, but my doctor hasn't mentioned having to do any more tests. She has however checked the fluid via ultrasound.

Warmly,
Stacy
#7 of 13 Old 11-23-2005, 09:10 PM

Are you planning a home birth or a hospital birth? I can share some of my experiences with a hospital birth of twins, but not sure if that is what you are looking for. I think there are definitely a lot more hard to predict variables with a hospital birth. But I have never had a home birth, so it is hard to compare.
#8 of 13 Old 11-25-2005, 09:11 AM
kir

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann_1
If Twin A is a lot smaller than Twin B, I have heard this be a reason why a c-section is preferred. When did they diagnose this?
Well, the guy doing yesterday's ultrasound said the Baby A has "caught up" and there's nothing funny going on now. A good reminder that there's a huge margin of error in ultrasounds and not to get alarmed over moderate changes in things!

I've been having tons (way too many, IMHO) of ultrasounds b/c I had a little PIH, and then my doctor wanted to make sure it wasn't affecting blood flow to the babies (it didn't; they're fine).

Now I have a doctor's appt tomorrow...let's see what she says about the urgency of delivering. I REALLY don't want to deliver before the babies are actually clamoring to come out....Kind of nervous about this appointment....
#9 of 13 Old 11-25-2005, 11:49 PM

Good Luck tomorrow Kiran. I hear you about not wanting to deliver before the babies insist. I hope the appt goes well! It does go to show, that one ultrasound doesn't really guarantee anything. The information can change easily at the next one!

Stacy
#10 of 13 Old 12-01-2005, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone and thanks for all the good advice.
I actually delivered my twins last week on Thanksgiving Day before I got a chance to read your advice lol, but everything worked out very well.
I had a really good doula and hospital staff. Also my husband has been very supportive, which is a real blessing.
Things at the delivery went very well, except for I had to be induced, my babies had stopped growing well. It turned out not to be as bad as I expected.
I wasn't tied down to any monitors, which made me happy and even when I had an internal monitor connected the staff made sure I could still walk around and move as much as I wanted.
On the postpartum ward, I was known as the lady who labored unmedicated for 12 hours and delivered twins naturally. The hospital where I delivered has a 29% c-section rate and delivering twins vaginally is apparently pretty rare.
So I'm pretty happy. The babies are 6 days old now and breastfeeding is going pretty well.

Thanks for your support!

Kilian Hrafn Arnarson 3lbs 13oz
Bjorgvin Alec Arnarson 4lbs 1oz
#11 of 13 Old 12-01-2005, 03:52 AM

Congrats and welcome to the babes! Glad to hear all went well and they are doing great!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#12 of 13 Old 12-01-2005, 04:04 AM

Congrats!

I will be 29 weeks on saturday.....and just hoping to make it til 37 weeks.....we will see.
#13 of 13 Old 12-02-2005, 08:33 AM

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page