Quick question about hearing twin heartbeats - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-31-2005, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I am just dropping in for a quick question--
Can and do you hear your twin's heartbeat with a doppler? Is that how you found out?

My MW thinks she heard two hb's one in the 130-140 range, the other in the 150-160 range. We spent a while trying to figure it out! Also, according to her measurements I'm at 26 weeks, but will be 20 weeks on Sunday (I was charting, so we know the dates are on, aside from the fact that no hb was detected at the 10week appt.).

Anyway, I was just wondering if your midwives or ob's listen with the doppler. I know this is not a good way to detect twins, so I thought I'd ask over here.

Oh, and she says she'll be able to tell at the next appt. and we'll get an ultrasound then, but I'm thinking I may ask her to just do one sooner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 12-31-2005, 10:37 AM

My OB did not use a doppler. I saw another OB during the course of my pregnancy who did use it, but could not hear independent heartbeats with accuracy. My doula (who is also a midwife) found it very difficult to hear independent heartbeats with a stethoscope too, I guess it has to do with positioning.

I'm guessing most people find out about twins b/c they measure large for their date and then have an ultrasound to confirm.
#3 of 11 Old 12-31-2005, 02:27 PM

Mine couldn't hear seperate hearbeats until very close to the end.
#4 of 11 Old 12-31-2005, 04:16 PM

My mw could hear the 2 hb, but only after we knew and she was trying really hard. When I went in at 14 weeks and measured 20 she could not find 2 hb, but I went in and got an u/s and there were 2!
#5 of 11 Old 12-31-2005, 07:41 PM

My mw was able to hear 2 heartbeats from 13 weeks on. I have heard that it is very dependent on positioning. With what you are describing (2 different bpm's, large measure-for-dates) it sounds like twins are a definite possibility
#6 of 11 Old 12-31-2005, 09:27 PM

We could never hear two distinct heartbeats unless they were monitored with a non-stress test (at the end).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#7 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 12:30 AM

We never heard two, except at the NSTs at the end. I actually had a really quick u/s at about 14 weeks that only showed one baby! Still, I wasn't that surprised 4 weeks later to have a real u/s and see two. I was the size of Texas.
#8 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 02:49 PM

hi Louise!
My dr. heard 2 separate heartbeats from the beginning; however, we knew that there were two so we looked for the other. There were always distinctively different rates - although, on occasion we heard an echo of the first heartbeat elsewhere.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#9 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicerosum
Hi all,
I am just dropping in for a quick question--
Can and do you hear your twin's heartbeat with a doppler? Is that how you found out?

My MW thinks she heard two hb's one in the 130-140 range, the other in the 150-160 range. We spent a while trying to figure it out! Also, according to her measurements I'm at 26 weeks, but will be 20 weeks on Sunday (I was charting, so we know the dates are on, aside from the fact that no hb was detected at the 10week appt.).

Anyway, I was just wondering if your midwives or ob's listen with the doppler. I know this is not a good way to detect twins, so I thought I'd ask over here.

Oh, and she says she'll be able to tell at the next appt. and we'll get an ultrasound then, but I'm thinking I may ask her to just do one sooner!

You already have two indications that you're carrying twins -- several weeks large for dates and a pick-up on two distinct heart rates. However, neither is the most reliable way to detect twins -- the ultrasound is.

Will knowing now vs. at your next appt. change anything you're currently doing already, e.g. will you change your diet or be more concsious/pay attention to "silent" contractions, etc.? If there are changes you'd make, you may want to bump up the date of the u/s. (Why wasn't that suggested when 2 separate rates were heard, anyway?) If you'd change nothing, it probably makes no difference...

Karen
#10 of 11 Old 01-12-2006, 06:17 PM

Did your U/S find one or two?
#11 of 11 Old 01-12-2006, 07:11 PM

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page