Did anyone have an undetected twin at their 1st ultrasound? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-25-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure you twin/multiple mamas hear this all the time (and I imagine get sick of hearing it) but I think I'm having twins.
I went for my scan on Feb 18th. The tech said that it looked like only one baby. But that one can easily hide behind the other early on. She said that she thought I was 6 weeks. I am 99% sure that I was 8 weeks. Everyone seems to think that I'm having twins. I am huge. Measured 10 weeks at the time of the U/S. This morning laying on my back I can clearly feel the top of my uterus over halfway between my pubic bone & my belly button. (and I'm not inexperienced- this is my 9th pregnancy...6th live baby) I feel way sicker & sleep at least 12 out of every 24 hours. I just can't shake this feeling that there really are 2 & she just missed the 2nd one.

Has anyone gone for an early ultrasound & NOT seen the 2nd one...only to have it appear later on?

I am going for my next midwifery apt in a few days & I think I'm going to beg for a repeat scan.

{FYI: I did lose a baby in December (in the cycle before conceiving this time) & can't help wondering if maybe it physiologically or emotionally has something to do with it...like an echo or something...if that makes any sense}

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#2 of 14 Old 02-25-2006, 07:23 PM

I would think that that early, the baby wouldn't have much to hide behind, kwim? There's so much room at that point, I just don't see it happening.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#3 of 14 Old 02-25-2006, 07:32 PM

We had an ultrasound at 8 weeks and he looked very closely and we only saw one baby. We went back at 14 weeks and surprise, there were 2!! They measured the same so they weren't conceived at different times. One was just hiding! I also had TERRIBLE morning sickness, too. If I had not had that ultrasound at 8 weeks I may have guessed twins, but I thought they had been ruled out. It wasn't until my 14 week appt. that I was measuring noticably ahead.

Blessed mama of four
::
#4 of 14 Old 02-25-2006, 08:29 PM

I had an ultrasound at 20 weeks to rule out placenta previa. The tech spent alot of time looking around, and there was only one baby. We feel like she did a thorough job. However, I suddenly measured very large at 28 weeks, and was sent for another u/s, which showed a second baby. A few people had snarky comments about how my midwives should have noticed that I was having twions by then, but even after they knew I was having them, they had a very hard time finding two different heartbeats, because they were in rhythm. And then I'm like, I had an ULTRASOUND, and it didn't show two babies! They're not always infallible .

Unlike alot of twin moms, I did not have bad morning sickness, and we didn't have any reason to suspect that I was pregnant with twins, other than my belly getting very big suddenly.
#5 of 14 Old 02-26-2006, 07:04 PM

I had my first ultrasound at 5.5 or 6 weeks and there was one heartbeat.

I had my second ultrasound about 5 or 6 days later and there were TWO heartbeats.

Talk about shock. I was enormous by about 4 months, so I think we would have figured it out at that point anyway.
#6 of 14 Old 02-26-2006, 07:06 PM

I had my first ultrasound at 5.5 or 6 weeks and there was one heartbeat.

I had my second ultrasound about 5 or 6 days later and there were TWO heartbeats.

Talk about shock. I was enormous by about 4 months, so I think we would have figured it out at that point anyway.

I'd get another scan if your intuition tells you otherwise. (I had a "feeling" too, even that early.)
#7 of 14 Old 02-26-2006, 08:30 PM

Yes at 6 weeks it is possible to miss twins. Most u/s's that early are looking for heartbeats and the heartbeat is suppose to be visible by 6 weeks however sometimes it can be 7 weeks before it shows. So if you had an u/s at 6 weeks and it showed one hb and have another one a few weeks later you could have 2 hb's then.

I find it harder to believe when the u/s techs miss twins at later stages (although I can see it happening). It seems really hard to believe that one twin could hide behind the other at say 20 weeks and only move when the other twin mves so you never see the other baby. My twins were very active from week 15 on and in every u/s I had you could see extra body parts even when one was behind the other. I'm not saying it can't be missed later but it seems to me that it would much harder for a twin to be missed later.
#8 of 14 Old 02-26-2006, 09:43 PM

My twin preg was missed a 6 weeks.. but I think that's because he wasn't looking for it. At 7 weeks he saw 2 sacs/heartbeats.
#9 of 14 Old 02-28-2006, 12:43 AM

I had 2 ultrasounds at 6 and 10 weeks and we still did not see 2 babies until 15 weeks. You never know!
#10 of 14 Old 02-28-2006, 01:08 AM

Different situation as, I didn't have an u/s until 31 weeks, & that was the very 1st thing the tech noticed - "The first thing I see is that you have at least 2 in there!"
#11 of 14 Old 03-01-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCmamaof5

Has anyone gone for an early ultrasound & NOT seen the 2nd one...only to have it appear later on?

I am going for my next midwifery apt in a few days & I think I'm going to beg for a repeat scan.

{FYI: I did lose a baby in December (in the cycle before conceiving this time) & can't help wondering if maybe it physiologically or emotionally has something to do with it...like an echo or something...if that makes any sense}
My friend had an early ultrasound that missed a second baby (she was high in the uterous but since they are only looking for 1 they didn't even check the rest of her uterous for a secod if that makes sense).

I also concieved my twins right after a miscarrige. (no period between). Apparently twins are more common after a loss. It's one of several "risk" factors and the only one I had.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#12 of 14 Old 03-06-2006, 02:48 PM

My twins were seen at the six week u/s, but only because I asked the technician to look for twins. When she first got everything turned on, there was only one baby/heartbeat and sac on the screen. She was like, "here's your baby!" And I said, "where's the other one?" And then, she looked all around and found the other. It took her a while to be able to get both babies on the screen at the same time (for that oh-so-cute first photo), so I can definitely see how it would be possible to miss twins at 6 weeks.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#13 of 14 Old 03-07-2006, 05:04 PM

We only got a "shot" of one at my first u/s and the midwife only heard one hearbeat, too, at 10 weeks. I went in after some spotting and such at 14 weeks when the OB quickly noted that they both were doing just fine....BOTH???!!!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#14 of 14 Old 03-22-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmom
I find it harder to believe when the u/s techs miss twins at later stages (although I can see it happening). It seems really hard to believe that one twin could hide behind the other at say 20 weeks and only move when the other twin mves so you never see the other baby. My twins were very active from week 15 on and in every u/s I had you could see extra body parts even when one was behind the other. I'm not saying it can't be missed later but it seems to me that it would much harder for a twin to be missed later.
It IS hard to believe that they missed my second baby at a 20-week u/s. The baby we saw was very active, too, so I was positive that there weren't two babies in there. The tech at the 20 week u/s was a student, and the person who did the second u/s was the theacher at the college where I had the u/s done (they were free, since they were done at the school). The teacher was very upset at the student for not catching it at 20 weeks. But she looked around for at least an hour, and we didn't see anything that gave us reason to suspect another baby, and definitely didn't hear a second heartbeat. I don't know how it happened, and while it was a shock, it's kind of a fun story to share with people.

I tell people that instead of having vanishing twin syndrome, I had APPEARING twin syndrome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page