Happiest Toddler? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 03-22-2006, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone out there read "Happiest Toddler on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp? I lOVED LOVED LOVED Happiest Baby on the Block, but I'm just not getting the same results w/ my toddlers. Maybe I'm not speaking "Toddler-ese" right. Maybe my experience is going to be different since I have twins? For example, I notice that when I sit down to play w/ them, sometimes they don't even care - they have each other. Taking "time-ins" is high prority in the book.

Anyone have any results (good or bad) w/ this?

btw, I x-posted this in toddlers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-23-2006, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I've read most (not all of it).

I forgot to look at your sig and see how old yours are, but I didn't find it really useful either. And with my two, their whole life has been one big "time-in" since they never wanted to be without me for a second until very recently. (Mine never interacted much till they were about two years.)

While I didn't use "toddler-ese" I did find that verbally empathizing with my son when he was more pre-verbal and having tantrums (around 18 months) helped. Now that he can really talk, whenever I say things like "you're really, REALLY mad that you can't do ____________!" He looks at me as if to say: "Uh, duh mom . . . that's why I'm laying down here on the ground screaming and crying!!"

In general, I found many other much more useful books (like Playful Parenting, for example.)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page