Newborn essentials for twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-19-2006, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking about skipping the newborn car seats and just buying 2 Roundabouts. Is this silly? Will I need the convenience of transporting them in the carriers?

Do I need one swing or two (or none??)?

What is the best type of double stroller? Front/back or next to one another? Any specific model? Any features I should look for or look to avoid?

What is the best nursing pillow?

Ummmmm . . . . any other "should haves" for twins?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 04-19-2006, 11:13 PM

I had the same idea with skipping the infant seat and boy am I glad my dh convinced me to get the infant seats. I moved the boys to convertible seats at 6 months and now I didn't go out much after moving them to the convertible seats.

We had one swing and one bouncy. However after they were readmitted to the hospital with rsv at 4 weeks old I went and bought another bouncy since they were both at home with moniters and oxygen. But if it wasn't for that I think one of each would have been plenty. I also had one excersaucer and one jumperoo (the excersaucer from my oldest, we bought the jumperoo for the twins), it worked but both for sure loved the jumperoo more.

I bought the Valco twin. Its a side by side with an attachment for my older so it turns into a triple. There is no way my twins would be happy with a tandem double. They'd be fighting to the death for the seat the other is in. I loved my stroller when the boys were younger but now I wish I had something a tad smaller.
#3 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 11:42 AM

I too had the infant carseats, and I'm glad I did!!!
As for the swings, I had two (but only b/c someone gave me both of them), and I'm really glad I had both. My twins loved the swing, and it seemed like they both always wanted to be in it at the same time. I also had two bouncy seats...when they started eating solids, I didn't want them in their high chairs yet, so I used the bouncy seats for feeding.
HTH!!
#4 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 01:22 PM

My twins are just 3 weeks so I don't have tons of experience, but so far I'm super glad we have our infant carrier seats (I've used the Roundabout with a newborn and it will seem quite large in the beginning, especially if your babies are on the smaller side - my singletons were 8lb8oz & 9lb8oz and the seat still seemed huge). We quickly ordered a Snap-n-Go Double after having them (we had a stroller from our younger dd that we could put one of the carriers in and saw very quickly how convenient that was). A good sling (I'm really liking my SlingSet pouch) - one for you & one for your dp. I did buy the EZ-2-Nurse pillow - I like it but I also can use regular pillows and honestly I prefer to nurse them solo. And if you're cloth diapering, get tons of dipes! I have 4 dozen and we still have to wash on a daily basis to keep up with them. It's crazy!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#5 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 01:41 PM

I also loved having two infant seats. Never want to wake a sleeping infant if you don't have to, especially with twins. i was unsure of what kind of double stroller I wanted so opted for a double Snap N Go in the beginning. And I LOVED it. That allowed me to take more time assessing strollers and what/where my outings would be like before making the big money stroller decision. My guys ended up being small too so I actually was able to keep them in their infant seats and the Snap N Go for a year.
#6 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_homebirthing
My twins are just 3 weeks so I don't have tons of experience, but so far I'm super glad we have our infant carrier seats (I've used the Roundabout with a newborn and it will seem quite large in the beginning, especially if your babies are on the smaller side - my singletons were 8lb8oz & 9lb8oz and the seat still seemed huge). We quickly ordered a Snap-n-Go Double after having them (we had a stroller from our younger dd that we could put one of the carriers in and saw very quickly how convenient that was). A good sling (I'm really liking my SlingSet pouch) - one for you & one for your dp. I did buy the EZ-2-Nurse pillow - I like it but I also can use regular pillows and honestly I prefer to nurse them solo. And if you're cloth diapering, get tons of dipes! I have 4 dozen and we still have to wash on a daily basis to keep up with them. It's crazy!
Congrats on the birth of your little babies!!! 8lb8oz & 9lb8oz... WOW!!! Thats definitely very reassuring
#7 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 03:07 PM

My twins are only 11w, but I can tell you what works for us. I hated the idea of getting the infant seats, since we started out with a convertable for DS1( he was 8lbs 5oz at birth). I'm soooo glad that I have the infant seats( we got Graco Snugrides) and the double Snap-N-Go. I'm getting a used Valco Twin Runabout that a PP mentioned, because of the toddler seat option. I'm glad that I have the time to research double strollers. It is a bigger investment than I thought.

I have 2 swings, one regular and one travel swing, both were DS1's. Diapers I also have from DS1, and purchased some more. I have 5 doz and do laundry every day. We have one bouncy seat and one crib. That is sufficient for now. They sleep with us at night and in the crib or where ever for naps. Glad I have the crib too- we never used one with DS1.

I have a Boppy and an Ez2Nurse pillow. I use the boppy more often, they seem lost in the Ez2Nurse right now.

We live in a small house and it is filled to the rim with stuff for 3 kids- but we have room to walk around so its okay

Congratulations and good luck! Twins are wonderful.
#8 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 03:16 PM

We decided to skip the infant carseats and go straight to a convertible. We use the Evenflo Triumph and it is very big but not too big because of all the extra infant inserts it comes with. They have worked great for us. We don't even have a double stroller and so far we have not missed it. Everytime we go in public I wear one and dh wears one. The babies are warm and safe next to us and they love checking things out from an adult level. We have an almost 3 year old and he just walks. I bought my dh a camoflage sling and he thinks it is cool.

We have 2 bouncy seats and we did have 2 swings until one broke and we decided to just get our money back instead of replacing it. The bouncy seats are a lifesaver and the swing is great, too. I will tandem nurse if I need to, but the milk comes out very fast that way and the babies sputter and get mad. So typically I am nursing one and bouncing another one in the bouncy seat with my foot. I have the EZ 2 Nurse pillow but it really is not that great in my opinion. I prefer using my Boppy in combination with other regular pillows.

We have 50 cloth diapers and that is more than enough. You can only wash so many diapers in a load anyway, so even if we have enough diapers left we have to do at least 2 loads of diapers when we wash them. I would get plenty of cloth wipes, too, at least 4 dozen.

Lot's of bibs and burp rags. We have about 20 bibs and it is not enough because they spit up so much and I am always running out.

Ton's of onesies.

I guess those are all the main things I would suggest. Defenitely get some slings!

Blessed mama of four
::
#9 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HATAWA
Congrats on the birth of your little babies!!! 8lb8oz & 9lb8oz... WOW!!! Thats definitely very reassuring
LOL - Those are the weights of my singletons. My twins were 6lb14oz & 7lb13oz, born at 37 weeks & 4 days - still not bad though!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#10 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 03:59 PM

Those are excellent weights for 37 weeks. Mine were 6 lbs 10 oz and 8 lbs 4 oz at 40 weeks.

Blessed mama of four
#11 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 04:11 PM

: on the infant seats. I didn't need it with my singleton, just pop her in the sling and go. But with twins you can't get out and do much by yourself without them. My DH works and goes to school so much of the shopping is done by me. I put one in a sling and keep one in the carseat in the cart and my dd in the cart if she is with me. Sometimes she stays with MIL just so I can get some food in the house.

When I go to target or someplace like that. I have one in the sling and my toddler and the other babe in the double Graco Glider. It is front back and can fit 2 carseats. Alot of double strollers don't take 2 carseats so make sure it is twin compatible. We didn't have alot of money to spend on a stroller so this works well for us.

I could not afford to buy diapers for twins so we use cloth. I already had some from dd but still had to buy more.Covers and prefolds. I wash diapers every 2 days or so. ANd with twins...who has time to run to the store for diapers all the time.

I also have one bouncy seat and a swing. Each have their favorite we don't have room for 2 of everything.

Good luck with your twins!

namaste
#12 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

First off - Congrats to all the new mommies!! I had no idea so many of the twins here were so recent of births.

Second - Thanks for all of the info! I feel so nervous and unsure of what to do and what to get with these twins. You would think after all of the kids I have had I would be so sure and such a pro at this. But honestly I keep double guessing what I will want/need. ANd at the same time, I am trying to keep my costs down by multi tasking items (ie the roundabout so as not to have to buy infant seats and then them). But maybe I am being ilogical. I know I will need my sanity and as I read your replies I started to think of trying to juggle two (possibly sleeping) babies from the house ino their seats in the truck while trying to keep my 3 yo from running off (she is in her, um, "independent" pase - read difficult ).

I know I want a swing for those difficult moments, but I wonder is one enough? Sure I could buy one now and one later - the frugal part of me says that is the best idea. but there is another part nagging that I lose the discount at TRU if I buy seperately, lol.

Aggggghhhh - maybe I need to stop overthinking all of this. Between nerves, physical pain and baby brain I am a wreck.

But thank you all again. If you think of anything to share I am interested!
#13 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 06:11 PM

Sure I could buy one now and one later - the frugal part of me says that is the best idea. but there is another part nagging that I lose the discount at TRU if I buy seperately, lol.

That's what I would do. One of twins hated the swing so buying 2 to begin with would have been a waste of money. I had one left from my singleton who became addicted to the swing in the nicu or I probably wouldn't have had that swing.
#14 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymom
We decided to skip the infant carseats and go straight to a convertible. We use the Evenflo Triumph and it is very big but not too big because of all the extra infant inserts it comes with. They have worked great for us. We don't even have a double stroller and so far we have not missed it. Everytime we go in public I wear one and dh wears one. The babies are warm and safe next to us and they love checking things out from an adult level. We have an almost 3 year old and he just walks. I bought my dh a camoflage sling and he thinks it is cool.
What do you do when out with the kids sans dh?
#15 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 06:47 PM

Essentials in duplicate we found useful were:

two slings (we have a Canadian brand called Cuddlywraps -- I think like a Moby wrap)
two carrier car seats (sleeping babes, and winter time, made them a lifesaver)
two saucers (one from son, one a loaner from a friend -- only really useful for about 3-4 weeks, but man we we get good use from them while they were interested... both of them contained so we could cook! or shower! or help our son get to the potty in time!)
and right now, two high chairs

things we had one of were:
bouncy seat
swing
EZ2nurse pillow (Nursing them together allowed at least *some* time in the day without a babe at the breast)
crib (they're still in one crib when they're not in bed with us)

One bit of advice is to check out a local consignment store. If you find they both *love* the swing or bouncy seat, get one when you need it -- but you might find they don't care much for either one. And these higher-ticket items are often much-o cheaper at a 2nd hand store, although often used little. I have now developed a pretty good relationship our local store so that the owner now gives me good deals on the stuff we bring in (I can't *wait* to bring in the evil saucers) and often a deal on the stuff I am buying.

Congrats and good luck!!
#16 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
What do you do when out with the kids sans dh?
Well I have not been brave enough to go without dh anywhere, and so far there really hasn't been a need. I rely very much on him with the kids. But if I needed to go somewhere without him I would wear a baby, put one baby in our single stroller and my 3 year old would walk. Doesn't sound like fun to me taking 3 kids out by myself, but that is how I would do it.

Blessed mama of four
#17 of 21 Old 04-20-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymom
Well I have not been brave enough to go without dh anywhere, and so far there really hasn't been a need. I rely very much on him with the kids. But if I needed to go somewhere without him I would wear a baby, put one baby in our single stroller and my 3 year old would walk. Doesn't sound like fun to me taking 3 kids out by myself, but that is how I would do it.
I hear ya! I am sure you would do great if you did!
#18 of 21 Old 04-21-2006, 02:25 AM

If you are planning on leaving the house much I would get the 2 infant carseats, but I could have easily gotten be without them also. My boys are big and outgrew them at 3 months and I really have missed being able to strap them in in the house.

We had one swing and borrowed another from a friend and never even got it out of the storage shed. I was almost always holding at least one of them. We also had 2 bouncy seats but only used one gave it away pretty early on too. My kids were never into being in anything much. The swing was great for keeping them asleep longer and the bouncy so I could go pee only holding one baby

I did not have a twin nursing pillow and until recently (they are 7 months) almost always nursed seperatly. They hated nursing together, but now they are getting competitive and have to nurse together.

As far as going out goes, I have gone out with the twins and my 3 yo by myself from about 8 weeks on. My dh was home for 7 weeks when they were born I am one of those people that has to get out of the house or I go crazy. When they were little I would put one or 2 in the sling, one in their carseat in the cart (if they were not in the sling) and my 3yo would walk or ride in the cart. Now that they are a little older I will put one in a sling (most of the time on my back) carry one or he rides in the cart and 3yo walks or is in the cart. I never use my double stroller. All of my kids hate riding in strollers and anytime I ever try to use it I just end up carrying babies and pushing the huge stroller.

Good luck with your babies
#19 of 21 Old 04-21-2006, 09:59 PM

Don't be in a huge hurry to buy stuff. Most everything can be borrowed or bought gently used.

The things I found invaluable: mini-pak n play. They could both sleep in it, I could roll it into different rooms during the day, one baby could sleep in it until about 20lbs., and I could keep it right next to the bed at night and switch out babies as I needed to.

White noise machine- actually a little one from a pak n play. It played water and cricket noise that was nice, and I LOVED the little light on it!!

Swings. 2 for the first few months. My boys loved swings HATED bouncy seats. You just never know what your kids will like so get one of each (used of course!!).

A changing table on each level of the house.

Infant car seats and the snap n go stroller because it is SOO light and easy to manuver!!

Lazy boy recliner!! then you can nurse and nap or sleep in comfort.

2 or more slings and/ or a bjorn or 2. I like a sling, but my dh and mom preferred the bjorns.

TONS OF MUNCHIES and easy to eat foods for mom.

A Big water bottle that you like to drink out of!!

I didn't use the nursing pillows because I am just too short waisted! I didn't need that much height . I also didn't nurse them together much until they were 4-5 months old. I enjoyed nursing one at a time, but then they insisted on getting equal treatment!!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#20 of 21 Old 04-21-2006, 10:12 PM

also, I got a lot of stuff off of my local freecycle- www.freecycle.org I posted- I am having twins, please help! And I ended up with a ton of stuff.

I pretty much have 2 of everything so I am ready depending on the mood.

Also, they now make the infant carseats w/ handle for up to 30 lb/1 year, so you get more use out of it. I wish they had come out w/ them when mine were born. The double snap n go is awesome.

I own a ez 2 nurse and a boppy.
I have way too many cloth diapers, but someone just gave me her whiole shash for free so I am in cloth heaven, if there is such a thing.

I find that nursing shirts don't help b/c I am always nursing 2, so I sold mine, and, um, bought more cloth diapers or wool longies or something

Oh, get some good nursing bras, and a minivan. LOL
Danielle
#21 of 21 Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 PM

A white noise machine was a must here too

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page