Breast Pump suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-20-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am starting to look at breast pumps and was wondering if there are any particular ones that are better than others. I was told to look for an electric hospital-grade double pump...
Are there any specific features I should look for? Any specific brand? Whats the best place to look for one?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance for your advice
#2 of 12 Old 04-20-2006, 03:33 PM
kir

There's a chart on the Dr.Sears site that I used when selecting mine.

Hospitals have those hospital-grade pumps, and you rent them b/c they cost too much for normal people to buy....that's my understanding at least.

I haven't needed to pump milk, but occasionally I do pump for one reason or another. I have the Avent Isis. You might think that a manual pump would be lousy, but I find it to be great. You might want something else if you are consistently going to be doing pumping several times a day for a long time.

Kiran
#3 of 12 Old 04-20-2006, 03:55 PM
EVC

Medela Pump in Style generally comes highly recommended. It's not hospital grade, but I think it's close (it is double and electric).

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#4 of 12 Old 04-20-2006, 04:27 PM

I rented a pump the Medela Lactina. My babes were preemies so it took awhile for them to learn how to BF. If you are going to rely ona pump to soley establish your supply for twins I would use a hospital grade pump. I don't know your income but WIC paid for mine for the first 3 month. (They pay for everybody elses formula why not pumps?) And after that they gave me my own double electric pump. Some off brand, but i don't use it everyday. Just a suggestion.

good luck!
namaste
#5 of 12 Old 04-20-2006, 10:21 PM

I'm not a mom of multiples, but I have tried most of the double electric pumps out there and my absolute favorite is the Whittlestone Expresser! The expression cups consist of soft blue foam covered with thin flexible silicone. Between the two is a cushion of air. There are two air tubes for each breast cup. One provides continuous suction (unlike all other pumps which suck and pull the nipple then release it), and the other tube provides air to inflate and deflate the air cushion which massages the areola. The continuous suction not only makes this a more efficient pump, it also eliminates nipple trauma. I learned about this pump from a support group for women trying to induce lactation. Many of them were using this pump in preparation for breastfeeding an adopted child because it most closely mimics a baby nursing. It definitely doesn't hurt and I even found it to tickle a little sometimes (http://www.whittlestone.com)

I've also used the Medela Lactina (at the hospital) and the Medela Pump In Style Advance. I think most people use the Pump In Style because Whittlestone is a small company and doesn't have much advertising. If they were as well known as Medela, I'm sure they would lead the market! Medela advertises their 2-phase expression as "the only research-based breastpump technology that mimics a baby's nursing rhythm." Hummm....whatever. Basically it starts off with a minute or two of fast suction and then goes to a slower suction. The goal is to mimic a baby stimulating the nipple to achieve let down and then slowing down once let down has occurred, which according to Medela, happens for most after that 1-2 minute time period. I do like the backpack and the way they have the pump in the bag, but I guess I don't think it's worth $300. (http://www.medela.com)

Similar to the PIS is the Ameda/Hollister Purely Yours. It is also a double electric and you can adjust both the suction and the speed, whereas with the PIS you can only adjust suction (if memory serves). All three pumps come in a nice black carrying bag or backpack so they look professional if you have to go back to work. You can get the Purely Yours in a desktop model which doesn't include the bag. The Purely Yours is so light that I would suggest this route. Just buy your own bag and put the pump in it. The others are too heavy and cumbersome for this. The desktop model is also WAY cheaper. All of these pumps are around $300 new, but I was able to get my Whittlestone Expresser for $160 on Ebay and the Purely Yours desktop model for about $120 new. I think I paid full price for the PIS. The Medela Lactina was at the hospital but was pretty much the same in terms of performance as the PIS. The company that makes the Purely Yours also manufactures the PlastiBell circumcision device, so many people don't purchase products from them. (http://www.hollister.com/us/mbc/breastfeeding/products poorly designed website alert!)

I found the Avent Isis to be completely useless, but others rave about it. Another factor to consider is that Avent also manufactures bottles (formula use) and pacifiers. Some prefer to support only companies which make breastfeeding products.

This was probably way more info than you wanted, but if you have more questions, feel free to ask them here or PM me!

HTH
Laura
#6 of 12 Old 04-20-2006, 10:46 PM

I used an Avent Isis around weeks 3-6 because I was going back to work. I bought an Ameda Purely Yours from Breastfeeding Express for $135. After three weeks or so of using it, I was able to get 6-8oz./pumping session. Now almost a year of pumping later... I have sold my Ameda and am using an Isis to pump at work.

Ameda has great customer service. I had to get my base replaced and they overnighted the new pump, and then I could return the old pump a week or two later when they sent me a mailing label.
#7 of 12 Old 04-20-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies so much for your advice!!!!
#8 of 12 Old 04-21-2006, 02:04 AM

I have a pump in style and like it fine. It really depends on what you needs are for it. If it is just occasional a hand pump is fine, that is all I use now. If you are working a double electric will be needed. You can rent the hospital grade ones, they are very expensive to buy so you might want to rent.
#9 of 12 Old 04-21-2006, 11:14 AM

I have a PIS original and I really like it. I can get 10oz after a pumping session( about 15minutes). I bought mine at the hospital for 175$( she was trying to unload the originals to make room for the advanced)

I also have an Avent Isis that I bought used from the TP after DS1 was born. I liked it but didin't use it much. For twins I would recommend an electric.

#10 of 12 Old 04-21-2006, 01:36 PM

I'm still waiting on my twins, but I used a PIS for my last little one (singleton). We relactated at 6 weeks and I used the Medela Lactina for about a week and then switched to the PIS. I really liked the way it worked and I had no complaints about it. I paid $200 by asking for it on the trading post here (this was almost 4 years ago). There were actually a couple mamas here who responded to my ISO, so I would look there once you decide what you want. GL!
#11 of 12 Old 04-24-2006, 12:11 AM

Avent isis is great. i pumped 40 bottles over a couple of weeks to have enough for a vacation i took without the kids. if i was pumping all the time, multiple times a day i would probably have bought the medela pump in style. i had one of those that my sister let me borrow and it worked great but i just didnt need it. the hand pump was more convienent for one pumping session once in awhile to keep up a good stock in the freezer.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#12 of 12 Old 04-24-2006, 04:46 PM

Right now I'm using the Medela Symphony (rented for a month) per the LC's recomendation. She said it would be best to get the milk in and the supply up and then I'll be nursing and pumping with a PIS.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page