Did you consider rhyming/cutesy names? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 05-24-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never did consider the rhyming names, as I just did not find it appealing. And then I was reading a book (was it Barbara Luke???) that said it (rhyming) was another way of taking away their individual identities. So it got me thinking - how man progressive AP mommies considered or did do this? Just curious, not judging or anything.

And what are your names?
We decided on DSs name first. We chose Santino Pasquale Cxxx - Sonny for short. Then we were working on girls names for quite some time. Eventually we realized we had created a pattern without realizing it. All of our girls have names that start with "M". We have decided to continue our "cutesy" theme. : So in trying to find a name we told the kids we needed an "M" name. Well aformentioned DD figured out "the perfect" name. If we need an "M" and he is Sonny . . . well you KNOW what makes sense, right? Yup, she has named the baby girl Moonie. All I could think of was the Zappas. Anywhoo, now that we have decided on a name (Mia Gianna), she refuses to let go of Moonie and yells at us that her name is Moonie, NOT Mia. I love my little munchkin'!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 05-24-2006, 03:09 PM

The cutesy/rhyming names didn't appeal to me so we just went with names we liked.

Blessed mama of four
::
#3 of 43 Old 05-24-2006, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Oooooooh, I like the way you spelled Jazmin. When I was little, that was one of "my baby names". I thought for sure I would have a Jasmine, a Nadine and a Starr. Not even close!!
#4 of 43 Old 05-24-2006, 03:43 PM

We haven't made any final decision yet with regards to names, we have a few ideas, but it's frustraing when you can't agree. I don't particularly like ryhming names, but do tend to go for girls names ending in 'a'.
#5 of 43 Old 05-24-2006, 04:38 PM

we didn't like the rhyming name thing either. but we did do it alpabetically with the first letter of their names. ds1 c, ds2 d, dd1 r, dd2 s. CDRS.
we even gave the girls colors in alphabetical order. dd1 pink and dd2 purple because pi comes before pu. . yep alittle legallistic, i know. we also did want them to have their individuallity as well.
#6 of 43 Old 05-24-2006, 05:38 PM

We did not want rhyming names, or even names that sounded similar. Instead we decided that since we honored the German heritage last time we would honor the Irish heritage this time. We use family names as middle names.
Since we now know we are having 2 boys they wil probably be called

Owen Jeffrey and
Kieran Turner

Although we reserve the rate to change if the names don't suit after we meet them.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#7 of 43 Old 05-24-2006, 07:10 PM

Blessed mama of four
#8 of 43 Old 05-24-2006, 09:33 PM

We accidentally ended up with cutesy names for our b/g twins. Haden and Hayla. We had two boys' names picked out: Rowan and Killian. Well we switched Rowan to Haden and this was the top pick for if we only had one boy since the middle name was the next family name we wanted to use, Kendrick, which didn't work with Killian.

We had the name Halie picked for a girl since our oldest was conceived but decided there were too many Hayleys, Haileys, Halies, etc. We picked it because it was close to my grandmother's name Hallie, which my husband abhored. So, in picking girls' names for the twins I was babbling two syllable names with H and L and Hayla came out and I instantly loved it. We never found a second girl's name before the ultra sound...when we realized we were going to have the Hey-Hey twins.

We welcomed our 3rd , 7th September 23, 2010!
#9 of 43 Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 PM

Jessi, I bumped the homebirthin' role call thread for you.

Blessed mama of four
#10 of 43 Old 05-24-2006, 09:44 PM

No cutsey name but my dd REFUSED to call her brother anything but Bunny Hop Hop for about a week after he was born...she like his name now.
#11 of 43 Old 05-24-2006, 09:48 PM

There can be problems for same-sex twins with simliar names. I went to school with a Kari and Kelli. Even being in school with the same people for 13 years, many classmates still had a hard time telling them apart. The names seemed to make it worse as they were so similar people would think they'd have the right sister but get confused with the names. It caused a lot of frustration for the sisters.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#12 of 43 Old 05-24-2006, 10:38 PM

Our girls' names ended up rhyming but it wasn't intentional and dh and I didn't even realize it until someone pointed it out. (Chaya, Shira and Batya)

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#13 of 43 Old 05-25-2006, 12:01 AM

We picked out August Hugh (Gus) early on. I was positive I was having 2 girls or a boy and a girl. We had our girl's name picked out before I was even pregnant. It was Aurora Katherine (Rory). We realized that it would be a little cutsey with both names starting with "Au", but since the nicknames were so different we decided it was ok. Then we needed another girl's name. We decided we loved the name Celeste. Celeste and Aurora both have celestial connotations and I decided I liked that. So we were all set for names by 15 weeks!! Then I had that darn 20 week u/s. I almost passed out when they said 2 boys. Well, being the efficient namers that we are, we came up with Benjamin Taylor on the drive home. It's more popular than most of our other choices but it just felt right. And since they were already Baby A and Baby B, it was easy to decide who was who!

I'm still sad that I'll never have an Aurora. It's up for grabs all you pg mamas!

Trying to get my bearings...
#14 of 43 Old 05-25-2006, 03:05 AM

We didn't have names picked out before the girls were born. We didn't even know if they were boys / girls / boy & girl. They were born 10 days after my grandfather died, so if one had been a boy he would have been Tsvee, but they were girls and we didn't like the female version so we named the older Nechama which means comfort, and then the younger became Rena (joy / thanksgiving). We decided the names after they were born. We had tossed around Rena the whole time, but Nechama just came to me after they were born. So their names go together, and they are appropriate for the situation, but I don't really consider them matching (although I guess they are if you know the situation and the meanings)

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#15 of 43 Old 05-25-2006, 03:35 AM

Well, in the end we kind of went cutesy by naming our guys for one of DH and my favorite poets, Dylan Thomas. But very seldom do people even get it, and both names are good strong stand alone names.

However, we did have great fun thinking of funny name combos.

My favorite that my hubby came up with was Randolph and Gandalf (since LoTR names were all the rage when I was pregnant). I guess it's better than Sauron and Saruman. ;>

And really, I do kind of like Eomer and Eowyn, and they would almost go well with our last name, but...eh.

I actually like the names we chose for our guys, because most people think they fit well (since even if they don't realize it they've probably at least heard of Dylan Thomas) but they are real, stand alone names that will serve each boy well from baby to man.
#16 of 43 Old 05-25-2006, 10:46 AM

Savanna and Sydnie... It was hard though... We already had Kambria and Faythe so it was really hard to find names I like that were not too common but still about to be pronounsed LOL I had a dream that Kambria and Faythe were playing with two little girls named Savanna and Sydnie... and it worked out nice that both our oldest (oldest twin and oldest DD) names are both 7 letters and both end in "A" and our youngest (twin and non twin) were both 6 letters and end in "E"... I know the things the drugs in the D.R. make you figure out :-)
#17 of 43 Old 05-25-2006, 04:55 PM

No rhyming here. Their names are Malaika and Isaiah.
#18 of 43 Old 05-25-2006, 07:22 PM

I read that when I was pregnant too.... DH was adamently against it!
We almost did all M's our dd is MOrgan and we were thinking about Miles and Marley...But went with...
Ryder Forrest
Hunter Cole

Hunter and Ryder are somewhat similar but not obvious.

namaste
#19 of 43 Old 05-25-2006, 07:30 PM

Hi- I'm new to the twins forum

My boys are named after their father and my dad-
Hayden Dudley and Robert Cooper (we call them Hayden & Cooper). It took forever to come up with names. I think they were 2 or 3 days old when we finally agreed on names. We never considered rhyming but with twins it seems important that the names flow well together.
#20 of 43 Old 05-25-2006, 09:46 PM

No, didn't consider rhyming, etc names. My only concern was that all 3 of my girls names "go" well together So we have Sadie Grace and Ella Charlotte (my twins) and Maryn Madeline (my singleton and oldest).

When asked early in my pregnancy, Maryn said that the babies would be named Sassy and Khaki. We dubbed Baby A Sassy since she moved more and Baby B Khaki. Once we'd chosen their real names, we named Sassy Sadie since it seemed to fit and Khaki became Ella
#21 of 43 Old 05-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Red

Not rhyming, but names that somehow went together.

I was SURE i was having twin boys. Positive. Had the names ready....Michael Paul and Heck, something John. It's been a long time! THen we had two girls. Surprise! We had only picked one girls name. It took a couple of days, then we went with Elizabeth Ann and Nicole Marie, teh Elizabeth, Ann and Maire being their grandmothers names.

So, nothing cute about it. Cept the 3 youngest had severe speech problems. So, one became 'E' and the other 'Nik', which evolved into Nikki and Lizzi, almost cutesy rhyming names!

Oh, and as soon as they did talk, they told us, often, that those were NOT their names. Their names were......

John and Mike.
#22 of 43 Old 05-26-2006, 01:53 AM

I really didn't want names that started with the same letter because I knew I would always be reversing the names and calling them the wrong thing.

We also didn't want to go the cutsie rhyming way because that's just not us. We orginally picked out Ella and Norah but when they were born, Norah just didn't fit and after two days went by we decided on Isabel.

So, we have Ella Rose and Isabel Alice. Actually, Ella and Isabel go together a little more than we realized because it turns out that everyone lumps it together and says Isabella and then they are confused because it's only one name for two people... Their middle names are taken from their grammy's names .
#23 of 43 Old 05-26-2006, 10:04 PM

I have i/g Charlotte Ann and Caroline Lee.(19 months)
I also have 2 singletons, Abigail who is 9, and Josephine who is 5.
I like older names. I already have other girls names picked out for the future ones not yet concieved. Dh would like to have a boy.
#24 of 43 Old 05-28-2006, 12:13 PM

Not into the cutesie names myself. We already had 2 girls so I was pretty sure that we'd have at least one girl in there if not two, but honestly I expected it would be b/g twins. We ended up with 2 boys instead! Regardless, dh & I couldn't settle on names before hand so we waited until they were born. If we had only had one boy his name would have been Finn Roan, so we decided to break up that name and ended up with Finn River & Roan Xander. All our kids have Irish first names, so we are following a theme I suppose. Now, if I had had b/g twins, I would have loved to have named them Xander & Anya, but dh wouldn't have that. That was more of a joke, really (those were characters on Buffy the Vampire Slayer who played a couple), but I did really love both those names and had we had a girl she most likely would have been an Anya. And I rallied hard core to use the name Elijah as a mn but dh just wouldn't agree. So I'm a bit sad that I'll never have an Anya or Elijah.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#25 of 43 Old 05-28-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajody
We did not want rhyming names, or even names that sounded similar. Instead we decided that since we honored the German heritage last time we would honor the Irish heritage this time. We use family names as middle names.
Since we now know we are having 2 boys they wil probably be called

Owen Jeffrey and
Kieran Turner

Although we reserve the rate to change if the names don't suit after we meet them.
Congratulations Jody! I will send mellow boy vibes. I love the names (It is Beth, in case you didn't know!)

I am in a totally different catagory. One of my multiples is adopted. My son is 19 months and my daughter is 23. We didn't pick our daughters name. Her birth name is Jennifer. And our son is Benjamin. So we have Ben and Jen. Or Bennifer when someone thinks they are being funny

When people ask us about our "twins," I find myself going into way too long a story because I don't want anyone to think that we *chose* rhyming names. So I just need to get over it and say, "Yes, they are twins."
#26 of 43 Old 05-28-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkingirl71
Her birth name is Jennifer. And our son is Benjamin. So we have Ben and Jen. Or Bennifer when someone thinks they are being funny

When people ask us about our "twins," I find myself going into way too long a story because I don't want anyone to think that we *chose* rhyming names. So I just need to get over it and say, "Yes, they are twins."
I would NEVER call them Bennifer! Thanks for the mellow vibes. I am half sick of the pitying looks already. The, "oh, 2 boys? Better you than me" look. As if 2 infant girls would be any less hectic. This I know I already know I HAVE a high energy DD!

How are Ben and jen doing by the way? Any more news since last we saw one another?

#27 of 43 Old 05-28-2006, 06:40 PM

mamajody: I got the same reaction from people when we found out we were having boys! Though they are more physically active than dd was at this age, their personalities are way mellower.

People always have to comment, don't they?

Trying to get my bearings...
#28 of 43 Old 05-28-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajody
I would NEVER call them Bennifer! Thanks for the mellow vibes. I am half sick of the pitying looks already. The, "oh, 2 boys? Better you than me" look. As if 2 infant girls would be any less hectic. This I know I already know I HAVE a high energy DD!

How are Ben and jen doing by the way? Any more news since last we saw one another?
Someone should take my social justice girls scout badge away for saying this, but I really think two boys would be easier than two girls.

Jen is actually sitting on my lap as I type. She came home yesterday Both kdis are doing great. We are exhausted
#29 of 43 Old 05-28-2006, 08:54 PM

WOW! Congrats Beth! Now you are getting a taste of life with a girl! Ben is soooooo laid back, I can just imagine the shock! How's Kir holding up as the proud daddy of twins?

#30 of 43 Old 05-28-2006, 10:10 PM

[QUOTE=pumpkingirl71]"Someone should take my social justice girls scout badge away for saying this, but I really think two boys would be easier than two girls."

~That's funny because I always said that my ONE niece was WAY more work than my twin boys!

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page