Vaginal Birth With Triplets??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-02-2006, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI! I posted the message below yesterday on the Birth and Beyond Forum. Someone suggested that if I post here, I may get better results. Please see my question below and let me know if any of you have any advice. Thanks!

My husband and I recently found out in our 20 week ultrasound that I'm pregnant with triplets. This came as quite a shock since we weren't trying to get pregnant and I already have 2 children, Max (almost 3) and Evan (just turned 1). With both of my boys I had absolutely amazing home water births with wonderful mid-wives. I was actually looking forward to doing the same with this pregnancy until we received the unbelievable news of the triplets. All of a sudden this pregnancy is considered "high risk" and I'm seeing a perinatologist (I didn't even know what this word was before a few weeks ago). I searched around and saw several perinatologist, and was able to find one that would be willing to attempt a vaginally delivery (in the hospital of course), if certain conditions were met and if I sign a million papers.

I've been able to find a lot of information and stories on women delivering twins naturally and even at home, but haven't heard of anyone in the past 5 years that has had triplets vaginally. I've been reading Mothering for over 3 years and love it. I know that if there is any place to find some support and encouragement for wanting a natural birth if possible with triplets, this is the place. Does anyone have any experience or know of anyone that has had triplets naturally? Even my husband, who was so supportive of our two home births, is skeptical of a vaginal delivery. However, I just feel so not right scheduling a C-section for this pregnancy, which everyone is telling me to do. Please help!
#2 of 17 Old 06-02-2006, 02:01 PM

Wow, what a surpise that must be for you. Congratulations on your triplets! I have no idea where I found it, but I remember reading a website about a mom having her full term triplets naturally. I need to try and find it for you. The only other story I have heard was in the book Having Twins and the mom thought she was having twins, but it turned out be triplets. She had a homebirth and carried them to 41 weeks I believe. I think that is wonderful you are wanting a natural birth with triplets and I hope you find an excellent caregiver willing to work with you. Hopefully I can find some other resources for you.

Blessed mama of four
::
#3 of 17 Old 06-02-2006, 02:05 PM

All: 1 Review: 0

1: Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1995 Feb;172(2 Pt 1):513-7. Related Articles, Links

Delivery of uncomplicated triplet pregnancies: is the vaginal route safer? A case-control study.

Dommergues M, Mahieu-Caputo D, Mandelbrot L, Huon C, Moriette G, Dumez Y.

Maternite Port Royal, Paris, France.

OBJECTIVE: Our purpose was to evaluate the safety of vaginal delivery of triplets. STUDY DESIGN: A retrospective case-control study on 69 consecutive triplet pregnancies delivered in the same institution between 1981 and 1992. Vaginal delivery was attempted in 23 otherwise uncomplicated triplet pregnancies, which form the study group. They were compared with 23 controls undergoing routine cesarean section and matched for gestational age at birth. Maternal hospital stay, neonatal mortality, hospitalization in the neonatal intensive care unit, and 5-minute Apgar scores were compared by means of paired t tests. RESULTS: In the vaginal delivery group there was one neonatal death related to prematurity (32 weeks) after intrapartum cesarean section for failure to progress. However, neonatal mortality was not significantly increased in comparison with controls (1 of 69 vs 0). In the study group Apgar scores were significantly higher (9.5 vs 8.4) and hospitalization in the neonatal care intensive unit was significantly shorter (6 vs 18 days) than in the cesarean section group (p < or = 0.002). CONCLUSION: In carefully selected cases vaginal delivery of triplets may be safe.

PMID: 7856678 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

That is what I found via google... no clue if it is accurate?

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#4 of 17 Old 06-02-2006, 03:46 PM

Hey, welcome to the Multiples forum. Glad you are here.

HAving Twins a great book.

#5 of 17 Old 06-02-2006, 04:24 PM

OH and this smilie is for you.... :
#6 of 17 Old 06-03-2006, 04:20 AM
kir

CONGRATULATIONS!
I have absolutely no advice for you, though. But I did want to say congrats!

Kiran
#7 of 17 Old 06-03-2006, 11:30 AM

Congratulations! You are so blessed

I read the story in Having Twins also (I have this book if you want it, I was going to get rid of it and would love to pass it on to someone who needs it) about the lady that had triplets at home. The mw I was going to have for my twins (they were born so fast we never called her) had her triplets naturally at a hospital. I am sure she would love to talk with you about it if you want her info pm me. Hers are older but she still may be helpful to you. At least you have found a doc that said maybe, most docs do automatic c-section no matter what.
#8 of 17 Old 06-04-2006, 02:57 AM

Welcome and good luck having your trips vaginally. I was hoping to, but all 3 girls were breech (with 2 refusing to turn) and then ended up with an emergency c/s from PIH and rapidly rising platelets. It all turned out great because I have my girls, but I'll always have that secret wish.

I had mine at 33-5/7 and never went on bedrest. I credit it to listening to my body and following the diet in Barbara Luke's book "Expecting Twins, Triplets and Quads".

I have a few books about avoiding pre-twrm labor, surviving bedrest and the Dr. Sears Premature Baby Book if you would like them. I've been wanting to pass them onto someone who needed them.

If you have any specific questions throughout your pregnancy or about what to expect when they arrive, I'd be happy to help. There is alos another triplet mom here (SN=TripMom) who was a big help for me. I haven't seen her online lately, but you could PM her if you wanted to. I'm sure she would love to help!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#9 of 17 Old 06-04-2006, 03:06 AM

The quintuplets born in 1930s were born at home on their farm in Canada. All 5 survived.

Triplets were born at home and vaginally before the rise of hospitals and c/s. And the c/s craze for everything didn't really start until ... some argue the 70s, some the 80s, some the 90s.

Just like any other baby or babies, triplets can be born safely vaginally given their particular circumstance....and the circumstances of the mother.

mv
#10 of 17 Old 06-04-2006, 03:09 AM

wow! congrats!:
you are so blessed!
hope you'll find the answers and support here!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#11 of 17 Old 06-04-2006, 12:21 PM

Oh goodness! What a wonderful surprise! I will have 4 kids age 3 and under-you have me beat by one!

My only first hand knowledge of vag triplets is that my next door neighbor has triplet sibs that were born vaginally and very healthy, but that was 30plus years ago. Good job on finding a provider that will consider this. Can't wait to hear how things go with you. Good luck!

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#12 of 17 Old 06-07-2006, 03:18 AM

Congrats! & may I say, good for you for looking for alternatives & not assuming the only way to have triplets is the way your doc says? I don't have any experience w/ trips per se, but I do know that acting as an informed consumer will go a long way in getting your desired outcome! Thank you for following your heart!
#13 of 17 Old 06-12-2006, 06:05 PM

Oh wow, so cool! I thought I was having triplets with my 3rd. (there were 3 initially and the other two stopped growing early on) After one visit to the only perinatologist that I could find in the area, I decided I was going to do a UC if I made it full term. Even if I didnt, I made up my mind that I was NOT going to have an elective cesarean.
Just as an offer, I am a midwife student and an experienced doula and I would LOVE to help you out with your birth, no matter which route you choose. I live near Seattle and have family in Portland and visit often...in fact, we are going to Canon Beach next weekend. You can email me if you want. Otherwise, good luck and let us know what you decide!!

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#14 of 17 Old 06-12-2006, 10:58 PM

: Sounds like me. I found out at our 20 week scan as well and I'm planning a homebirth.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#15 of 17 Old 06-21-2006, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid
There is alos another triplet mom here (SN=TripMom) who was a big help for me. I haven't seen her online lately, but you could PM her if you wanted to. I'm sure she would love to help!
: Hi Mimid! That was so nice to read - I'm glad you found me helpful! I haven't been online for awhile, but am surfing today. I would love to chat with any tripmoms to be!

Congrats to you elisabethmelner!

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#16 of 17 Old 06-22-2006, 04:01 AM

You were a great help!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#17 of 17 Old 06-22-2006, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OT - but I've been meaning to ask you -- how is the CD going? Are you able to do it full time?

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page