How long did you (or do you plan to) nurse your multiples? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With 4 kids and 2 pregnancies in 19 months (one being a twin preg.) my body is screaming for some space.

I would never attempt weaning before 1 year. I'm the type who would nurse a singleton until 5yrs under low-stress circumstances.

Anyway, I'm just curious how other's have worked their nursing relationships with multiples.

Lindsay
#2 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 03:01 AM

Still nursing at 32 months.

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#3 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 05:03 AM

I am still awaiting the arrival of my little ones, but I can say I plan to nurse the little ones as long as possible. Ideally until 3 (or longer). I was young when I had my oldest kids and my nursing experience was horrid and near non existent. With my last child I relactated at 6 weeks after educating myself here on mothering. It was a hard but a well worth the effort relationship (I had a very hard time relactating). She nursed until 18 months and then weaned herself. I had hoped to go until 3 or so with her too, so I know plans can change. But I do have a goal (and far more education this time around)!
#4 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 05:05 AM

We are just now hitting our 6 month mark, but we dont breastfeed full time. Im slowly weaning off the formula and increasing feeds, and hoping to nurse whether part time or full time for as long as my babies want
#5 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 09:55 AM

Ideally, I hope they nurse at least 2-3 years but really as long as they want is fine. This may sound totally crazy but my biggest fear of getting pregnant right now is that my milk supply would drop and I would have to put them on formula. Does that scare anyone else?

Blessed mama of four
::
#6 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 11:39 AM

Right now I say I want to let them nurse until they don't need to anymore, but you never know how you will feel later. At least 2 years though, more if needed and I am not going crazy.

Nancy, I feel the same way. If I got pregnant and lost my milk it would be so sad Of course, that is pretty unlikely since dh got a vasectomy, but you never know.
#7 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 11:55 AM

Sometimes I think pregnancy a way TO wean mine!! LOL! Nursing makes our lives much easier countless times throughout our week. But it's a challenge for me, even though I love our nursing relationship.

Yes, I did worry about pregnancy before the age of 2.

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#8 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
At least 2 years though, more if needed and I am not going crazy.
I think that is more accurate for me, too. Gabe is kind of driving me crazy lately with nursing and I don't know what I will do with 2 like that!

Blessed mama of four
::
#9 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 12:26 PM

Still nursing at 30 months although it has been dwindling the last month. They are slowly weaning but will ask every other day or so and nurse for a minute.
#10 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 03:23 PM

I only nursed for 13 months. Looking back I wish I had continued for a little longer.
#11 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 03:51 PM

I nursed dd til 2 or so and plan on 2-3 years with the twins. I would have nursed dd longer, I was prego with the twins and was super stessed. Sometimes I wished it were longer but it really was the best time for us.

namaste
#12 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahloughmiller
Right now I say I want to let them nurse until they don't need to anymore, but you never know how you will feel later. At least 2 years though, more if needed and I am not going crazy.
Same here.
#13 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 07:01 PM

My girl twin stopped around 5 mos and my boy nursed until 22 mos.

Do whatever you need to do mama!
#14 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 09:10 PM

Still nursing at 31 months - but wanting VERY much to be DONE.

Dd could probably be weaned at this point if she were a singleton, but ds is still a nursaholic . . . at this point, I'm hoping to phase out around 3 years.
#15 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 09:18 PM

I nursed DD until 31 months and weaned early because it was making me too tired and nauseous with the pregnancy. I would like to nurse at least that long with the boys.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#16 of 36 Old 06-08-2006, 11:46 PM

This is my first pregnancy so I have absolutely no experience on this subject, but I definitely would like be able to nurse them as long as they want to.
#17 of 36 Old 06-09-2006, 01:37 AM

They both weaned around Christmas of last year, so about 27/28 months. They self weaned, although I was kind of ready for them to be done. I miss nursing, but I'm happy we went as long as we did, especially since it was so rocky in the beginning.

Hugs to you, C.
#18 of 36 Old 06-09-2006, 02:41 AM

My twins nursed 'til 22 mos. I was pg & I hurt so badly that I was gritting my teeth through most feedings & the day twin B bit me purposely was the last time for me. Sad day, but they got a lot of nursing in in those 22 months! I'm planning on letting the new one nurse til 5 if she wants to! She'll be my last, so I'm hanging on...
#19 of 36 Old 06-09-2006, 05:25 AM
kir

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymom
Ideally, I hope they nurse at least 2-3 years but really as long as they want is fine. This may sound totally crazy but my biggest fear of getting pregnant right now is that my milk supply would drop and I would have to put them on formula. Does that scare anyone else?
YES!
Sometimes, if they're nursing constantly through the day, I'm like AACCKKK am I pregnant and my milk supply's gone down?!?! My two fears right now: pregnant and no milk.

K
#20 of 36 Old 06-09-2006, 03:16 PM

My initial goal was 2 years, and then I toyed with the idea of child-led weaning after that. I had big time nurseaholic kids who at 2 were still nursing upwards of 10 times a day. I tried to get them to cut back a little (most of my friends who were nursing their toddlers of the same age, were only nursing 2 or 3 times a day at that point), but it never worked. We would either nurse all day, or fight about nursing all day, and I eventually weaned them not very gradually at 28 months. One of them was totally fine with being weaned, and the other wasn't, so I started nursing him again and continued nursing him until 36 months when I got pregnant and it became too painful (but he was only nursing once a day or so by then). It was really nice to just nurse one toddler! The ds who weaned later is planning to start nursing again when our baby comes. . . I'm guessing that he's probably forgotten how, but I'm willing to let him try! With this baby, I hope to do CLW, or at least nurse until age 3.

Nursing twin toddlers is definitely different than nursing one toddler. Not just because there are twice as many nursing sessions, but because they really get jealous of each other nursing, and I think, at least with my kids, they nursed more than they would have had they been singletons because they both HAD to nurse everytime that one of them got hurt, etc. I definitely have some regrets about both weaning experiences, but I know that at the time I felt like it was necessary.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#21 of 36 Old 06-09-2006, 04:29 PM

Mine weaned (one with a little encouragement) at 3 1/2. I had another baby when the twins were 33 months old and I was ready to wean, so although I really believe in CLW, I just needed to be done with nursing the big girls. I do miss it, but I was just ready. They were fine with it, too. Alyson didn't skip a beat, but Megan needed (and continues to need) lots of physical contact and snuggles with me.
#22 of 36 Old 06-09-2006, 05:00 PM

I don't have a weaning plan, but I totally don't know. I have no problem letting them nurse until whenever but if down the line I need to wean in order to take meds not compatible w/nursing and it's been a good year & a half or more then I'd probably opt for that. That's the only real drawback for me - being concerned about taking meds while nursing.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#23 of 36 Old 06-09-2006, 11:34 PM

Ours weaned (w/ encouragement) on thier 3rd birthday. If they'd been actively nursing I would have let them keep going but they were down to each asking every 3rd day or so & to the point where for Ashlyn "nursing" mean holding my nipple loosely in her mouth, no attempt to suck, which drove me *insane* & Lexie would suck w/ a lazy latch & not strong enough suck to get anything for 30 sec to a min & then was done. Both were most likely to ask when they were bored or if they saw a baby nursing. If they got hurt or were in a scary situation they would just want cuddles (& sometimes chocolate, they insist that chocolate makes boo-boos feel better ) so that went a long way toward me being ok w/ the "encouragement" to end it. A few months before their 3rd b-day, as we started talking about b-day plans, I also started telling them that 3 yr olds don't get num nums. When they asked to nurse we'd have the following conversation:

kid: I want num nums
me: how old are you (in a teasing voice)
kid: 2 (in a total "duh mom" voice)
me: do 2 yr olds get num nums?
kid: yes (duh mom tone)
me: how old will you be on your birthday?
kid: 3
me: do 3 yr olds get num nums?
kid: no (in the same duh mom tone)

So, it was pretty easy to transition that game when they turned 3. Every once in a great while they'll still ask, and sometimes will tell me they're 2, but some extra cuddles & tickles and being silly with them & they're fine, so I'm comfortable with how it all turned out.
#24 of 36 Old 06-10-2006, 05:30 AM

2 yrs 8 mos here and still nursing strong. We had many problems and did lots and lots of formula supplementation for most of the first year, so my second year of nursing, when it was all nursing and solids, and we purged the house of bottles and formula, was very redemptive and healing for me - I finally had the joy of nursing my LLL friends felt immediately with their singletons.

I had planned to be done at 3 years (because that's so OLD ya know? ) but now I can't imagine that happening. I will keep going as long as the girls need it and it's working for me too. I think they will be 4 or older when they wean. For me that's a triumph beyond my powers to express.

I will also say that, especially for mamas of multiples, many of who deal with lots of problems during and after pregnancy, preemie issues, triandem nursing issues, and whathaveyou, I really really commend anyone who nurses - for any length of time. I look back on those early days of nursing/pumping/bottle feeding and doing it all again, when I got about 3 hours of sleep out of every 24 hour period and none of those hours were consecutive - and I was sooooooooooooo sick - and the girls were preemies - wow it's amazing we made it this far - I would hate to judge anyone for their nursing multiples experience - it can be a real challenge and no one really understands unless you've gone through it.
#25 of 36 Old 06-10-2006, 11:36 AM

Hopefully I will not have to supplement at all (I've got milk offers if I do though), but I plan to nurse at least till 2 years and as long as they want if it's not just driving me insane.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#26 of 36 Old 06-10-2006, 01:17 PM

twins still nurse once a day at 39 months...
#27 of 36 Old 06-11-2006, 12:10 PM

still nursing about 7-8 times/24 hours (yawn) at 16 and a bit months
#28 of 36 Old 06-11-2006, 02:53 PM

I nursed mine until 19 months. I would have gone a little longer but I wound up weaning them as we were getting ready for a cross country move. I was totally stressed out and my milk seemed to dry up.

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
#29 of 36 Old 06-11-2006, 10:55 PM

my boys are 17 months and nursing 3 times a day now. That's working for me- a couple months ago they were nursing 5 or 6 times and it was getting really tough for me- i think mostly because of the competitiveness and jealousy issues always emerging around nursing. Anyways now they drink one bottle of (raw) cow's milk before nap in the morning and we just keep busy in the afternoon, so i'm all set to keep nursing for a while if we can stay this mellow about it.

Married to my love, mama to twin boys J&O (6), and expecting # 3 this December!
#30 of 36 Old 06-11-2006, 11:53 PM

The boys are almost 7 months old. My goal was one year, but I now hope to go longer than that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page