Cars? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 06-13-2006, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just saw this thread on the main page. Being a car nut, it caught my attention.

The Honda Odyssey is an EXTREMELY safe vehicle. I forget for sure, but think that it's the single safest minivan on the market.

An Econoline van, or whatever Ford is calling them these days is NOT safe, not by a long stretch. The front passenger and driver leg crush injuries in front and frontal offset accidents is bad, the side impact is bad, et al. I wouldn't, for the life of me (literally) want my family in one of them.

(As a note, this comment is coming from someone who doesn't particularly like asian cars, but has had Fords and European cars for years....so I'm not just trying to bash Ford.)

We test drove an Odyssey a few months ago and really, really liked it. It was super nice, the safety was amazing, it rode well and all that. Plus, as long as you didn't get in gold, it didn't even look dorky. The only reason we didn't buy it is that we found a great deal on a Bimmer that we coveted.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#32 of 59 Old 06-13-2006, 01:14 PM

Sorry - skipping replies for now. We have the 2006 Odyssey (LOVE it!). Seating wise, you can configure the 2nd row 3 different ways:

XxX (small x represents the "jump seat" which is in no way big enough to accomidate a carseat - just a relatively slender adult)
X X ("jump seat" removed so you have either a space or a console btwn the two seats)
XX (two seats pushed side by side which gives you access to the 3rd row via the passenger side sliding door.

We have twin 2 mo's & 2 older kids in Britax Marathons. The way we do it is to have the twins in the 2nd row in infant carrier carseats. The older kids are in the 3rd row in their Marathons with the middle seat vacant between them (which becomes extremely narrow when carseats are installed next to it - I'm petite and am VERY squished btwn them).

My recommendation for configuration would be to put 2 of the infant carriers in the 2nd row like we do, put your toddler in the 3rd row on the drivers side, and put another infant carrier or regular infant carseat in the 3rd row on the passenger side. I'd NEVER recommend putting the infant carriers in the last row simply b/c it's freakin' HARD to access that area! I absolutely hate having to climb back there to buckle in my older kids. I can't imagine trying to squeeze a whole carseat into that back corner! Definitely test drive one and bring seats to try it out with - borrow them from someone if you have to or see if you can take the car for a few hours to try and drive it over to Target or Babies R Us or something and see if you can test install seats. GL! What a challenge!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#33 of 59 Old 06-13-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I'm really hoping the 2006+ model has latch on all the seats. My neighbors is older and it only has it on the bucket seats. I hate not using latch.
It only has latch on the 2 2nd row seats (not the jump seat that can go btwn them) and the center seat in the 3rd row. I was bummed by that too.

#34 of 59 Old 06-13-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

That's so stupid. Why would they design the car like that?

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#35 of 59 Old 06-14-2006, 07:13 AM

Hi~
Just chiming in here as a mama with a 5 year old dd and twins on the way. We just bought the 8 passenger Toyota Sienna. My dh really liked the Honda because for the same amount of $ as the Toyota it seemed to come with more bells and whistles. BUT, the seating was not practical for me and I was adament about getting the Toyota instead. I can't imagine ever being disappointed with more seating options. We tried our carseats in the middle and it just didn't seem to work. The middle "seat" of the middle row just isn't wide enough in my opinion. I wanted to have the option of putting the babies together in that row and having the third seat in the row available for ME when my dh is with us.

I remember when my dd was little having to ride in the car next to her just to get home sometimes. She just didn't want to be "alone" back there and just having me there was helpful.

I think what I would with the Toyota in your situation is put the 3 babies in the middle row. Then, in the back row fold down the larger part of the back seat and load your dd through the hatchback. Your dd could crawl in on her own and sit down. Then you could put one foot in the back and lean in to buckle your dd than trying to access the back seat from the middle doors.

I would highly recommend going back to the dealership a few times with carseats, etc. We went back and forth between the Honda and the Toyota for many months and visited the dealership several times when questions arose. The Honda and Toyota are neck and neck as far as safety goes, but the Toyota was the only van with seating that I felt was more flexible and realistic. Best wishes to you with this decision!!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#36 of 59 Old 06-14-2006, 06:39 PM

Yeah, I would stick w/ the minivan, not the bigger ones. These are safer. The bigger the van, the more the insurance, and the less likely people want to insure you. We're picking up our van next week, woohoo! I can't wait! It's an 06 Dodge Caravan, not one of the cool ones at all, but I'm in love. It has a 3/4 bench in the middle and then the full seat in the back, which I'm not sure would hold 3 seats, so it looks like before #5 comes we'll still need another van, lol, that hsould be a while at least. Mine has 3 sets of LATCHes, but I know some of the other Caravans have 4 seat, 2 in front and 2 in back w/ 4 tether anchors. Mine has 3 tether anchors, but I'll probably have another anchor added next year to free up more seating in the back for when we have all the family w/ us while travelling or something.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#37 of 59 Old 06-14-2006, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know if you are stuck on a van, but we have a suburban and you might want to think about something like that. The milage sucks, but it can get anywhere and we have lots of room. They last for ever, my parents just got rid of there 20 year old one with well over 200,000 miles on it. Mine is 2 years old and has almost 50,000 miles on it and the only problems I have had are my OnStar box died (covered under warenty) and my drivers seat motor makes a weird noise, but works fine - just started this last week. I only have 3 kids, but hall extra people and kids often, and have had my 3 girls in almost every configuration possible. I have 2 in Boulevards and can confortably, but tight, fit 3 across in both rear seats. I have latch on the 2 outboard middle seats and the center rear seat. the passanger side 2nd seat folds flat for an easy set into the back seat or slides forward. I keep mine folded down, so it is easy to get in and out of the rear seat.

We had firends with the 15 passenger vans and the really don't seem very stable. I would go look at some of the bigger SUV, if you are looking at those. Like the others, take your seats try out every possible car - then decided what you like/don't like about them and narrow down the list untill you find the one you like best

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#38 of 59 Old 06-16-2006, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

We don't know what we're getting now. We drove an '06 Odyssey yesterday and really liked it. They're just sooooo expensive! I don't know if we could even think about swinging a $600+ a month car payment plus insurance. That's just a bit expensive. We might just look at maybe a used '04 or so.
We don't want a suburban, my parents had one when I was little. I loathed it. I doubt we'll get the big van.

#39 of 59 Old 06-17-2006, 07:32 PM

Kathryn

First of all, congrats. <----- you in a few months

Typing fast, I hope this will make sense and encourage you. I feel called to support women with multiples and women who can't afford homebirths or who don't speak english to have homebirths one day when I am a midwife. Until then, I can support you this way since you have multiples.

Second, protein, protein, protein around the clock. Read Anne Fryes sections on multiples in Holisitic Midwifery. NO, none, NADA sugar, refined flours or breads. 1 to 2 gallons of water a day and salt your food to keep your blood volume. Salt to taste and nothing extreme.

I ate 160 g protein a day. Turkey is highest. I also hard boiled eggs and always grabbed some when I went for a pee break. I wasn't a millk drinker but I drank whole milk and put Whole FOods protein powder (NO SUGAR IN IT AT ALL and I think its $8.99 for a large container) in it to double my protein. Its a lot of protein but its worth it. Eat it every 2 hours or so around the clock. Everytime you get up to pee, eat pure protein.

You can and should eat orange and green veggies. Squash, yams and other orange/yellows are great for a strong amniotic sac. And green leafies are great for iron levels and calcium.

DO NOT EAT, DRINK or SWEETEN WITH SUGAR Or anything like it.

Once you get into a routine, your body wwill only crave protein, and good veggies. Butter is great as it has protein and good fats in it. Olive oil and flax seed oil on salads too.

Also, I wasn't a big meat eater pre-multiples but I realized I couldn't eat enough rice and beans or grains and lentils (proper protein combos) to keep my protein levels up and I didn't want that many carbs, even complex.

Please know that what you eat has a direct relationship on that multiple pregnancy and success of your homebirth. Anne Frye and my midwife BOTH told me that in order to have a homebirth and not 'spill' my babies early I had to eat like this. I heeded their advice the instant I heard it and went past my due dates and my multiples were over 8 pounds each. My midwives said my placentas were the healthiest they had ever seen, even among singletons, in their careers and they both attributed it to my diet.

I began eating like this at 23 weeks. It took me 2 weeks to get a good rythym and routine down for drinking all that water and all that protein around the clock. And I took yellowdock tincture 'shots' to keep my iron levels up and absorbed. I also drank a TON of dandilion tea. I also bought meats and dairy with no hormones in them. We didn't have a lot of money but we made this sacrifice and sold some things to keep my diet pristine and to pay for the homebirth. It was so well worth it.

I AM 100% behind you. I know you can do this. ANd I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you are homebirthing them mama. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU NEED AND IF I CAN HELP.

Concentrate on your diet and let everything else fall into place later.

Car: We have and had an old mercedes wagon. We fit three britax roundabout, some used, one donated to us across the second row and had the fourth child in the jumpseat in the back. Two children can sit in the jumpseat and it has great seatbelts. We paid $4000 cash for it a year before I found out I was having multiples. The best investment we ever made.

BUt those roundabouts ARE THE narrowest seats available and will fit three across on most, if not all, second rows.

YOU ROCK, KATHRYN! And you can do this.
#40 of 59 Old 06-17-2006, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

: I love you.

I've been aiming for 200g of protien a day. I pretty much don't stop eating all day. I have a full meal every two hours and then snacks in between. I've been drinking about 130 oz a day right now, but I'm trying to up that.

I didn't realize Turkey had the most in it, I will get some asap. I hate meat, but I've been forcing myself to eat a ton of it.
I wish I could force myself to drink milk, but I can't even gag it down. I was planning on getting protien powder and adding it to my favorite treat - ice cream fruit smoothies. Is that a bad idea cause the sugar? I don't know how I can manage it otherwise. I can't drink straight protien shakes. I've got sensory issues and they make me throw up even if they taste good. The texture is just too much for me. What I usually do is take a couple scoops of vanilla bean ice cream, 4 peaches (or blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc..), about 1/3 cup half n half and then just blend it together and drink it. I love it. I figure I can easily add the powder to it and it won't change it much.

Re: refined bread/flours. Is that all store bought bread? I don't eat bread much at all, I just don't like it. However, every once and a while, I get a craving for the cinnimon raisan (sp?) bread at the store. It's not the same if I make it, I hate homemade bread. : I can easily give that up though. What about pastas? Those are alright? I love pasta. I've switched to whole wheat, tomato, veggie, etc.. pastas instead of the normal white flour pasta though.

#41 of 59 Old 06-17-2006, 08:54 PM

Kathryn, I have read enough of hotmamacita's posts to know that she would say a defenite NO, NO, NO to icecream, raisin bread and pasta. She pretty much advocates only protein and veggies and some fruit. But I don't think she even ate whole grains. Sorry to butt in but I just thought I would answer in case she doesn't check back in for awhile. When she says NO sugar, she means NO sugar and defenitely no refined carbs.

Blessed mama of four
::
#42 of 59 Old 06-17-2006, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Damn. That's gonna make it a lot tougher for me to get the protien I need. It's hard when you've got sensory issues, you know? So, it should be meat, eggs, beans, green veggies, orange veggies, fruit, water, and protien powder? Dang. Pasta is like the 1# meal I eat. So I should just eat like chicken, steak, and turkey all day with side dishes of beans and things like spinich and squash?

What about prenatal vitamins? I've been wondering about this. Is only taking the normal amount enough? It seems like I should add another pill or two.

#43 of 59 Old 06-17-2006, 10:41 PM

I think if you can follow hotmamacita's diet that's incredibly awesome, but I wouldn't have been able to do it. I think what you described sounded like you were on the right path. IMO, an overall healthy diet with a bit of ice cream thrown in to help you down the protein powder is totally reasonable. But that's just me. I was literally crying at the dinner table trying to force myself to eat more food so I'd cram all that protein in (and I was only aiming for 100-120g). I just couldn't do it. It made me ill. So I decided to trust that my body would tell me what it needed and to make sure that if I was feeling hungry I didn't eat crap that would fill me up w/o the nutrition, kwim? So for me that's what worked. Of course I didn't go past my due date so maybe I'm not the one to talk to.

Don't know what others did for prenatals but I personally didn't take them (I had concerns about taking them). Once I found out I was carrying multiples then I did start taking a dandelion root supplement (for liver support) and a green food vitamin (Garden of Life - Perfect Food) b/c I'm not the best at getting enough greens.

#44 of 59 Old 06-17-2006, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

I'm weary about taking anything dandelion because my mom has a bad allergy to them.

#45 of 59 Old 06-18-2006, 12:46 AM

I'm not even going to share what I ate!

Blessed mama of four
::
#46 of 59 Old 06-18-2006, 02:28 PM

You just have to get super creative sneaking the extra protein in there. I still ate (and am eating) some whole grains. Although I did find my body just wasn't interested in them as much. But when I made pancakes for breakfast, I'd add a scoop or two of my protein powder to the mix for higher protein pancakes. When I had soup I always added beans or ground meat or shredded chicken or turkey into it again to up the protein. I would roast a whole chicken for dinner and then shred the meat off the bones to keep in the fridge to snack on our add to stuff or make up a huge pot of black beans and put them in a container in the fridge to add to salad or soup. Or make up ground beef or loose sausage and add it to everything from my scrambled eggs to cornbread or whatever. When I started getting tired more easily in the evenings, we stuck with steaks and pork chops because they could be broiled in the oven very quickly. Again, any leftover meat got chopped up and went in the eggs in the morning. If you like hard boiled eggs they are another easy way to get protein as they can be made in advance and either snacked on or added to just about anything. Nuts are also an easily accessible source of fats and protein. Brewer's yeast and spirulina can also be added to all sorts of stuff again to boost your protein.

As far as supplements- I try to focus on getting most of my nutrients from food, but I also do take a vitamin. Depending on what I've felt like I've been short or needed, I've also taken cod liver oil, extra vitamin C, red raspberry leaf, nettles, and alfalfa. My midwife has me taking a lot of alfalfa in my last trimester- it is supose to really help with managing postpartum blood loss. Yellow dock root works just as well as dandelion for me for my iron levels. I make an infusion with it, boil it down to a syrup and add blackstrap molasses to it for an awesome iron supplement.

I made myself a little spreadsheet for the first few weeks and put it on my fridge. I would check off how many servings of what I had until I felt like I and my body were in the swing of things and then I didn't bother anymore with that. You'll find what works for you and your body!! And you'll grow some awesomely strong and healthy babies!!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#47 of 59 Old 06-18-2006, 11:14 PM

Nancymom-- I didn't eat any bread. Once in a while I had some ezekial 4:9 bread with pure almond butter on it. That is a sweet treat. Or ezekial bread with a little bit of safflower mayo and avocado slices on it.

NO NO NADA sugar. KAthryn--you really have no room to cheat. Read Anne Frye's section on multiples to understand the importance of pure nutrients AND the importance of blood volume.

It was hard. I hated milk, too. And not a big fan of meat. I suppose when my midwife said to me "If you want to have thewse babies at home you cannot cheat from this moment on" I realized the importance of following her dietary convictions. Anne Frye drilled in the same info to me during a phone call to her and she thoroughly explained to me why babies come prematurely and how I need to keep my blood volume up in addition to this diet and lots of water througout the day.

Kathryn---I know this is a b*tch. But I cannot tell you how important this is for your triplets. You are OUR hero here and we are behind you but you will have to suffer. And really, once you are into the routine, you will start to crave these foods.

Look into nuts. I think sunflowers have crazy amounts of protein in them. Be sure to chew them up well though so they get absorbed well.

NO ice cream, sorry. Its just not worth it. I used to hold my nose to drink my yellowdock shot. Then I held it and chased it with a protein powder (check the label for NO sugar and NO artifical sweeteners) drink and then I realeased my grip from my nose and ate a piece of white extra sharp cheese (my favorite) and I did this once day. The other times, I added powder to my whole milk.

Yogurt. Why don't you buy WHOLE PLAIN YOGURT and add the powder to it. Add some frozen blueberries and a bit of molasses for taste.

I am so proud of you, Kathryn. You are my hero for wanting a triplet homebirth. I know you can do this and if you get flap from anyone, trust your instincts, mama. And if you birth team gets all freaky on you and you still feel like these babies need to be born at home, your perfect diet will help other midwives you may interview KNOW that you are really friggin serious about this.

NM is right. I might not check in for a while. But I want to encourage you daily so I will be sending loving vibes to you every morning at 10am.

Call Anne Frye at home if you need some support. Call, e-mail or write women who have done this and who believe in you. And most of all, no matter what your instincts say, trust them. Stay away from fear, though. SOmetimes fear masks itself as an instinct and be sure to take the time to sort through it.

Okay, I am so going off on a tangent. Much love to you and your beautiful belly.
#48 of 59 Old 06-18-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I'm weary about taking anything dandelion because my mom has a bad allergy to them.
Oooh, then stay away from that and astragulus. Sp?

I took the rainbow lite prenatal. My body absorbed them well. But I only took one every 2 or 3 days.

Listen to your body. (Except for the "consume chocolate NOW" voice. )

I have found that when I crave chocolate, I need to eat iron. (Oh, I ate some pate during the multiple pregnancy too)

And when I crave a certain herb (iykwim--which I crave when I am pregnant) I need to eat lentils.

Did hotmamacita just say that she craves that when she's pregnant?
#49 of 59 Old 06-19-2006, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

I started to eat a small piece of cake for my dd's birthday yesterday and almost puked. Sooo, I guess my body is telling me that I need to stay away from the sugar. The yogurt I eat is totally plain. I can't remember the brand. It's organic and comes in a huge tub and it says it's the only yogurt with 8 live cultures or something like that? I tend to eat like 2-3 cups a day with peaches and blueberries. Thinking about it actually, I really am not eating much sugar or pasta right now. I've been eating lots of tortillas with chilli and cheese though. Is there any kind of tortillas that are ok to eat? Rice ones, maybe? Do they even make those?

I know, I've got to be super strict with my diet. It's the only way I'm going to get my birth I want and the healthy babies I need.

I never had any cravings with my dd and I haven't had a single one so far with these babies. It's almost like I'm not even pregnant, actually. I just get bigger and my back hurts a bit more.

#50 of 59 Old 06-19-2006, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, which book is Anne Frye's? I just bought Elizabeth Noble's book and I am loving it so far.

#51 of 59 Old 06-19-2006, 01:05 PM

Anne Frye wrote 'Holistic Midwifery' and a few other midwifery text books.

#52 of 59 Old 06-19-2006, 01:17 PM

I remember eating a child's sundae once about four weeks into the strict diet. I had convinced myself that one little bit of sugar would be fine and I, in my classic knee-jerk rebellion, convinced myself that it was all hype about NO sugar...well, I threw it up and felt terrible for 24 hours. NOpe. The advice was rigtht and my body was telling me to obey wisdom.

Tortillas. Oh, rice ones sound gross. Its not the wheat or white flour, its anything that might be converted to sugar. Rice will. Stay away from white rice or rice products.

Okay, there are some ezekial 4:9 tortillas at whole foods that I would imagine would be much better and slower to convert to sugar. And Ezek. products are so yummy and good for you. I'd stick with those when you have a bread craving.
#53 of 59 Old 06-19-2006, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

The tortillas I've been eating are either jalapeno ones or sun-dried tomato ones. Those alright?

ETA: It's not really a bread craving, it's just that I don't know what else I could put chilli on, melt cheese on it, and roll it up and eat it. You know?

#54 of 59 Old 06-19-2006, 01:52 PM

OOh, jalepeno? Sound yummy. But.....

Check the label. Any sugar? Also are they white? White = sugar. Even if the label reads no sugar, they will be converted to copious amounts of sugar the second they hit your luscious lips.

Here are some things I did to make it easier for me.

I filled up two two-quart containers each morning with water. My goal was to have them finished by the end of the day. SOmetimes, I'd finish by 3pm and I'd fill them up again. But every morning, I started with fresh water and didn't go to bed until I had finished them. I spaced it throughout the day and their sitting on the counter was a reminder.

I begged DH to help me get into the groove. He'd get up and fry me some organic beef tips (cause they were the cheapest) with lightly saute'd kale or spinach and a touch of balsamic.

That gave me a burst of energy immediately in the morning. Then I would boil eggs for the day, cut up turkey and cheese and put them in bowls on a shelf in the fridge so that I could easily access them during the day. I had two little ones running underfoot and I had to keep them out of my stash.

I had two or three protein shakes a day. ONe without milk, just water. And two with whole milk.

When I wanted something sweet, I'd take yogurt, frozen blueberries, crushed falx seeds and a little bit o' molasses and mix it up.

I also would gorge myself on salad about every other day. I made sure the lettuce was as green as could be. Raw spinach, kale and some romaine. I put lemon, flax seed and olive oil on it. I lOVE garlic and would crush three-four cloves on it.

FOr a treat, I'd get pate or goat cheese and almond nut thins. And sit by myself. And eat it all by myself.

Or a hot bowl of green beans with butter. Yum. I love hot buttered veggies. Or steamed with drizzled olive or flax seed oil.

Okay, now I am hungry.

ETA: I had to put out of my mind WHAT I was eating. The red beef and dairy bothered me so I had to shift into a mode where I just did it and didn't think about it. It tasted good at the time but I had to get over my intellectual obstacles to beef and dairy so that I could get the amount of iron and protein that I needed. Now it could have been done without beef and dairy but I felt overwhelmed by by two children, no support system, and didn't want to be cooking legumes and grains every day. Frying up beef tips, an egg or cutting up turkey and cheese was quick and easy for me.
#55 of 59 Old 06-19-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
ETA: It's not really a bread craving, it's just that I don't know what else I could put chilli on, melt cheese on it, and roll it up and eat it. You know?
Lettuce can work for that. Not iceberg, but some kind of large-leafed lettuce.
#56 of 59 Old 06-19-2006, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday
Lettuce can work for that. Not iceberg, but some kind of large-leafed lettuce.
Oh, that sounds revolting. Hot lettuce? Yuck.

#57 of 59 Old 06-20-2006, 07:36 PM

Re: the car: we have the '05 Odyssey, and when we had our foster babies this past fall, we would put the baby bucket (the britax companion) in the center of the third row (latch), and then our 2.5-year-old twins were in britax boulevards in the middle two seats. They were still rear-facing, so this was really the only way to do it. I would put the baby in through the trunk. This wasn't hard for me, but I'm 5' 10" tall. My 5' 3" wife couldn't do it easily at all. Ideally, I think you'd put two babies in the middle row, and then the marathon and the third baby next to each other in the back row, with the third back row seat folded into the floor, so that you'd have more access. But I don't know if the marathon and bucket seat would fit next to each other. My boys, at 3, still can't buckle themselves into their car seats, so I'm not sure if I think it will be easier to put our (one) baby in the third row and do the buckling through the trunk, or to put the big kids back there and have to crawl back and buckle them in. . .

RE: protein: I thought drinking milk helped a lot too. I made sure to get at least 100 g per day. At first, I put a little chocolate in the milk, and then quickly (over the course of a week) used less and less until I was used to drinking plain milk.

Congratulations!!!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#58 of 59 Old 06-22-2006, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we've totally changed our plans. We're skipping the infant seats and buying all Boulevard's (sp?). We're also looking at a used Chevy Tahoe instead. : I hate buying such a car because I feel it goes against everything I believe, but the Odyssey is just too much, used or new. For mileage, years, and "extras", we get much more for cheaper with the Tahoe and that's what we need right now. Plus, it's got like 9 seats.

#59 of 59 Old 06-24-2006, 11:19 AM

We bought a used Diesel Ford Excursion about 2 years ago, not even dreamining that we'd have triplets on the way and we would be a family of 7! We bought it used (2001) and paid about $20K for it. I believe this year is the last year they will be making Excursions however you should be able to find a used one that will have reasonable miles (keep in mind diesel engines run a lot longer) and price. The main reason why we bought this diesel SUV is that we needed a 4 wheel drive (we go to the mountains to ski/snowboard) and it was one of the affordable newer SUVs that run on diesel. We belong to a co-op in Portland called GO BIODIESEL(www.gobiodiesel.org). Not sure if you have heard of biodiesel but it is wonderful! We collect used grease from restuarant's cooking friers and then process it into a fuel that burns almost 100% clean! It is a little more involved then this, but I won't get into the details. The gas mileage is better than both gasoline and regular diesel, and it is a lot less expensive if you belong to a co-op. If you put your hours in, it is $2.25 a gallon! Another great thing is that you can use biodiesel in any car that is diesel. However, if the car is older than I think 1988, you may have to change out some hoses first. Also, you can mix regular diesel and biodiesel together. If you live somewhere cold (gets below freezing) you'll have to do this to keep the fuel from gelling. If we are traveling and aren't close to a biodiesel filling station, we can put regular diesel in to get us through. I can't tell you what a great feeling it is knowing that we are taking a waste and turning into a working fuel. I also love that fact that I'm not relying on foriegn oil to run my cars. Anyway, I'm not sure if your area has biodiesel stations or a co-op yet, but look around. Check out this website http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...lfuelingsites/ and click on your state. It will list all of the stations.

Hope this helps! In hindsight, we are SO GLAD that we bought the excursion when we did. It is one last thing we have to worry about when these three little munchins arrive in a few months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page