Delivery Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 06-15-2006, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a quick question for you mamas that delivered in the hospital- where was Baby A placed after birth but before the delivery of Baby B? The most obvious answer is in the arms of your partner, but aren't nurses hasty with getting assessments, etc. pretty immediately? I want the staff to wait until after the first hour before doing anything but I am wondering how far my request is going to go. Did anyone get to nurse while still in the OR? Thanks in advance for the info- this site is invaluable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 06-15-2006, 11:21 PM

Mine were 8 weeks early & needed breathing & eating help so they went straight to NICU after rescussitation & APGAR.
#3 of 26 Old 06-16-2006, 12:09 AM

: mine too.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#4 of 26 Old 06-16-2006, 02:38 PM

My recollection, which is not super clear, is that I held Zoe briefly. Then my husband held her while Skye was being born three minutes later (I think the doctor used amniohook to break Skye's water and that is why she came so fast). However, when they were born the doctor suctioned their noses and the nurses managed to jump right in there and wash their faces before my husband could do anything. Also, sometime in the first few minutes both were weighed and wrapped in a blanket and hat.

I did start nursing in the OR. I originally was planning a homebirth with a midwife and doula. Ended up in the hospital only due to twins, since I could not find a midwife in the area to do homebirth with twins. But my midwife and doula were both in the OR with me. That helped tremendously with the nursing. I have a picture showing Zoe and Skye nursing in the OR and I can see lots of hands helping out. Also, for the most part I think when I and my husband were not holding them, either my midwife or doula was, so the hospital staff weren't given that many opportunities to do much extra.

The hardest part was getting past the nursery. Even though our doctor and nurse at the delivery knew we did not want the babies in the nursery, I guess the head nurse never got the information. She was really upset when we didn't surrender our babies to her. Eventually my husband went back to talk to her to smooth things out. We didn't want our babies washed and they weren't. Also no vitamin K shots or eye drops or whatever else.

We had our own pediatrician, who is not affiliated with the hospital, come to check the babies out. This was to ensure the staff would not find some dubious reason to try to make us stay longer.

Later, the next day, we did let them do an hearing test in the hospital room. I regret that a little because Zoe's test took a long time in particular and she cried the whole time. I couldn't even hold or comfort her during it.

The nursing staff also didn't realize I hadn't had an epidural, so came in and told me that I needed to get up and pee at one point. I tried and passed out. If they hadn't done that I think I would have had enough confidence to head home that day. As it was, I stayed the night and we headed home in the morning.

So basically, I think what actually occured was nose suctioning, face washing (with who knows what chem/antibiotic soap, could have also been just water for all I know or even a dry cloth), weighing, wrapping in blanket and hat, and ear test.

Oh, also apgars. But I think those are pretty much done visually and take all of about 5 seconds right after birth and five minutes or so later.

Hope this helps!
#5 of 26 Old 06-16-2006, 03:50 PM

Thats odd. I was able to hold my dd during the hearing test (actually I wouldnt let them take her out of my arms for ANYTHING so they didnt really have a choice, lol).
How pushy is your dh? I know that I could tell mine to go down there and grab the baby the moment it comes out and he would. Instead of the OB passing it off to a nurse, he would just have to pass it off to my dh, lol. Unless the babies are preemies and need help, there isnt any reason for them to not let you hold them immediatly. I'm going UC though, so if I am in the hospital, that probably means that there would be a reason for me to not hold htem immediately.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#6 of 26 Old 06-16-2006, 05:42 PM

Mine went to the side of the OR where they had everything set up for them. They were in the room, in sight and we were able to hear them. DH went over there a couple times, too.

Then they were brought over so that I could see them and touch them, but I was so out of it from a baaaad reaction to the meds that I could just look and cry. Then they were sent to the NICU. All-in-all it was a lot better than I thought for an e-c/s and not even having talked to the dr about my birth plan.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#7 of 26 Old 06-16-2006, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing! I have discovered delivery options are dramatically reduced when there are multiples and a lot of times unpredictable. My birth plan for my son was followed through pretty closely but I contribute that to my DH refusing to let anyone take him. (My son is 7 and is still carried by DH!) Not due til the end of November so I have a while to compile a reasonable plan.
#8 of 26 Old 06-17-2006, 12:49 PM

We are still pretty miffed on how it all went down for us. I delivered at 36 weeks 5 days, vaginal and no pain meds. I specifically asked to hold both babies and be able to nurse ASAP but when Baby A was born they whisked him away to assess him and then when Baby B came out I loudly stated to give him to me I wanted to see him and they took him away too. Baby A I nursed within 20 minutes of the birth but Baby B had low blood sugar levels (I am told now by my doula they werent a cause for such alarm) so they took him to the nursery for a drip. I finally got to breastfeed him about 2 hours later. He had a hard time latching on and would get so angry. I stuck with it and within a week or so he was a pro. At 4 weeks he is heavier and nurses better than Baby A!
If you are birthing in a hospital don't just do a birthplan, dictate to EVERY SINGLE PERSON who comes in contact with you what you want and dont want. That is my biggest advice.
#9 of 26 Old 06-20-2006, 01:41 AM

I was happy with my labor/delivery - no meds/ vag birth, but unhappy with baby treatment. They took baby a off to the side and wouldn't let us hold him and then did the same with baby b. Both of them had apgars of 9, but were small (4lb and 5lb). They ended up in the ISCU and it took me a few days to rescue them and bring them home. Thank G-d, we are home a long time now and that's behind us.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#10 of 26 Old 06-24-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningonveggieoil
Just a quick question for you mamas that delivered in the hospital- where was Baby A placed after birth but before the delivery of Baby B? The most obvious answer is in the arms of your partner, but aren't nurses hasty with getting assessments, etc. pretty immediately? I want the staff to wait until after the first hour before doing anything but I am wondering how far my request is going to go. Did anyone get to nurse while still in the OR? Thanks in advance for the info- this site is invaluable!
They took my babies right away for all their tests and that didnt make us to happy. Just remember you are paying them. Techically they are employed by you. so if you want your babies right away, tell them to give you your babies right away. given they dont need oxygen like my twin "b" , then they should give you your babies right away. you are their mom and those nurses do not own your baby. be assertive, bold. You can still be nice about it but stand your ground and have them give you your babies.
#11 of 26 Old 06-24-2006, 04:43 PM

I delivered vaginally, no meds, but as is the case with most, I think in the OR. They gave me twin A for like a sec before the nurses whisked her off and the focused on the fact that twin B's heartbeat was lost. They had to reach in and pull him out (breach) and he needed resuscitation, but now is ok Once they had him out and were taking care of him, they brought me twin A back and let me nurse her while they were trying to stop the bleeding and sew me back up.
#12 of 26 Old 06-25-2006, 08:52 PM

My twins were born via c-section, 45 seconds apart. They both were first put down and dw cut their cords. Then they were wrapped in blankets and had hats put on, and dw held them both next to my head while I was stitched up. I was too numb and out of it from the epidural (HATED IT!) to even hold them, let alone nurse them. After I was all stitched up, the babies were put in bed with me and we were wheeled into the recovery room where I first tried to nurse them. They weren't bathed or taken away or anything, and no one asked to take them after I said I wanted them with me at all times.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#13 of 26 Old 06-25-2006, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I will "accidentally" delay going to the hospital and deliver in the bathtub instead...
#14 of 26 Old 06-28-2006, 02:33 AM

I remember playing out the whole scenario of when my babies would be born...they would immediately be given to me and we would snuggle and nurse and start getting to know one another. In reality, they whisked both babies away without even so much as a glimpse, and I'm sure it was close to 20 minutes before I saw them for the first time. I really should have talked to my doctor about it beforehand to make sure what I wanted would actually happen!
#15 of 26 Old 06-28-2006, 03:18 PM

I ended up with a c-section due to breech/transverse positions, but babies stayed with us. After delivery, the nurses weighed and apgared them right next to us and then asked if we wanted them to stay in OR or get a quick bath. The babes then traveled with me to recovery where I nursed them right away. It didn't take long to get me sewed up and it was easier to nurse the first time in recovery than I think it would have been in OR, but I probably could have in OR. Instead, DH held them and took abunch of pics until they were finished with me. They were term twins though.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#16 of 26 Old 06-30-2006, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningonveggieoil
I held baby A for awhile until I was ready to push for B--my husband then held him for a bit before the peds and nurses took him to look him over and give him a bit of oxygen. I nursed for just a few seconds--to tell you the truth I was so apprehensive awaiting the pushing for B, I didn't really think about it, but as soon as they were assessed, they brought me to the NICU to nurse baby A while they were assessing B--maybe a 30 minute delay??

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#17 of 26 Old 06-30-2006, 01:10 PM

my girls were 6 weeks early, baby A was being assessed by the NICU team while baby B was being delivered. Once they established that she was breathing ok on her own they gave her to dh while they took care of B, but both girls were on their way to the NICU before my incision was closed.
#18 of 26 Old 07-04-2006, 05:21 PM

I delivered vaginally but in the OR. I was able to hold Baby A for a minute or two before she was taken from me so that they could turn Baby B who was breech. Lillie (A) was in the room with me for a while before they did take her to the nursery briefly. Faith (B) was delivered 47 minutes after Lillie and I got to hold her for a few minutes before they took her also. On a side note...my girls had a strange rash that developed moments after they were born that concerned the staff. It cleared up quickly and they Ped said it was normal but the nurses freaked a bit. We did get to nurse within the first hour though. Yippee to that!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#19 of 26 Old 07-05-2006, 10:46 PM

In my recollection, they briefly put Baby A on my stomach, but then brought him to a table behind the doctor where pediatrician's assessed him. 4 minutes later Baby B was delivered by breech extraction and she was brought to another table. DH went over to keep them company, and maybe 45 minutes later after they sewed me up and the placentas were delivered I was back in the room I was laboring in and BF'ing them. They were in my sight the whole time though I remember they made me wait to hold them.
#20 of 26 Old 07-06-2006, 12:36 AM

Well.. sadly mine were 6 weeks early and though I know they were early I am still bitter about noone even letting me see them in the delivery room. My doc is proBF, AP all that jazz, he was the only one I could find that would attempt a VBAC with twins. I was really surprised he didn't just lift them up quick before they were evaluated so I could see.: Am I being stupid for feeling that way?
Hunter (A) did have trouble breathing and they were taken to the NICU after the birth. I didn't see them til early the next morning. They were born at noon and I saw them maybe 7am. I don't know about the rest of you that had c-secs but I COULD NOT function that first 24 hours. With my first c-sec. (homebirth transport) I was completely knocked out and it was easier to come out of it, way easier.
Dh was with them most of the time so they were not alone. My hospital have family rooms so that after I was discharged I was still able to stay in the hospital. BIG +.

I think things are a bit different in the OR they might not hold off thet long for assesments simply b/c they did not pass through the birth canal and did not endure natures way of cleaning out the lungs and such.

I hope you have a wonderful birth.

blessings...
#21 of 26 Old 07-06-2006, 11:23 PM

I will pass on some advice I got here to interview & select a pediatrician to be present at the birth. Our usual ped (the one we already had selected for dd) did not practice at the hospital where we delivered the twins, so we interviewed & chose a pediatrician to attend their birth. She was fine knowing she would only be for the birth and not the boys' ped afterward. And she was wonderful. I was handed both babies immediately upon delivery. I held baby A for a while, then dh held him. When I needed dh for baby B's pushing stage, I asked him to pass baby A off to our midwife/doula. That is one of the reasons I insisted on hiring a doula, because I wanted to know whose hands baby A would be in while I delivered baby B. None of the babies' assessments were done until well after baby B was delivered. I nursed them both in the delivery room (I was not in the OR). Best wishes to you!
#22 of 26 Old 07-07-2006, 12:34 AM

My advice, and I may get completely flamed for this, is to have a birth plan/ideal but to NOT be so set on it that any deviation feels like a major failure/invasion/loss. As much as we want to be in control of these experiences, sometimes they just don't work out exactly the way we wanted/planned.

Case in point:
I had a c-section at 33.5 weeks. "Crocodile Rock" was on the radio in the OR. The babies were taken away immediately and I was not able to actually nurse them for days because my milk hadn't yet come in... when I got to hold them, they were hooked up to machines and were covered in wires. Obviously, this wasn't, any part of it (especially the Elton John), what we'd planned. But at the same time, there was nothing to be gained by me hand-wringing over what might have been.

Fast forward almost two years. I am still nursing my two gorgeous wild children. I bury my face in their necks and hug them and kiss them a thousand times a day. Just thinking about them sleeping in the next room is making my heart pound.

So the birth experience wasn't what I'd envisioned... but that's okay. I know so many people who feel like they "failed" because they had to have a c-section or who continue to feel betrayed because the birth plan did not go off without a hitch... and that makes me sad.

Anyway, sort of a rant/tangent, but I've just seen too many people be so "attached" to the birth plan that when the unexpected happens (and, frankly, you have twins, so get used to it! ) they're devastated.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#23 of 26 Old 07-07-2006, 04:39 PM

My twins were born via c/s at 35 weeks. I had such a difficult time dry heaving that they eventually knocked me out. I did get to hear that both the boys were out and fine before i got knocked out. But both my boys were taken directly to the NICU because of breathing problems..so i didn't get to see my buddies until 10:00 that night. They were born at 1:31 and 1:32 pm.
#24 of 26 Old 07-07-2006, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, mamas. They got me thinking that a birth "plan" is kind of ridiculous. Who can actually plan their delivery? Maybe we should call it Birth Ideal, or something. Mine was looking like a Birth No-No List (no meds, no IV, no etc.) So I threw it away. And then promptly found a doc that is kinda crunchy and had twins herself!
#25 of 26 Old 07-08-2006, 01:02 PM

I called it "Birth Management Wishes"
#26 of 26 Old 07-08-2006, 09:07 PM

mine were delivered emergency c sec and needed all the med attention immediately. But, they were only 1 minute apart and there incubators were less than an inch apart, so for the first week they were sep but close. After that, they put them in the same bed in th nicu. If they will let you nurse in the OR, then absolutely go for it. The sooner you can get them going the better!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page