Infants and the pool - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-22-2006, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife and I disagree on when it is appropriate to take our new twins to the YMCA for a swim. Can anyone speak authoritativly on the subject of infants in pools? They are 9 weeks old and I say lets do it!
Dw says no way...chlorine is bad for their skin, etc., etc.
And I'm all "c'mon it'll be rad"
?...
#2 of 11 Old 06-22-2006, 03:57 AM

I was told 6 months by my step-mom who is a NICU nurse. Really a bummer because I'm ready to do it, too.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#3 of 11 Old 06-22-2006, 12:38 PM

Interesting. I was told we could take our firstborn in at 3 months. The twins though I waited until they were a little older (I think they were 5 months) because they were always sick with rsv. Our ped said he took his kids starting at 3 months.
#4 of 11 Old 06-22-2006, 12:56 PM

I took my daughter in at 2 months, and they start infant swimming "lessons" here at 4 months.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#5 of 11 Old 06-22-2006, 04:33 PM

i took my oldest a couple of weeks old. Do they do bath time well? After six weeks they are fine to go in the pool. Its not like you are goingto drop them in and let them swim, so take them and let them enjoy the water. I'm sure they will have fun.
#6 of 11 Old 06-22-2006, 04:35 PM

oh yeah with our twins we did take them to a water park when they were 4 weeks old. Our second was about the same age as well.
#7 of 11 Old 06-22-2006, 04:59 PM

I'd feel comfortable around 2-3 months depending on the baby. The biggest worry is keeping them warm enough- they can get chilled easily in those early months.

-Angela
#8 of 11 Old 06-22-2006, 09:45 PM

I taught swimming lessons for 12 years, and I didn't usually take kiddos under 6 months. Let me say though, that this was not just based on age, but also size, whether the babe was premature, and the season. Swallowing pool water is really problematic for small infants. It is not just the chemicals/ possible bacteria in the water, which are not good, it the fact of swallowing a quantity of ANY water. Would you give your little ones a bottle of plain water to drink at their age? If not hold off on the swimming for a bit. There is plenty of time.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#9 of 11 Old 06-28-2006, 10:11 PM

Water play should be fine and fun, I think. Just as an fyi, the American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend swim lessons until age 4.
#10 of 11 Old 07-03-2006, 10:01 PM

i can't remember exactly - I know for sure we went to a hotel with a pool for my birthday and they were 5 months old (3 adjusted) and this was in august in miami. I am almost positive this was not their first time in the pool but I can't say 100%

actually if I go watch the video maybe we said on the video "aww this your first time in the pool!" or something like that LOL

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#11 of 11 Old 07-03-2006, 10:08 PM

I can see why the AAP says age 4. Children younger than that lack the gross motor skills, coordination, and plain common sense to actually "swim". Not to mention their feet don't touch the floor. Most kids aren't really independent swimmers until 5 or 6 for the same reason. All of my pre-k lessons for 2 and 3 year old at the YMCA invovled flotation belts, not independent swimming. I think the OP was referring to something like the mommy and me type classes where you swim and just have fun playing and singing together in the water.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page