Nursing Triplets??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-15-2006, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Triplet Mamas, I need your help and encouragement. I know there has been a few threads lately on nursing twins, which have been great for me to read. However, throw a third baby into the mix and things get a little more challenging. I'm determined to EBF my triplets for as long as I can. Has anyone had experience with this? In the beginning,I can see how a breast would have enough milk to do 2 feedings back to back but would this supply last? I know it is all about supply and demand, so I'm hoping that this means I'll have enough milk to provide for all three. Logistically, how do you do it? I'd love to have somewhat of a life and be able to nurse all three in the same sitting. Is this possible or will I be nursing 24-7? I remember reading an issue of Mothering last year sometime about a mom who nursed twins with only one breast. So, it seems that it would be possible to nurse triplets with two breasts.

Looking for any suggestions, advice and encouragement
#2 of 11 Old 07-15-2006, 02:31 AM

I just have twins but thought I would post anyway

I think how hard it will be will depend on your babies and how they nurse. My babies nurse less than 5 min each time and it really has been pretty easy nursing them. I think I could nurse another one time wise. I almost always nurse mine seperate and if you nursed 2 together and then the 3rd as far as time goes it would be about the same as nursing twins always seperately. As far as supply goes, it is all supply and demand for most people. There are some people with supply issues of course, but I think for most women as long as they start right away with only nursing all 3 of them the supply should be good. Again, I only have twins, but I think my supply would be fine for one more. Some days I have too much for my boys and get so full I feel the need to pump, yesterday I was like that and now have 4 bottles in the freezer! I hope no one thinks I am downplaying having triplets, I can not even imagine adding another baby to the mix, but I think nursing wise I could do it. It would be all the rest that would make me crazy

Good Luck and I am sure the other triplet moms will have great advice for you
#3 of 11 Old 07-15-2006, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have only nursed one big nurser, but I do have a thought. You probably want to come up with a way to make sure that you rotate, at least loosely, who gets the first shot at a breast. A balance of foremilk and hindmilk is important.

I admire your determination. I'm sure you can do it, but you may need to be very patient about the time.

- Kittymom

Mom, , to DS(10), , , due November 3, 2014, and 4 's: 4/01, 7/01, 9/01, and 12/13. DP to .

****5****10****15****20***25****30****35****40
#4 of 11 Old 07-19-2006, 07:04 PM

a woman in the Seattle area nursed quad's (according to my lac.).

I could have easily nursed 3, in fact I considered pumping for another twin mom, but I just couldn't deal with all the washing!!

Of course, the beginning is always the hardest part because you are SOOO tired, busy, sleep deprived, etc. Just make sure you EAT AND DRINK PLEANTY!!! Whenever I forgot to drink enough water, my milk would drop DRAMATICALLY. So, with twins I drank about 3/4 gallon of water a day. That should be your minimum (which isn't bad considering you have a chance to drink every couple hours around the clock, sigh.)

Some Mom's pump for the third, but I HATE pumping and don't have a problem nursing babies one at a time (although I only have 2). Or you could pump for all three, but your supply may really dwindle after a couple months.

You can do it "ra ra ra!!"

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#5 of 11 Old 07-19-2006, 07:41 PM

I think it is totally possible! I was so concerned about not building up enough of a supply while my twins were in the NICU that I pumped a TON and built my supply up too much. I have literally over 1000oz in my freezer that I'm about to have to throw away and that was just from the first two months of my twins' lives. I totally agree with drinking a ton of water and resting as much as possible (yeah right, I know!). I've heard that with triplets you should tandem nurse two and then feed the third on both sides after they are done, just make sure you rotate them so the same baby isn't always last (and double check with a LC on this, this is just what a friend with triplets told me). Good luck!
#6 of 11 Old 07-19-2006, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Howdy -

My babies were exclusively EBF'd for about 6 months? By that I mean - they only received breast milk and nothing else. For me - supply was not a problem. As long as I ate - and I mean a lot - I made more than enough milk with leftovers in the freezer. But once I started reducing my food intake - my milk supply cut drastically. So supply was not a problem if food/water intake was maintained.

Logistics. Different issue. I had an older DS 2.5 years at the time. So for me - what worked to get them breast milk was to pump and give bottles. That was a sustainable system. However - I know plenty of triplet moms in my triplet moms group -- all with no other kids -- who were able to tandem nurse 2 and bottle feed the third at each nursing session. This requires a hands free bottle system (if you don't have round the clock help) - like the Podee system. The bottle fed baby was rotated at each feeding so each baby had equal time at the breast.

More inspiration. Almost all the moms I knew with triplets the same age as mine -- exclusively breast fed for at least a year - at least one mom BF'd longer.

Final inspirational highlight. I personally know a mom who had 2.5 year old twins when her triplets were born. This mom is still BFing the triplets at 1.5 years old.

You can totally do it. If you want more specific info -- I know that M.O.S.T. has really helpful articles/info on this topic which I could try to post for you. If you haven't already joined - I encourage you to do so - Mothers of Super Twins - its an organization for Mothers of Triplets, Quads, and more.

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#7 of 11 Old 07-19-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahlgrd
Whenever I forgot to drink enough water, my milk would drop DRAMATICALLY.
Totally my experience too. With food especially. At one point I decided I needed to try and shed the lasts few lbs of pregnancy weight (like 2 to 5) by dieting. I reduced my food intake to a "normal persons" amount of food - and my supply cut at least in half, immediately. I was amazed.

BTW - nursing triplets will make you thinner than you can imagine - all while eating more than you ever ate before??? I lost all but those 2 to 5 lbs I mentioned above within the first 2 months pp - all while easting an enormous amount of high calorie foods. Takes a LOT to feed those kiddos!

#8 of 11 Old 07-20-2006, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the all the advice! I was wondering if Tripmom experienced any nipple confusion having them use the bottle as the breast. I had a horrible experience with my first son (pumped and used a bottle too early) and it took a lot of determination to overcome his preference to the bottle. I just wouldn't want this to happen with any of them.

In regards to supply, I've always had a decent supply until my period comes back, which for both boys was 1 1/2 months like clockwork Once I get my period, my milk supply is sufficient (EBF my second until he was 8 months while tandem nursing my 2 year old) but I definitely noticed a change in the supply. I think it is those darn hormones or something. Anyone else have this issue?

I'd love to be able to feed all three at the same time and I'm hoping that I'll be able to do two and feed a third right after (using both breasts as one of suggested). I guess a lot of this will be trial and error. Right now I'm just hoping to go full term. Only 5 weeks to go!
#9 of 11 Old 07-20-2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabethmelner
Thanks for the all the advice! I was wondering if Tripmom experienced any nipple confusion having them use the bottle as the breast.
Everybody's situation is different. For you it sounds like its very important that all the babies receive the BM by nursing every time. For me, it was different - I was a first time nurser with my trips (didn't nurse DS #1) -- so for me I was just amazed that I was giving them breastmilk at all. With the preemie latch issues and the other demands with my older son (plus I was sick pp with HELLP syndrome and hospitalized for a week PP - another topic) -- I choose to give EBM in bottles. I had 1 nurser though - he had no latch issues and just loved to nurse - so whenever I could, I nursed him -- and he had no nipple confusion problems at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabethmelner
Right now I'm just hoping to go full term. Only 5 weeks to go!
Are you telling me that you are 35 weeks right now? If so - WOW and . I don't know if I've heard of any triplet mom I know going longer than 35 weeks. At 34 weeks mine were over 5 lbs and came home with me from the hospital - no NICU stay. You are doing Gggggreat! Please keep me posted!

#10 of 11 Old 07-21-2006, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripMom
Everybody's situation is different. For you it sounds like its very important that all the babies receive the BM by nursing every time. For me, it was different - I was a first time nurser with my trips (didn't nurse DS #1) -- so for me I was just amazed that I was giving them breastmilk at all. With the preemie latch issues and the other demands with my older son (plus I was sick pp with HELLP syndrome and hospitalized for a week PP - another topic) -- I choose to give EBM in bottles. I had 1 nurser though - he had no latch issues and just loved to nurse - so whenever I could, I nursed him -- and he had no nipple confusion problems at all.

Are you telling me that you are 35 weeks right now? If so - WOW and . I don't know if I've heard of any triplet mom I know going longer than 35 weeks. At 34 weeks mine were over 5 lbs and came home with me from the hospital - no NICU stay. You are doing Gggggreat! Please keep me posted!
Sorry, actually I meant that I'm 5 weeks from 36 weeks which my Dr. considers full term for Triplets. I'd actually, I'd like to carry to 37 if at all possible. My Dr. said at first that he wouldn't let me go past 36 weeks, but now he is saying 37 if everyone is doing well. I'm currently 31 weeks along and still feeling pretty good. We'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks. My belly is getting HUGE!

I think the most important thing for me is that they receive breastmilk. I've just found with my 1st two children that the bottles are a pain to deal with in terms of warming up, cleaning, sanitizing, etc.. Also, as mentioned previously I had an issue with Max around 4 months w/ nipple confusion and it was TERRIBLE! We struggled through a rough few weeks but determination and persistance got us through this obstacle. I just wouldn't care to repeat it, especially with more than one. I also found just nursing to be a lot easier, especially with my second.
#11 of 11 Old 07-22-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I have literally over 1000oz in my freezer that I'm about to have to throw away and that was just from the first two months of my twins' lives.
I just wanted to say that you could donate the breastmilk to a milk bank, and I believe the milk bank will even pay for shipping.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page