Can I pick your brains about twin homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2006, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas!

I am 17.5 weeks pg with twins and seriously starting to consider homebirth. I've read through several of the homebirth posts on this board and read every twin homebirth story I can find. I was wondering if I could ask a few questions that keep popping up in my head so that I can relax about this decision and feel a little more informed.

Here goes:

1. Did you receive tandem care from an ob?
2. If so, did the ob know you were planning a hb?
3. Did you have ultrasounds to determine growth and position? (My current ob is telling me I will have to have monthly u/s from now until I deliver.)
4. How many midwives were present at your birth?
5. How likely is it that I will have bleeding problems after delivery if I've never had bleeding issues before? From what I've read, this is one of the biggest risks in twin hb.

Thanks for your help. It is so inspiring to read all of the wonderful twin birth stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
No.
Quote:
3. Did you have ultrasounds to determine growth and position? (My current ob is telling me I will have to have monthly u/s from now until I deliver.)
My MW schedules 3 u/s. If twin A isn't head down she won't deliver. If there are any problems w/ the placenta (like twin to twin syndrome) she won't deliver. There was a list of criteria I had to meet in order to be able to home birth.
Quote:
One attendant per patient. I had 2 MWs plus an assistant.
Quote:
5. How likely is it that I will have bleeding problems after delivery if I've never had bleeding issues before? From what I've read, this is one of the biggest risks in twin hb.
I was worried about this bc I bleed heavily (never hemmorhaged). My MW said 3 out of 4 twin homebirth moms have hemmorhaged for her. I drank liquid chlorophyll religiously. I did not bleed heavily at all; I did have a shot (forgot what) after the birth to control bleeding JIC.

Good luck w/ your decision. Read Having Twins by Elizabeth Noble.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:19 AM

Hi. Just lurking. I've read some great twin homebirth stories at www.unassistedchildbirth.com. There are about 5 or 6 on there, you just have to weave through them. There are a few where the mother didn't know she was having twins until the second baby was coming out! I love stories like that!
Old 08-04-2006, 03:29 AM

Old 08-05-2006, 04:35 AM

I did from about 20 weeks until the end. I really mainly did because I was temporarily planning a hospital birth after I found out it was twins and just kept seeing the ob.

He did know but told me not to talk to him about it and he did not want to have any knowledge of it and never wrote anything about it in my chart.

I did have u/s's but wish that I had not. I really felt like it was too much but they scared me into keeping doing them

We planned on having 2 but one of the midwives had a friend in town that was also a m/w so she came also

From everyone I have talked to it is very, very common. I had no problems at all with my 1st ds (also a hb) and I hemoraged 6 hours after having the boys.

I wish you luck on your journey I will pm you my birth story, I have never gotten around to posting it.

Sarah
Old 08-05-2006, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all the replies. I'm feeling a little better about the situation. I only live 5-10 minutes from the hospital, so I feel like I can have the best of both worlds - deliver the babies in the comfort of my own home, but have access to medical help if an emergency situation develops.

Sarah - thank you so much for pming me your birth story. It was very inspiring. In fact, just as I had started reading it, the mw that I had contacted to set up an initial visit called. What a coincidence!

She gave me so much reassurance. She has delivered 7-8 sets of twins before mine and has never had any major complications. We talked about presentation - since this is my third pregnancy she is comfortable delivering breech, and she stressed the importance of nutrition and supplements to keep mom and babies healthy. She also said that at least one other midwife and 1-2 assistants would be present at the birth, which makes me feel even more comfortable.

Thanks so much for your support.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:33 AM

I did at the very beginning....

...until she sent me a letter "letting me go" as a patient because I told her I was having a homebirth. She then called me to tell me how irresponsible I was and how my babies would die and I would feel like crap because my choice killed my babies.:

No, I had one at 18 weeks and my midwives also said the first had to be head down though later agreed they would have delivered the first breech since I had had my older two singletons with them and had awesome births.

My two usual midwives (a team) and one of their daughters-in-law who was in training.

Don't worry about that. Putting two babies to the breast gives you even more protection from that!

We welcomed our 3rd , 7th September 23, 2010!
Old 08-15-2006, 12:38 AM

I havent had twins (although I have been preggo with both twins and triplets-they stopped growing early on), but I just wanted to answer about the ultrasound question. My friend had twins last year and what started with one ultrasound a month, went to one a week, and then twice a week. After one baby hadnt grown, according to the ultrasound, for 3 weeks, they freaked and sectioned her immediately. Guess what? The babies were fine and both were bigger than they thought. They were wrong. And what did they tell her? That her FRATERNAL twins had twin to twin transfusion.
Also, I dont know how common hemorrhaging is in twin deliveries, but think about it this way-if you are going to hemorrhage, you are going to regardless of where you are. I hemorrhaged after my 3rd, a birth center birth, and was transferred to the hospital, but I would do it again, because the baby wasnt taken to the hospital and as such, didnt get poked and proded.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
Old 08-16-2006, 01:04 AM

Olivia, horray for you for pursuing the possibility of homebirth. FOr me it was a wonderful and empowering experience.

no. my midwife and i did talk about this option, but we did not end up deciding to do it.

everybody at the local hospital know about my homebirth (my father in law works there, it's a small town etc). The head OB was actually very supportive and is a good advocate for women making their own decisions about birth.

No. I had one ultrasound at 16 weeks to confirm that they were twins. My midwife was able to monitor their growth and position the rest of the time.

My midwife (a CNM), her student (a CNM in training), my mom (a birth-experienced nurse), myself and my husband were there.

My midwife gave me a shot of pitocin after i delivered the placanta(s), because i was losing blood. The pitocin at this point simply clamped down the uterus and stopped the bleeding. I did loose quite a bit of blood but if your midwife carries Pit as a last resort then there's not a whole lot of risk.

Good luck. Blessings, Eliza

Married to my love, mama to twin boys J&O (6), and expecting # 3 this December!
Old 08-27-2006, 11:21 PM

1. Did you receive tandem care from an ob? We were living in Mexico at the time and I was under the care of a great OB. We were planning a natural hospital birth.

2. If so, did the ob know you were planning a hb? I had asked him for a homebirth but he was not comfortable with it. Around 32 weeks we moved from Mexico to MI and I switched to the exclusive care of a homebirth midwife.

3. Did you have ultrasounds to determine growth and position? (My current ob is telling me I will have to have monthly u/s from now until I deliver.) Under my OB's care I did have several ultrasounds but after switching to my midwife I didn't get anymore

4. How many midwives were present at your birth? 2 midwives

5. How likely is it that I will have bleeding problems after delivery if I've never had bleeding issues before? From what I've read, this is one of the biggest risks in twin hb. PP hemmoraging is more common with twin births. Eating lot's of greens and/or taking alfalfa is supposed to help. I did not hemmorage but when I transfered from the pool to my bed I gushed a bunch of blood so they made a split second decision to give me a shot of pitocin. In the end. I didn't bleed anymore than I did with my singleton.

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 08-27-2006, 11:44 PM

I was planning a homebirth and ended up transfering after 24 hours of labor. I didn't do parallel care with an OB, but in retrospect I sort of wish I had at least done a few visits with a doc I could tolerate b/c when I transfered I had no doc to work with, so I ended up stuck with the OB residents that ran a clinic at that hospital. I had one u/s to confirm twins (although we already knew) at 26 weeks. I wanted to know their chorionicity because if they were mo-mo MZ twins, that might have affected my decision to home birth as they are higher risk (turned out they were di-di DZ twins, so no prob in my book). After that, my midwife monitored growth and position by measurement and palpation. I had 2 midwives and an assistant with me during my labor. It's great that your midwife will help you birth breech twins if necessary, but after my labor and birth experience, I would encourage you to do what you can to keep at least the first baby vertex. Mine were both double footling breech and I decided not to try to turn them during pregnancy and I really think that affected my labor. I wonder everyday what my birth experience would have been like if my first baby had been head down and helping to open my cervix faster. Even with transfering and having an unplanned c-section, I am still glad I tried to have the homebirth first and felt really empowered and supported during my pregnancy by the midwifery model of care!

Good luck!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
Old 08-28-2006, 01:44 AM

No - I never saw an OB during my twin pregnancy.

n/a

No - I had one at 26 weeks to see if there were twins in there or not and that's it.

2 (their a team) plus their apprentice. They just watched while I gave birth though, except for when the 2nd twin was crowning I wanted my mw's hand over my crotch (no pressure from her hand - just felt the need for it to stay there in that moment).

I bled after the birth of the second twin. I don't know stats on it or anything but it seems fairly common. It was dealt with easily by my mw and we did discuss the possibility of xfer to the hospital if bleeding didn't slow to normal, which it soon did.

My birth story is here, if you're interested. GL with your decision!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.

User Tag List