When did you find out it was twins?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-02-2006, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 32 weeks and am wondering if anyone has found out this late in pregnancy that they were carrying 2?? I have been doing UP so far although I saw a doc for untrasound at 20 wks cause we thought we were having twins. My ultrasound was "inconclusive" becuase of greater then normal fetal activity. I was in there over twice as long as normal and she still couldn't even get measurments. The baby was going nuts the whole time. She said that it was a new machine and she'd only used it 3 times. A tech was in the day before 'cause it was glitching out.

Anyway, at 27 wks I was measuring 32, at 30 wks I was measuring 36. I have been measuring huge this whole pregnancy. The first doc actually listened for 2 heart beats for ages when I was 25 weeks cause she was so shocked at how big I was measuring. (I am a small lady, 5' 9" and 118lbs) I feeling so wacky: , I have never thought this much about twins before. Even DH keeps bringing it up. So, here I go, to a different doc to get a "second" opinion.

Am I crazy or is it possible that they missed it??!!
#2 of 27 Old 08-02-2006, 10:29 PM

I found out at 30 weeks, although I hadn't had any u/s before then. I actually wasn't measuring any bigger at that point, either. But my MW felt 2 babies & then listened for 2 HBs. And then told me! So I got an u/s to confirm & there was no mistaking it at that point. Anyway, I think in your situation it sounds like anything is possible. How exciting! (Well, you're probably freaking out....) Anyway, let us know how it turns out. 1 or 2, congrats!
#3 of 27 Old 08-03-2006, 11:10 PM

I found out really early (9 weeks) but I know there are moms on here that found out very close to delivery and one or two who found out when Baby B was born.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#4 of 27 Old 08-04-2006, 01:09 AM

I found out at 7 weeks... I thought I was miscarrying b/c of some heavy bleeding so I went in to see a doc & they did an u/s... Needless to say everything was fine with BOTH babies Please let us know when you find out for sure
#5 of 27 Old 08-04-2006, 01:18 AM

I found out 5 days before my twins were born. They came at 34wks 3days. I showed NO signs until 32 weeks. It was very odd. Finally at 33wks and a few days, I got in for a US and sure enough, there were two little girls in there.

We are still recovering from the shock and they are over 8 months old :
#6 of 27 Old 08-04-2006, 01:30 AM

My bestfriend found out in her seventh month. She went in due to some bleeding and u/s showed two healthy babies. She was only 17 at the time, she was a bit shocked! (THe girls are about to turn 14 this month!)

Now, I showed possibly two with an u/s at 5 weeks, but a month later they did one to confirm and there was only one.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#7 of 27 Old 08-04-2006, 04:55 PM

I found out at 18w, when my midwife suggested an u/s because she just "knew" I was having twins. How did she know? I was just SO HUGE. I don't remember how far ahead I was measuring but I was just all belly from very early on, and it was my first pregnancy. I was pleasantly surprised with my second pregnancy (singleton) that I didn't have to wear maternity until about 25 weeks! With the twins, I was in at 11w!
#8 of 27 Old 08-04-2006, 06:48 PM

I found out at 6 weeks only because I wasn't sure when my EDD is (I had a D&C and 2 weeks later without having AF, I found out I was pg). Other wise I probably wouldn't have found out til 18-20 weeks.
#9 of 27 Old 08-04-2006, 09:37 PM

Six weeks, because I was cramping and bleeding. Thankfully, both babies were just fine.

I can't imagine not knowing in advance. I needed to prepare myself mentally!!
#10 of 27 Old 08-04-2006, 10:36 PM

I was almost 22 weeks when I found out.
My mom didn't know until baby B came out!

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#11 of 27 Old 08-05-2006, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullyleague
Six weeks, because I was cramping and bleeding. Thankfully, both babies were just fine.

I can't imagine not knowing in advance. I needed to prepare myself mentally!!
Me too.
#12 of 27 Old 08-05-2006, 04:55 PM

18 weeks, but it was my first sono.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#13 of 27 Old 08-06-2006, 08:01 AM

I knew at 7 weeks, but my doc made me wait until 12 weeks for an u/s. He thought I was a nutter! There was "no way" I could have known. At 10 weeks I could not have felt anything different according to HIM! The u/s tech was surprised, but I wasn't.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#14 of 27 Old 08-07-2006, 01:06 AM

I found out at 14 weeks. I had an appt with my mw and was telling her how I felt like I was 7 months, not 3 and I was seriously huge. She felt my belly and was shocked how big I was already so I went in the next day and got an u/s and it was very obvious. I had lots of signs of a twins pregnancy, not just the huge thing. I was super sick and sooo incredibly tired and wasn't fitting my regular clothes even before I found out I was pregnant for sure! I measured 11 weeks ahead most of my pregnancy and got up to 44 cm when I was 40 weeks!

Congrats either way!
#15 of 27 Old 08-07-2006, 02:20 AM

At 19 weeks, first ultrasound. I was measuring big, big, big! No wonder.

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#16 of 27 Old 08-07-2006, 02:23 PM

I found out it was triplets at 20 weeks. I was measuring about 29 weeks at the time and I wanted to find out how many were in there.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#17 of 27 Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for responding!! I go to see a doc wed. morning. It's odd, I think in a way I'll be relieved if there's only one, but at the same time, I'm getting so attached to the idea of having twins, even my hubby say's the surprise will be if we're not having twins!! Maybe its because this is our last pregnancy so its kinda a last chance for more then 4 kids. I'm still measuring big and feeling way more pregnant then I remeber feeling at this stage the last 3 times....then again, this is #4 Who knows..... I'll keep you posted either way.
#18 of 27 Old 08-08-2006, 05:16 AM

20 weeks. We knew before that, but my OB swore up and down I wasn't expecting more than one.
#19 of 27 Old 08-08-2006, 12:46 PM

Wow, can't believe they missed it. I did have a dream early on that I was looking for my baby and went into a dark room and there were two babies sitting in a car seat, and I said to myself there are 2 babies. I figured it was one of those crazy pregnant dreams.

But I found out at for real at 20 weeks, I usually wave the AFP test not realizing it they took blood for this a week later I get a phone call from the nurse alarming me telling me I need to get an ultrasound appoinment immediately, that my AFP levels were high and the baby may have defectss. I hung up the phone sobbing, called my husband who is a Chiropractor and told me to calm down and let me know that this test is often wrong. He in turn called the doctor and let her know her nurse had no business indicating anything was wrong with the baby. We went for our ultrasound the following week. Although deep in my heart I knew nothing was wrong couldn't help not to worry. We looked at the screen, Oh my there are 2 babies, then we were told we were have identical twin girls! A very joyous moment.
#20 of 27 Old 08-08-2006, 03:06 PM

I found out at 6 weeks when I had an ultrasound to check for twins (I just KNEW I was having twins. . . but then again, I thought I was having twins again this time, and it's just one baby, so I don't trust my intuition that much, lol). I measured at least 10 cm ahead from about 20 weeks on. When my boys were born at 38 weeks, I measured 53 cm.

My bestfriend had surprise twins last summer and never measured big at all. Her twin boys were born 10 days late, and while she looked HUGE (and gave birth to almost 13 pounds of baby), her actual fundal measurements were never off. It's a mystery to me!

I've never heard of an ultrasound missing twins before, but it sounds like in your situation (new machine, etc.), it certainly could have been possible.

I've had three ultrasounds with this pregnancy, and all of them showed one little baby, and I *still* have moments of thinking "what if it's twins?!" I think I have a little PTSD about it, and also I am just amazed at how similar the two pregnancies have been (I thought this one would be a lot easier--I was totally wrong!).

Let us know when you find out!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#21 of 27 Old 08-09-2006, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

I just got back from the doctor. There's only one baby. I am more relieved then I expected to be. I don't know if I would have been able to handle 5 kids...most of me say it would have been fine and wonderful to experience 2, but the rest of me is letting out a huge sigh.

Hats off to you ladies with your hands and hearts full with twins and more!!!

Blessnigns and Respect,
Jenn
#22 of 27 Old 08-09-2006, 07:38 PM

Congrats on you 1 perfect little one
#23 of 27 Old 08-14-2006, 05:26 PM

I found out at 28 weeks. I had an u/s at 20 weeks due to some spotting, and dh and I felt like it was a very thorough one. But we only saw one baby. At my 28 week appt. with my midwife, I suddenly measured very big. I had gone from a 25 cm belly measurement to 35 cm in a month, which alarmed the midwives. They sent me for the 2nd u/s, and the first thing I noticed were two round things touching each other. I was like, "What is that? I don't remember that from the last ultrasound" and the tech says "It's two heads!" I freaked for about two days, and then got used to it. Good thing, because I gave birth to them 2 1/2 weeks later!

Even after my mws knew I had twins, they couldn't hear two different heartbeats most of the time because they beat at the same rhythm...
#24 of 27 Old 08-14-2006, 05:28 PM

I found out at 6 weeks that there where two sacs and two fetal poles...but I had IVF so it was pretty much not a shocker or anything.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#25 of 27 Old 08-15-2006, 01:54 AM

I found out at my 20 week u/s. The mw had called to tell me my AFP levels were high, not to worry but it was good that I already had an u/s scheduled. The tech was looking for abnormalties, but insted found twins! She asked us if we liked surprises and we said yes as long as they were good. I thought my boyfriend and parents were going to pass out!:
#26 of 27 Old 08-15-2006, 03:45 PM

I found out TODAY! Six weeks and four days, but I too had ivf and had a pretty good feeling about twins. I am paranoid tho because last ivf cycle I had a vanishing twin. Thankfully nothing wrong with my toddler. She came out completely healthy.
#27 of 27 Old 08-15-2006, 03:47 PM

Congratulations, juju's mom! I hope they both stick this time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page