How do you nurse two at once LYING DOWN? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-26-2003, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Solving this problem would mean lots more sleep for me!
They always want to eat at the same time.

Thanks!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#2 of 10 Old 03-26-2003, 11:44 PM

Boy do I feel your pain! The way I've found easiest to nurse them both while lying down is this...

Stack pillows behind your head and back (2 or 3 works well) then put pillows on either side of you. Lay one baby on each pillow then roll them in toward you. You may have to experiment on how many pillows is most comfortable for you and how many get the babies at the right level. Then once the babies are asleep you can gently slide the pillows out from under them...that is if you aren't asleep yourself.

Good luck!!!

Karen
Haven 9/2000
Lillie & Faith (MZ) 12/2002

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#3 of 10 Old 03-30-2003, 07:50 PM

I tried this with the girls and they kept rolling off unless I held them there. It was just easier to sit up and use the nursing pillow if I had to be awake.

I was told to try this every so often until it works. Someone said it works easier with older babies.
#4 of 10 Old 03-31-2003, 01:55 AM

I don't think it really works until they have a fair amount of head control and can latch on pretty well by themselves. You've got a way to go. Sorry.

I know that a lot of MOMs sleep in a lazyboy recliner with one baby in each arm. We don't have a recliner but that might have worked. What we did was that my partner would take a bottle of pumped breastmilk to bed each night, and we would each be responsible for feeding one baby. We would switch on and off.

So, another lesbian AP mom of twins in Northampton! Nice to see you here. Are you going to the LLL meeting on Wednesday?

Hugs,

Cate

Henry & Eleanor turned ONE yesterday!
#5 of 10 Old 03-31-2003, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mamacate: I just sent you a private message, but then came here and see that you've made the same realization as I have (lesbian AP mom of twins in Noho ). Dp was just walking out the door and said, "hey, are you going to the LLL meeting Wednesday?" I would like to! Where is the Unitarian Society? Hopefully I will see you there!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#6 of 10 Old 04-01-2003, 03:22 PM

Hey, Lex...do you have the book "Mothering Multiples"? I bought it through LLL and LOVE it!! It has pictures in it of different nursing positions and I think one or two is of lying down positions. Dr. Sears "The Breastfeeding Book" also has a picture of the way I described I nurse my two while lying down.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#7 of 10 Old 04-01-2003, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well if your breast were as floppy as mine you could just lay on your back and flop one to each side and hook them up. So ya know. There is something to be grateful for in the fact that you can't nurse both at once while lying down. good luck!

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#8 of 10 Old 04-01-2003, 04:06 PM

I don't have twins, but I found the easyest way to nurse both was lay on my side get one latched on that way and then push pillows right up next to my back and lean back (you might have to put the one on the bottom up a little bit like on a firm pillow or folded blanket). Then lay the top one out along my side, so that they just lay on top of me to nurse.

It is much easier when one can lean over to the top side, but this works too.
#9 of 10 Old 04-02-2003, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Well if your breast were as floppy as mine you could just lay on your back and flop one to each side and hook them up.
this is me too yeah, when my breasts got stretchy around 6 mos i was able to nurse lying down. before that my breasts were too small, i think, for this position.

i hope the pillow suggestion works, we never attempted that one. i always just nursed them upright when they were that small.
#10 of 10 Old 04-20-2003, 12:44 AM

I discovered a cool way to do this the other day, though it is best if you have help...I put the DoubleBlessings pillow behind me and laid down so that my head was in the middle of the "u" and the "arms" were on either side. DH helped load babies, so that we were basically tummy to tummy, with one twin sort of on right side and other on left. This worked great for quite a while and was comfortable for all. WARNING: not a good position if one or both of your twins is prone to vomiting. I got the biggest vomit bath ever and I couldn't get up to avoid it because they were on top of me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page