babywearing twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-29-2006, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've figured out a few ways to do it! check out my blog (link in my siggy) for pics!

i can do this twin thing after all!!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 08-29-2006, 05:14 PM

Oooh, I wanna see but the server was busy when I tried. I just got dh to take some nice pics of me yesterday wearing both twins in MT's. I'll post those when I can. Since I can't see the pics yet, what were you wearing them in?

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#3 of 18 Old 08-29-2006, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

one pic is a pouch and a ring sling w/ both of them cradled and the other pic is two pouch slings with both of them kangaroo carried (my fav right now)

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#4 of 18 Old 08-30-2006, 12:46 AM

Kate - finally got to see your pics. Thanks for the ideas! I've been thinking that I'd have to wait for the boys to be a little more sturdy before putting each one on my hip (facing toward me) but now I see I can try it the other way around as well. Was the cradle hold way comfortable at all? Seems like it would be very hard on your neck to have one of them carried so low.

#5 of 18 Old 08-30-2006, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

it wasn't the most comfy thing, but it worked to calm them down and rock them to sleep one day while i was by myself with all 3 kids, so it does work. if i want them to sleep at this point i usually put my son in the ergo on my belly w/the infant insert and then i put my daughter below him in the ring sling. this is more comfy b/c his weight is totally distributed and the ring sling is on top of the padded shoulder strap of the ergo. they'll fall asleep like this too.

#6 of 18 Old 08-30-2006, 05:58 PM

Awesome! I need to do that. What kind of pouches are those? I find myself switching babies all day long into the sling/carrier and slinging them both at once sometimes would be nice.....I stink at ring slings though-I am going to practice more. I am mostly using my hotsling and BH MT now. I don't have the infant insert for my ergo. Will it last you a while and worth the purchase?

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#7 of 18 Old 08-31-2006, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

the gold one is a sling from a WAHM business-- olive branch baby (Trista is her name). the other one is from lucky baby wear- i got the one from lucky baby for $20 or so. it was on sale. so i rationalized the newborn insert for the ergo that way. with my son's current gas issues, i'm gald i have the insert. i think it's good up to about 4-5 months. that's when they can go in the ergo without it supposedly.

#8 of 18 Old 08-31-2006, 05:11 PM

My dilema with babywearing is that I don't feel secure having no room to pick up my toddler too - 2 years old.

I can get both of mine in a moby wrap, but it doesn't seem nearly as secure as just wearing one and bending, stooping, chasing, and picking up a toddler.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks for sharing the pictures!
#9 of 18 Old 08-31-2006, 06:03 PM

I have a couple pics to share if that's okay.

Double Mei Tai
Double Hip Carry (just tried this yesterday - wasn't too comfortable)

#10 of 18 Old 08-31-2006, 09:54 PM

I love these pics and ideas. Thanks for sharing. The difficulty I have is that whether I'm slinging one baby or both, it seems inevitable that one of them will want to nurse during that time....and the other one is almost always asleep in the sling. So that means I need to wake one up (horrors!) in order to nurse the other. How are you all handling this type of situation? Or do yours nurse at the same time all the time?
#11 of 18 Old 09-01-2006, 01:38 AM

Ya know, I really only wear them both at the same time (so far) if I absolutely have to (like they're both screaming and it's the only way to help them). I haven't found a combination that is comfortable enough for more than a few minutes (although I'd say the front & back carry was much better than the hip carries which really hurt my neck). So for me, I just wear one at a time and when that one falls asleep I either keep him on (if the other baby is napping or being taken care of by dh or something) or I lie him down by taking off whatever he's being worn in and lying him down in that in the Amby bed (we have 2). I rarely nurse them both at the same time. That's another only if I have to situation or if dh is home to help me and I'm trying to hurry up so we can get out of the house. If both boys are needing to be nursed but they're not hysterical then I usually put on in the swing and sit on the floor in front of it and nurse the other while I do my best to comfort the one in the swing (I basically beg him not to cry and promise that it will be his turn next).

#12 of 18 Old 09-01-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balawre
My dilema with babywearing is that I don't feel secure having no room to pick up my toddler too - 2 years old.

I can get both of mine in a moby wrap, but it doesn't seem nearly as secure as just wearing one and bending, stooping, chasing, and picking up a toddler.

Any comments/suggestions?

Get a wrap that ISN'T stretchy. It will support the weight of the babies much better. The Moby is great, but you have to constantly tighten until it stops stretching.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#13 of 18 Old 09-01-2006, 01:28 PM

LH- what kind of MTs are those? My twins are big now (20 and 23 lbs) and I've never been able to wear both of them at once. Yet they both want me to carry them around. I've been looking at some WAHM MTs and the ones you have look nice and sturdy, like they'd be able to withstand the abuse my bruiser DS would throw at them, LOL.
#14 of 18 Old 09-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Got them at babyhawk.com. Quality seems excellent.

#15 of 18 Old 09-01-2006, 03:10 PM

Wow, those are gorgeous. SO much better than the ones I was looking at on ebay. Thanks for the link, I'm ordering one today!
#16 of 18 Old 09-01-2006, 07:47 PM

I was goimg to post to your blog, but I don't have an account (or the patience to sign up for one right now ). What I was going to say was:

I am INSANELY jealous that you can sling them both!! I just can't seem to get it together with my littles ones. So I sling one at a time and hold the other sort of facing out on my hip. Hopefully I will get the hang of it at some point.

Also - I LOVE your entry about nuring twins. I can totally relate. My 9 weekers are exclusively BF and I have an intense amount of pride for being able to do it. I did not bf until my last child (I know, I know ) and for her I relactated at 6 wks. So this is the first time I have done it from the start AND not had to sup with formula. I wish more moms of twins could see it IS possible and do it. Rock on mama!!
#17 of 18 Old 09-04-2006, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

aww! thanks! i think success with the nursing thing requires help and support from other people, so i hope to support as many other twin mamas as i can since people supported me!

as far as slinging both babies- i usually nurse them both and check their bottoms before i put them in if i just want to wear them around the house or at the park or something like that. and even when i'm by myself and they are both screaming, i try to check for full tummies and dry butts first. i've had them both slung before and asleep and one does wake up hungry. in that case, i attempt to aly the other sleeping baby down in our pack n' play bassinette (usually still in their sling), go nurse the hungry one and then reassemble them if necessary. some days it works better than others. i can't wait until they are a bit bigger b/c i do want to try the double hip carry with them or the ergo and a MT. they just love being held by mama! who can blame then??

#18 of 18 Old 09-09-2006, 02:07 AM

Thank you for your inspiration! I am a first time mom with twins and did not realize all that is possible. I only have one sling! Is that a shame? But my 4 monthers still have a chance, don't they? I am off to find another sling. Cheers!

I love trees , I love to eat :, I love my boys (4/2006), my dh of 9 yrs; and my (due 2/11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page