Anyone tried the MaxiMom twin carrier? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-01-2006, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.doubleblessings.com/Detail.bok?no=250

Has anyone tried this twin carrier thing?

It looks like it might work especially since you can separate the carriers into two when DH is with you?
What do you guys think?
#2 of 23 Old 09-01-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpop
http://www.doubleblessings.com/Detail.bok?no=250

Has anyone tried this twin carrier thing?

It looks like it might work especially since you can separate the carriers into two when DH is with you?
What do you guys think?
This carrier creeps me out! The babies are just HANGING from the carrier straps like rag dolls. If it fits anything like the Bjorn, I would avoid it like the plague.

I have pllenty of other carriers and a double stroller. DH can use whichever he likes to carry or stroll the kids, but I going to be double slinging and then wrap/slinging.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
#3 of 23 Old 09-01-2006, 11:50 AM

I bought one and did not like it at all. I sold it to another Mama of twins...I'm not sure if she liked it or not. I actually love my Bjorn though (even though I know that's not what you're looking for).

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#4 of 23 Old 09-01-2006, 11:57 AM

I got one as a gift when I was pg. It came from the Goodwill, but it was in brand new condition. I didn't ever find any instructions for it, but I managed to figure it out I think. I even called the 800 number on the label and found it disconnected. I found it fairly difficult to use, and it really didn't do my back any favors. I thought it was really awkward. It was okay to use separately, but together it just didn't work. There weren't enough adjustment places to make me feel like the babies were secure, and the places they did have to adjust were worthless. big waste of money, IMO. (Even for us, and we got it free) I'd much rather get two Mayas or two Mai-Teis.
#5 of 23 Old 09-01-2006, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

I figured it as much since no one had mentioned it.
Thanks for the info!
I was looking for something that would work so that I can be bending down to deal with my three year old and not worrying that one of the babies is going to fall out. It seems like a sling would be problematic in this sense. What do you think?
#6 of 23 Old 09-01-2006, 02:42 PM

It looks uncomfortable to me and that it might be fine when they are real little - but once they start moving and bouncing I think it would be hard. I have a moby, a storchenwiege, 2 pouches, a maya ring sling, an over the shoulder baby holder padded ring sling and three mai tai's. So i'll probably play around with all those combinations. (am I a baby wearing adict???? uh huh! )
#7 of 23 Old 09-07-2006, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I just need to experiment when they get here.
I don't have much experience with baby wearing because my dd HATED carriers and just wanted to be carried in my or dh's arms.

I was looking at the babyhawk mei tais that someone posted wearing two at a time with. I am really looking for a solution for my dh because he loves to take the dog and our daughter for walks on the weekend and let me sleep in.

Needless to say I am very enthusiastic about making this easier for him. HEHEHE.
But the two mei tais one front and one back might work.
#8 of 23 Old 09-07-2006, 01:19 PM

I haven't found any combo of double babywearing that wasn't very uncomfortable, however, the least uncomfy of the setups for me has been the double mei tai (one on front, one on back). I'm probably the one that posted about wearing them two at a time (there's a pic of me doing that in my sig). I have BabyHawks & they're great. I think either 2 mei tais or 2 wraps (or a combo of these) would be the best setup if you're worried about leaning forward to deal w/your other child. They're super secure and won't swing away from your body the way a pouch/sling will. Trust me - I've tried it all (another babywearing addict - 9 carriers and counting ).

ETA: I have the XT BabyHawks which you might want to consider so the babies heads are well supported (the regular has a shorter panel - haven't tried it but it stands to reason that the head would be more exposed, especially as they get older).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#9 of 23 Old 09-07-2006, 02:29 PM

I did order a babyhawk, Itll be here in a couple of weeks. I don't plan on wearing them together though, mine are too big now. So I just got one reversible with a boy side and a girl side. I'm going to try it on dh and see how h likes it. If he does, i'll get him one too. So far the only carrier he likes is the Kelty backpack, which is fine, but he can't wear it for very long.
#10 of 23 Old 09-07-2006, 10:42 PM

I just got a BH and it is awesome!

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#11 of 23 Old 09-08-2006, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
I guess we'll try some combinations. My dh is so cute he has started hitting the gym doubletime since he found out I'm having twins because he wants to be able to give them as much Daddy time as he did my daughter. . . he's the best Daddy!
#12 of 23 Old 09-12-2006, 10:31 PM

congrats cpop

my dh is like that too, infact I have a pic of him double slinging our twins, too cute
I my dh!
danielle
#13 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 05:19 PM

I agree that the dangling effect is not good for babies. It also messes with hip development.

I've used all the types of slings/carriers out there. This is how my twins napped daily for over a year (all day sometimes - yes I am strong!).

See my slinging twins pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34671892@N00/
#14 of 23 Old 10-03-2006, 06:22 AM

2+1, how uncomfortable is it with the two mei-teis? I have a weak trapezoid muscle from an old skiing injury. Would that be too much, do you think? The boys are about 7 and 8 kilograms. How hard is it to get the both of them in it and on you, and then off, alone? I love our double stroller as Tillman in particular likes "his space," but with no car there are definate times and places where it is much too cumbersome. Thanks!
#15 of 23 Old 10-03-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I was looking at the babyhawk mei tais that someone posted wearing two at a time with. I am really looking for a solution for my dh because he loves to take the dog and our daughter for walks on the weekend and let me sleep in.
Yes! Get the Babyhawk MT. I LOVE mine and so does dh. The babeis absolutely love it, too, it is so snuggley. It is also pretty easy to wear one and hold one with the MT. I rarely wore them together, it is just easier for me to wear one, hold one.

Blessed mama of four
::
#16 of 23 Old 10-03-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbelly2006 View Post
2+1, how uncomfortable is it with the two mei-teis? I have a weak trapezoid muscle from an old skiing injury. Would that be too much, do you think? The boys are about 7 and 8 kilograms. How hard is it to get the both of them in it and on you, and then off, alone? I love our double stroller as Tillman in particular likes "his space," but with no car there are definate times and places where it is much too cumbersome. Thanks!
Honestly, I haven't found any combo very comfortable with two. I don't have the best back though. It's fine for shorter periods of time, but after awhile it really does strain my back. It's MUCH better than each baby in the hip carry though - that just KILLS me! It's the most comfortable combo I've found, but nothing is all that comfy.

Putting them on & off solo is do-able, but I don't think I could do it out of the house. This is b/c in order to get the baby on my back, I lay him on the bed and pick him up from there, and then when I'm done (and this is the more important part for out of the house) I lean back onto the bed (so he's flat on the bed) & then untie the MT, turn around, and pick him up. I also use my mirror to help me get the positioning right.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#17 of 23 Old 10-04-2006, 12:57 AM

I used 2 ring slings in hip carry alot until my girls were 1 1/2 or so (& honestly, the main reason I stopped using the combo was that I was ready to be done w/ constant NIP & the girls thought they needed to nurse anytime they were in the hip carry LOL.

I also like a MT or wrap on back & a pouch or wrap in front. I don't like using a MT in front (when wearing two) because it's less 'poppable" inevitably if I put the girls in two MTs, as soon as we get all situated the kid in front wants down, or needs to pee or something & that means putting the kid on my back down so I can get the kid on my front out. . .
#18 of 23 Old 10-05-2006, 05:23 PM

I was gifted the maxi mom and it is a total nightmare. The video that comes with it is hilarious, though. I think we once tried to get the boys into it, but by the time we had them both strapped in, they were so upset that we had to take them out so that I could nurse them. I much preferred the ease of using two pouch slings (one over each shoulder) when they were newborns, and then two mei tais when they were older (I didn't discover them until around 6-7 months). I continued to wear one on front and one on back until my boys were over 2.5, though at that point I could only do it for about half an hour or so.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#19 of 23 Old 10-06-2006, 06:03 PM

just thought i would share this as an alternative to the maxi mom...

http://www.twinsuk.co.uk/product.php?id=100529
#20 of 23 Old 10-08-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrmom View Post
just thought i would share this as an alternative to the maxi mom...

http://www.twinsuk.co.uk/product.php?id=100529
Ouch! That looks way better for the babies but so uncomfortable for mom

I was a big fan of the double Mei Tei as well but unlike some pp's I found it very comfortable for quite long periods of time. I used two Kozy's and loved them! I also became adept at putting them on solo even when not at home. I would put the first baby on in front and then, with her securely on, the second baby on my back tying the waist straps on and then scooting her over onto my back, bringing the carrier up over her and tying her on. People actually used to stop what they were doing and stare while I was doing this - lol!
#21 of 23 Old 10-08-2006, 11:27 PM

When my twinkies were tiny, I put both in 1 Kozy

Then I went to a Kozy on front and Ergo on back.

Now they fight oever the Ergo, so I sold the Kozy to buy a second Ergo. You cant wear 2 Ergo's at the same times, but today my dh wore a baby off and on all day while I wore the other one It was great.
#22 of 23 Old 10-09-2006, 01:45 AM

I'm late looking through my magazines but right now I'm scanning Twins Magazine and found a new cool carrier for twins. It's called the Weego Twiin carrier. It's $129.00 can can be ordrered at the Twins Magazine website. www.twinsmagazine.com. Just an FYI.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#23 of 23 Old 02-21-2008, 12:36 PM

I have been experimenting with wearing both my guys lately and so far I've come up with a mei tai or wrap on front and a ssc (or buckle type mei tai) on back. It isn't too bad on comfort, I am able to wear them both for quite a while. Here is a pic from last week.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../Carrying2.jpg

I wish I would've had the wrap when they were newborns, I think that would've been the best way to carry them both. I tried 2 slings and 2 pouches but it was very uncomfortable. I tried putting them both in one wrap and sling, but it never felt secure enough. You can check out thebabywearer.com and they have a forum for wearing 2 with lots of combos and more pictures.

Torio sewed her own double buckle tai that is totally awesome and we need to get in in production as another option for us twin mommies! She posted pics on thebabywearer.

Andrea mommy to G(2/97), S : (1/04), E & J (7/07)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page