How early do you really need to know? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-17-2006, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This might be a weird question, but I'm pg. I took clomid, and my beta numbers were on the high side, though not crazy, so I'm wondering about twins. However, my dr wants to do a u/s at 6 weeks. I am thinking I want to wait until we can do an external one, whenever that is. But am I missing something? Is there a good reason to do a headcount so early, and not wait until 12 weeks or so? Any advice appreciated! (x post in pregnancy)

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 10-17-2006, 08:56 PM

Sometimes one fetus disappears - if it would help you to know there were two, then you might consider it. My o/b u/s was at 9 weeks, and ordered by my OB because I was "huge" and there was a difference in my size and the date of my last period. Sure enough, it was twins.

As long as you eat well and are gentle with yourself - I wouldn't think you'd ever need to worry about one or two.
#3 of 26 Old 10-17-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowriffic View Post
Sometimes one fetus disappears - if it would help you to know there were two, then you might consider it.

That's true. Otherwise, though, as long as you take care of yourself there's really no time that you NEED to know by. I didn't find out until 30 weeks and, frankly, I'm glad I didn't since I was able to bypass all the medical "necessities" thrust upon those pregnant with multiples. Of course, I can say that because I've been blessed with 2 fullterm, healthy babies. If things had not worked out that way I might feel differently about that, who knows. It's really up to you though, not the dr!
#4 of 26 Old 10-17-2006, 10:19 PM

I don't think it's critical to know except that you really need to stick to a good diet with tons of protein, which should start very early obviously.
The other big thing to know is whether they're in the same amniotic sac - monoamniotic/monochorionic twins have a very high rate of complications, and do need close monitoring for growth discordance (where one twin gets the majority of the ourishment and the other doesn't grow well). For that though they usually do an u/s at 20 weeks and then a growth scan every 3-4 weeks after that.
So I think you really could wait until 19-20 weeks.

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

#5 of 26 Old 10-17-2006, 10:29 PM

I did not find out until 18 weeks....a perfect time, I think. At that point, I personally would want to know if they are monoamniotic etc....

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#6 of 26 Old 10-17-2006, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I'd want to know if one "vanished"- that would freak me out. And I'm glad to hear there is nothing wrong with waiting to do just the 20 week u/s. Having read the risks of u/s I feel like it would be safer to wait- at least that way organs have formed and such.

#7 of 26 Old 10-17-2006, 11:08 PM

Good thinking mama!
#8 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 12:04 AM

I found out at 7w 4d and spent several weeks worrying that one was going to "vanish." I don't know if I could've waited until 20 weeks to find out. Well, I guess I wouldn't have known the difference. But man, I started getting big fast. My SIL was due 3 days before me and at 20 weeks we visited her in Hawaii and I was waaaaaaaaay bigger than she was. I would've felt like a freak if I didn't know it was twins by then!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#9 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 01:58 AM

And don't rely too much on the betas. Mine were smack in the middle of "normal" and I had trips!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#10 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

One other thing I need to figure out though- if I knew it was 1 I could make plans to switch to a midwife, if it was 2 I could find out if I could birth them at the Farm (I'm just outside of Memphis). I'm not in love with my OB, and I don't know exactly which way to go with my care if I don't know how many are in there.... The midwives here are hb only, and don't really work with OB's. And I guess I've already got pg. brain, because thinking that through seems really overwhelming right now.

#11 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid View Post
And don't rely too much on the betas. Mine were smack in the middle of "normal" and I had trips!
I agree. My numbers were on the low normal side.
#12 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmom View Post
I agree. My numbers were on the low normal side.
I'd feel better if you were saying they were really high, but it was only 1. But I get what you are saying.

#13 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 01:16 PM

Mine were SUPER High & I had a twin PG and one 'reabsorbed'
#14 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

OK, what were the numbers for "super high"? At 16 dpo mine were 1245 and 3 days later 3690.

#15 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 03:26 PM

Guideline to hCG levels during pregnancy:
hCG levels in weeks from LMP or in gestational age* :

3 weeks LMP: 5 - 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks LMP: 5 - 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks LMP: 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
7 - 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
9 - 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
13 - 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
17 - 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
25 - 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml

These numbers are just a GUIDELINE-- every woman’s level of hCG can rise differently. It is not necessarily the level that matters but rather the change in the level.

Key things to remember about hCG levels:
About 85% of normal pregnancies will have the hCG level double every 48 - 72 hours. As you get further along into pregnancy and the hCG level gets higher, the time it takes to double can increase to about every 96 hours.
Caution must be used in making too much of hCG numbers. A normal pregnancy may have low hCG levels and deliver a perfectly healthy baby.
In general the hCG level will double every 72 hours. The levels will reach their peak in the 8 - 11 weeks of pregnancy (the third month) and then will decline and level off for the remainder of the pregnancy.
#16 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma View Post
OK, what were the numbers for "super high"? At 16 dpo mine were 1245 and 3 days later 3690.
It looks like your taking about 72 hours to double which is normal. Maybe your someone who has high hcg levels? Or maybe your having twins? I have a friend who was pregnant at the same time I was with my twins, her first beta number was 2200 (I may be off on her excat number) and mine was 320 or close to that, 48 hours later she was well over 10,000 and I was barely at 500. She had an u/s at 7 weeks and had one sac/one heartbeat and I had 2 sacs/two heartbeats. I just think she produces hcg at a much higher level then I do.
I hope it turns out the way you want it.
#17 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma View Post
I think at like 6 weeks past LMK mine were something like in the 100,000 range...
#18 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 03:46 PM

ETA: I agree too much emphasis on the # isn't helpfull.
They aren't a good guage of Multiples in-and-of-itself.
#19 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, that all puts it into perspective. Intellectually I know its just numbers, but as a crazy pg lady, its hard. I know if there are multiples in there, it will be fine, but it really scares me.

#20 of 26 Old 10-18-2006, 11:01 PM

Don't let it scare you, it is a wonderful blessing and challenge (if there is more than 1)!!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#21 of 26 Old 10-19-2006, 11:10 PM

I don't think there's any need to know in the first trimester, but I don't know how you could stand NOT knowing! With my first pregnancy, I decided to do the 6-week u/s (after clomid) because I really thought it was twins and I wanted to know if I could be using a homebirth midwife or not. Once you see a heartbeat, the chance of the baby disappearing is very small (3%, I believe), so that was not a concern I had. With my second pregnancy, I again suspected twins (from hcg and although I hadn't taken clomid, I'd had two follicles at the time of insemination), and I wanted to know early because I was totally freaking out. I couldn't think about anything else. I was so relieved to see just one baby in there, and really enjoyed the pregnancy a lot more than I would have if I'd continued wondering.

Your hcg levels definitely sound like twin numbers to me. With my twins, my hcg was 405 at 14 dpo, and my doctor told me I had a 90% chance of twins with that number. With my singleton, it was 237 at 13 dpo, and 1027 at 16 dpo, still in the twins range, but definitely lower. Of course, hcg numbers can be meaningless (you don't know exactly when the baby (or babies) implanted), but I think they give a fairly good indication--at least when they're high.

If you decide to wait on the u/s, I would see how you're measuring at the end of the first trimester, and if your uterus feels big, I would get an u/s then (you may also be able to find two hearbeats with doppler at that point, but I believe that doppler is actually worse than u/s in regards to the amount it outputs). It would be helpful to know by the beginning of the second trimester, for diet reasons and so you'd know who your care provider would be.

HTH! And congrats on your pregnancy!!!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#22 of 26 Old 10-20-2006, 03:09 AM

I think it just depends on you. I have heard of a vanishing twin, or one getting reabsorbed, but regardless, I had an internal u/s at 7w with my singleton because I just had to know.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#23 of 26 Old 10-20-2006, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Well, after getting myself all worked up about thinking over this decision. I had bleeding yesterday morning and had an u/s to check on what was going on. They only saw one baby, who is measureing 4 days bigger than I thought he should be (I did temp and all that lol)- so I guess that's why the high numbers. The bleeding was from a small tear and so I'll have to have more u/s to monitor, but they said it should heal.

I was really suprised there was only one, but that's OK. One healthy full term baby is all I can ask of the universe.

#24 of 26 Old 10-22-2006, 11:55 AM

I'm glad you know now, and I hope you have a very smooth, healthy pg!

Christine, mama to Daniel & Abby, 9 and Patrick, 4. Wife to a rockin' train engineer. Gluten and nightshade-free. Multiple kiddie food sensitivities.

#25 of 26 Old 10-22-2006, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

#26 of 26 Old 10-22-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAbimytwomiracle View Post
I'm glad you know now, and I hope you have a very smooth, healthy pg!
ditto

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page