Pregnant with sternum pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2006, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. I am 27 weeks pregnant with two large and healthy identical boys. While the pregnancy has been going very well so far, it has been very painful on my body. I've dealt with horrible sciatica, excruciating lower back pain, and intense heartburn. So far, this has all been par for the course, with twin pregnancy. But recently I have been having acute pain in my sternum (or the general area in the center of my chest) that I can't figure out.
I know it's not heartburn (which is what I first thought it was), because it is just as painful when I wake up, before I have anything to eat. The only thing that makes it feel a tad better is standing up straight and stretching long and tall.
I wonder if anyone has any experience with this? My concern is that the size of the boys have pushed and expanded my ribs, spreading them like a wishbone, and pretty soon something's going to snap!
At least that's what it feels like. Am I crazy?

Thanks!

Dana ~ www.lockharttwins.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2006, 05:45 PM

I noticed a LOT of different pains when I was pregnant with my twins versus my singleton. My doc told me that almost everything was within the realm of normal for carrying big healthy twins (I have MZ boys also).

I would mention it to your care provider, and also can you go see a chiro? That might help. GL.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 11-10-2006, 01:33 AM

Find a chiro!! That helps some.

Heartburn solutions that have worked for people I know: a teaspoon of apple cider vinagar in a quart of water, sip as needed. Accidopholus capsules helped me TONS (after 2-3 days). They helped with the nasea too. Eating every 2-3 hours. Eating a whole apple once a day.

I did have lots more pains in my ribs and back with the twins. It goes away immediatley upon birth, thank goodness!!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM

Agreed with the chiro. I had this problem throughout most of my pregnancy and I always carried very low.

Can't help with the heartburn issue, for some oddball reason I didn't get it.

Waldorf mama to 5yo b/g twins
Old 11-10-2006, 09:46 PM

Boy, I know you think it's not heartburn, but it sounds just like what I have. My theory is the acid pain started at the base of the stomach (under the right rib) and as it gets worse (and more schmushed) it goes up to the esophagus, right under the sternum. My MIL said she had such bad heartburn it caused scar tssue that had to be surgically removed!

Here's a thread i started in my DDC for remedies. Maybe some of these will help. I can't tell you how much the chamomile tea helps.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=555158

Good luck. HTH. We're near each other in due dates with two boys!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:08 PM

I am 24 or 25 weeks and have just started having the sternum pain that you are talking about (in addition to all the other pains and heartburn that you mentioned). During my first twin pregnancy, I did experience the horrible heartburn, the sciatic pain (which did not go away after birth for me until I started with a chiro) and pubic symphysis pain. But, I never experienced the sternum pain until this past week. I don't know why it's happening but I just figured it was something else that happens sometimes during pregnancy.

Sorry I'm not too helpful but I thought I just let you know you are not the only one!

User Tag List