Is it unreasonable to hope for 7-pounders? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 12-02-2006, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's a great goal to shoot for. Mine were close: 6 lbs. 10 oz. and 6 lbs. 12 oz. I was unsure of my dates, but they were at least 38.5 weeks. I didn't know I was expecting twins until 28 weeks, so I hadn't paid special care to my diet until then. Good luck!

Michelle G.
Mommy to Xander (5), Nathan (3), Collette and Cate (4 months).
#32 of 54 Old 12-03-2006, 10:17 PM

I had a pt. once who had 8#6oz. twins...both of them the exact same weight.
#33 of 54 Old 12-03-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingWearin'Mama View Post
My secret was determination to prove my Ob wrong I also wanted two 7Lbers and my visualization was a 7lber and 8lber. What I ended up with was
Baby A 8 15.2 Lbs
Baby B 8 15.2 Lbs

Nearly two 9LBers!!! They each had their own placenta and they were both lush and functioning great even at 40weeks 2 days when I delivered. They were big beautiful boys and continue to be they are over 15 Lbs each at just under 3 months :

You CAN do it mama! I drank a gallon+ water every day and aimed for the 176g of protein everyday. I don't know if I ever made 176 but I think I got over 100g every day usually in the 120's. It seemed to pay off!

Good luck mama!
You go, mama!!!
#34 of 54 Old 12-06-2006, 06:43 PM

My 34-weekers were just over 7lbs. *combined.* They had TTTS, though, and were in danger, so they got here early. But I am adding on to the folks who credit the Brewer diet with a lot - I am positive that it turned the TTTS around early on in the pregnancy and kept their growth rate steady for about 11 weeks. Plus, I got to have a nice chat with Dr. Brewer for about an hour when i called the hotline where he told me all about how we undersell twins by saying that they're term anything before 40w.

Although it took the smaller baby almost 6 weeks to get the hang of nursing, they are both still going strong (and refused bottles after getting into a nursing routine) at almost 3yo...

good luck to you!
#35 of 54 Old 12-06-2006, 06:55 PM

Didn't read all the responses, but my grandmother had 7.5 pound twins back in the 40's. All her singletons were 8 or 9 pound, she had 9 kids in all.

nothing more to say I guess :
#36 of 54 Old 12-06-2006, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Its possible.

But don't set yourself up for disappointment. Plenty of healthy kiddos born at 5 and 6 lbs too - but you go for it!

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#37 of 54 Old 12-11-2006, 10:19 PM

At 36w3d, my boys were 5'9 and 5'13. I essentially stopped sleeping the last 3-4 days before they were born b/c baby B was breech and lodged very deeply up in my ribcage. I'm not kidding- maybe 3 hours sleep total. I started hallucinating, and my OB did the c/s. I really don't know how I would've dealt with them getting any bigger- it was very painful. (And at 5'6 I'm not really that small, either.)

If I'd had my druthers, they would've been slightly smaller (like 5.5 lb) and I'd gone closer to term, and of course been in better physical condition to try to deliver vaginally. They self-weaned at 18 and 19 months when I got pregnant, but man, those early days of trying to nurse preemies were no fun at all!!

Mom to 3 awesome kids, 6.5y, 6.5y, 4.5y, plus a newbie born this year.

#38 of 54 Old 12-12-2006, 01:20 AM

my twins were 7 lb 13 oz and 6 lb 1 oz at 38w5d. my singleton was 9 lb 7 oz dd.

yes, it can be done- but my "bigger" twin was in the nicu and my little twin was healthier and the better nurser- go figure!

I followed dr. lukes diet but not 100%.
Danielle
#39 of 54 Old 12-14-2006, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingWearin'Mama View Post
They were big beautiful boys and continue to be they are over 15 Lbs each at just under 3 months :
Glad to hear they're still doing so very well!!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#40 of 54 Old 12-24-2006, 01:29 PM

My girls were born at 38w3d and weighed 6 lbs. 13 oz. and 7 lbs. 1 oz. So...it is not unreasonable AT ALL to hope for - or expect! - 7 pounders!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#41 of 54 Old 01-02-2007, 01:55 PM

My singleton was 8lbs13oz. @39 weeks

My twins were 8lbs even and 8lbs3oz @ 40w2d

My goal was also two 7-pounders. They just didn't want to come out, lol.

I followed the Brewer Diet with both pregnancies. Not perfectly, but I definitely pushed the protein (80-100 gms/day for singleton; 120-150 gms/day for twins). I didn't find out I was carrying twins until 26 weeks, but I'd already gained 30 lbs. by then, so I was obviously eating plenty I just increased the protein from that point on.

It's very possible, so keep up the good work!!!!!
#42 of 54 Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we came close! My babies were born on Christmas Eve weighing 6lb11oz and 6lb2oz. They are perfect - strong and healthy, and that's what really matters. Thanks for sharing all of the inspiring stories.
#43 of 54 Old 01-03-2007, 10:13 PM

Congratulations!!!!!
#44 of 54 Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 AM

How wonderful! You did great, mama! I hope you'll make it back sometime soon to share your birth story and some pictures of the cuties. :-)

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#45 of 54 Old 01-04-2007, 01:18 AM

Very nice. Can't wait to hear the birth story. Glad everyone is healthy.

Happy New Year to you!!! Enjoy your babymoon.
#46 of 54 Old 01-04-2007, 02:16 AM

yay! i hope you get a chance to write your story soon!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#47 of 54 Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 AM

Can't wait to read about their births!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#48 of 54 Old 01-04-2007, 09:11 AM

Congratulations.
#49 of 54 Old 01-04-2007, 10:50 PM

way to grow!
#50 of 54 Old 01-05-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I'm afraid I probably won't post a birth story. I had to have a c-section because Baby A was footling breech. Although the birth wasn't terrible, and was actually better than I had expected, it wasn't the natural, vaginal twin birth I had been hoping for.

My doctor listened to my requests, and abided by all of my wishes - commentating during the procedure, letting me know step by step what he was doing, and showing me the babies before they were evaluated. My dh was with me the entire time and I was able to hold the babies and kiss them in the OR. When the babies were taken to the nursery, dh went with them and never left their sides. The worst part was I didn't get to see them in recovery. I had to wait until I was taken to postpartum, so we were separated for almost three hours. I was an anxious basket case.

I had written out a birth plan for c-section, so everybody who came into contact knew my requests - no circ, bfing exclusively, rooming in, etc.

I was in terrible pain for the first few days, but I am healing nicely now and (kow), there haven't been any complications from the surgery.

I'm just thrilled to have my babies.
#51 of 54 Old 02-05-2007, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma View Post
i thought you werent supposed to drink primarily distilled water because since there is nothing in it it can mess up your electrolyte balance.. . . . ???? did i just make that up?
Yes, this is correct. While some people believe in short term benefits of distilled water in cleansing the body during special diets, etc. it can be very harmful to drink it over an extended period of time. I don't know how long a time period is considered "extended" but would think one would want to be especially careful in its consumption during pregnancy. Drinking distilled water leaches trace minerals from your body. Mineral water, on the other hand, is supposedly the healthiest water you can drink.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#52 of 54 Old 02-05-2007, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations on your special Christmas gifts. I reply to your original question for the sake of future readers. . .

Yes! It is definitely possible to have 7lb twins. Ours were born at 39wks 4days: boys 7lb8oz and 6lb15.5oz. (I'm sure Twin B would have broken the 7lb mark if he hadn't had immediate cord clamping, but we were fighting bigger battles with the doc that night! :-?)

Our singletons have been 9lb14.25oz, 9lb1.5oz, and 11lb1oz., so you sure do need to consider genetic tendencies.

I found out I was pregnant with twins at 13 weeks. I was very concerned about my weight gain earlier in the pregnancy - having read the advice about "24lb by 24 weeks". I was diagnosed with major depression during the pregnancy (no fun at all!) and spent a couple of months totally force-feeding myself. The up-side to my complete lack of appetite was that EVERYTHING I ate was totally healthy. Any previous weaknesses/desires for desserts and junk food totally vanished. I tried to follow the Brewer Diet and am pretty confident I met the protein requirements, but I know I was low on fruits and veggies.

I gained only 17lb by 24 weeks and I gained 40lb overall. I worried a lot that the pattern of and amount of weight gain would contribute to premature delivery. From my own reading of mainstream medicine re: twin pregnancies versus midwifery/homebirth/self-pre-natal care, it seems pretty clear in my mind that the normal recommendations for twin pregnancy weight gain are simply insufficient and that this might answer the "mystery" about why half of twin births are premature.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#53 of 54 Old 02-07-2007, 03:37 PM

I'm hoping for good-sized twins too. Also want to get as close to term as possible (and I mean 40, not 37 wks) and have a natural, vaginal birth. I'm following Brewer too. We found out at 21 wks when I had already gained over 20 lbs with the blessing of our midwife.

Now we're looking for an OB back up (in case of complications) and someone who has experience with natural, vaginal twin births. The first doc we interviewed thinks nutrition for twins is no different than any pregnancy: Geez, my body knows otherwise!
#54 of 54 Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 PM

I'm 37w3d and my experienced midwife is estimating that they are at LEAST seven pounds each now- I'm guessing closer to 8. Never say never! We make huge babies though, DD was 36w5d and 8lb4oz.

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page