Is it unreasonable to hope for 7-pounders? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 11-08-2006, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whenever I say this, people just look at me like I'm crazy. I am 32 weeks tomorrow and at a 30-week growth scan, the babies were 3lb.10oz. and 3lb.13oz. I haven't had any problems with PTL, my cervix is still long, thick and high. I have BH, but not that bad. My fundal height is 42 cm.

I feel really good about where I am right now. The babies are above average for singletons, I eat high-quality protein, have a yogurt and soy protein smoothie every morning - 32 g. of protein! drink my RRL tea, take spirulina and calcium supps. The twins are di-di. Two placentas - not fused together. Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to grow these babies to 7 pounds? Is there anything else I can do to ensure that they grow well?

I kind of feel like it's a challenge now. I really want healthy, strong nursers and I'm willing to do whatever possible to make that happen. Any advice from moms who have been able to do this?

Oh, and the 7-pound mark is just a personal goal - I, of course, will be thrilled with healthy, strong babies in the 6-7 pound range!
#2 of 54 Old 11-08-2006, 12:19 PM

Dahlink, it can be done! I was on the Bradley diet, which resulted with the following:

DD at 6lbs 2 oz and
DS at 8lbs 4 oz! <---This guy at all the food!

The twins are almost 2.5 years old and the girl is only the size of an 18mo., but very alert, bright, happy, not to mention wiry little girl. The boy is in 3t with a penchant for the language, cooking (no joke), and reciting whole books (not reading, but still impressive).

Waldorf mama to 5yo b/g twins
#3 of 54 Old 11-08-2006, 12:27 PM

It can absolutely be done! An excellent diet, plenty of water, listening to your body and POSTIVE thinking go a long way. I will not be surprised at all to hear you get your 7 lbers. I wanted two 7 lbers but instead my baby girl was 6 lbs 10 oz and my baby boy was 8 lbs 4 oz, so I guess that averages out. Several mamas here had TWO 8 lbers. It can be done.

Blessed mama of four
::
#4 of 54 Old 11-08-2006, 01:07 PM

It absolutely can be done! I think it mainly depends on how long you carry them too. Your chances of having 7lbers at 36 weeks are not so good, but if you carry them to closer to your due date you probably will have them. Mine were born at 40weeks 3days and were 7lb 15oz and 8lb 2oz. I was really shooting for 9lbers but I was very happy with 8lbers
#5 of 54 Old 11-08-2006, 01:14 PM

I am out of my league here because I don't have twins BUT my best friend does. She had two 7-lb. babes on the mark. I think she took very good care of herself while pregnant... really making sure to get enough nutrients. She even had a complication free homebirth!
I am so excited because I'm on my way to see them for the first time this weekend.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
#6 of 54 Old 11-08-2006, 02:09 PM

My twins are Identical and delivered at 38 wks at 7 lbs and 5 lbs 8oz. Hi protein diet helps and get lots of rest now! They will be 3 next month and are 1 lb 1/2 difference.
#7 of 54 Old 11-08-2006, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahloughmiller View Post
I was really shooting for 9lbers but I was very happy with 8lbers
I guess my goal isn't as lofty as yours was!

Thanks for all of the reassurance. I sort of follow the Brewer diet. I can't eat eggs every morning - usually have a protein shake. I do very well with the dairy portion of the diet - milk, low-carb yogurt snacks, hard cheese and lots of cottage cheese. And I cook most of our meals from scratch, so I get lots of veggies and meat.

I've been drinking about 12 glasses of water a day, including the quart of RRL tea. I know I should probably up that.

Ahhh, sleep. If only my bladder would cooperate . . .
#8 of 54 Old 11-08-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I've been drinking about 12 glasses of water a day, including the quart of RRL tea. I know I should probably up that.
Yes, it's best to shoot for at least a gallon of water a day. Distilled water is the best kind to drink and it also tastes the best in my opinion. I kept a 32 oz water bottle with me all the time and drank at least 4 of those everyday. Plenty of good water (not tap water) is really important. Good luck!

Blessed mama of four
::
#9 of 54 Old 11-08-2006, 04:29 PM

Sounds like you are following a good, high protein diet. Drink lots of water. My di-di boys were 7-3.8 & 7-5.5 at 39wks, 5 days. You can definitely do it. You have an advantage over me, too, since I only discovered I was carrying twins when I was as far along as you are now. Of course at 7 months my guys are little peanuts now....but they are strong and healthy (and smart, if I do say so myself! ) Think positively.
#10 of 54 Old 11-08-2006, 05:25 PM

You can do it! My twins decided to be born at 37 weeks & 4 days and were just shy of 7 & 8 lbs each (6-14 & 7-13). Had I gone closer to my dd, I"m sure they wouldn't been over 8lbs each (my goal) - and probably pretty close to, if not, 9! They're 7 months now and have maintained a 3 lb difference (exactly) since they started gaining their post-birth weight. They're 17.5 & 20.5 lbs now! Oh, I also didn't know I was having twins until 26 weeks so I wasn't eating nearly as well as you are already. I'm sure it can be done - hang in there! Oh, and genetics does make a difference, IMO - some people have larger babies then others (my singletons were both on the large side).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#11 of 54 Old 11-08-2006, 06:05 PM

Yes! Not unreasonable at all!

My goal was 5 lbs each . . . I followed the Dr. Luke stuff (about a 120 grams of protein daily, plus all the other supplements, a gallon of water per day, etc.) and my twins weighed 7 lbs 4 oz. each at 39 weeks.

Yours will grow a lot between now and term . . . and ultrasounds can be off, so don't over analyze the results of your us.

Keep it up
#12 of 54 Old 11-08-2006, 09:21 PM

My goal was a vaginal birth... but YES it can be done.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#13 of 54 Old 11-09-2006, 09:45 AM

Yup, it can be done. But I agree that genetics plays a large role. My singleton was 6'4 oz born at 39 weeks + 0 d; my twins were 6'12 oz and 6'4 oz and born at 39 weeks + 0 d. i think my body has an expel date of 39 weeks! I knew they were twins from the second month, but while I ate well I didn't follow any specific diet. I did however drink a ton of water and fruit tea!
#14 of 54 Old 11-09-2006, 12:50 PM

As PP have said definitely can be done, sounds like you are doing everything you can to have full term good weight babies. Mine were born at 38+3 and were 7lbs 4oz and 7lbs 8oz.
#15 of 54 Old 11-09-2006, 01:18 PM

Just chiming to to say - yes, of course you can! My girls were 5 lbs and 6lbs4oz at 37w1d and we were really happy with that (we don't grow huge babies in my family, even singletons!). One of my best friends had her boys at 36w6d and they were 6lbs6oz and 7lbs7oz. My next door neighbour had her girls 20 years ago and they were both over 8lbs!! I followed Barbara Luke's diet and really credit it for getting my babes to term and at good weights. My main goal was to go to 37w and to have a spontaneous unmedicated vaginal birth and I got it all You can do it mama!
#16 of 54 Old 11-09-2006, 02:34 PM

Yes, it is definitely possible! My babes are 5 weeks now and at birth (38 weeks) my boy was 8lb 2oz and my girl was 6lb 15 oz., so basically I had 15 lbs of baby in me! (plus 2 placentas) It sounds like you are doing a great job! Best wishes to you!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#17 of 54 Old 11-09-2006, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Of course it can be done! When I had my 2nd baby, a friend of mine had twins (we met in LLL, I didn't know her during the pg) and they were each over 7lbs, and she had them both vaginally. According to her, it was all about nutrition.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#18 of 54 Old 11-10-2006, 12:16 AM

I would say a huge % of us had 7 pounders. Jude was 7 lb 10 oz and Ava was 5 lb 12 oz. I was 37 weeks when they were born.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#19 of 54 Old 11-10-2006, 12:40 AM

Mine were both 7 1/2 lbs at 37 w 5 days. They were gaining 1/2 lb each per week the last few weeks, so you can do it!!

I ate lots of protien and GOOD fats around the clock (because I was up any way!!). I liked protein shakes and sunflower nut butter.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#20 of 54 Old 11-10-2006, 12:47 AM

i thought you werent supposed to drink primarily distilled water because since there is nothing in it it can mess up your electrolyte balance.. . . . ???? did i just make that up?

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#21 of 54 Old 11-10-2006, 12:58 AM

It's completely possible but please do not get upset with yourself if it doesn't happen.

I have two sets of twins. The first set I was absolutely neurotic about eating all the protein I could, drinking lots of water etc, etc, etc. My babies were born at 38w6d, weighing 6lbs and 5lbs4oz.

The second pregnancy, I could not even stomach the sight of meat. Seriously, I would throw up. So, my protein intake was much less. Oh, I still ate healthy, drank water, took it easy when I could. But, I was not neurotic about it -- OH, not saying you or anyone else is, but just that I was. Bottom line is I listened to my body. Babies were born at 37w3d weighing 6lbs6oz and 5lbs5oz.

So, almost identical weights. 2nd pregnancy the combined weight was 6oz more.

So, I guess my point is is that as long as your being healthy about your choices, not overdoing things, listening to your body and being smart your body is going to do what it's going to do. Yes, by all means, make good choices and that will make it easier on your body to grow big babies, but please don't set a goal that under 7 lbs means you didn't do the right things. Make sense?

Take care and good luck,
Nancy
#22 of 54 Old 11-10-2006, 03:05 PM

I don't think it's unreasonable at all, and in fact, that's what I was shooting for. My midwives told me of a woman they met who delivered twins at home that weighed 8 lbs. each! I know there have been mamas on here who have acheived that, too.

I was on the Brewer diet, like alot of people here. While my babies were born at 31 weeks, and so obviously didn't make it to the 7 lb. mark, they weighed 4'2 oz and 4'5 oz., which is big for their gestational age. Some of the NICU staff argued with us and insisted that the babies had to have been conceived earlier because they were so big, but we knew the date was right. Finally, the staff realized it must be true because of the lung issues our girls had. My dh kept saying "She ate really well - that's why they're so big". I know at least one NP told him "that didn't have anything to do with it". : Like hell it didn't! I totally credit the Brewer diet for their being big and healthy (relatively) preemies.

Good luck to you. I really hope you have some chubby, beautiful babies
#23 of 54 Old 11-10-2006, 09:57 PM

I think that's larger than average for twins, but someone's got to make up for us ladies with the tiny babies! I wish you good luck and healthy babies, however big they are.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#24 of 54 Old 11-12-2006, 09:37 PM

Mine were born at 38 wks +1 and weighed 6'4 and 6'5. My goal was to deliver as a VBAC which I did.
#25 of 54 Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 PM

think positive and eat your protein!

mine were 7'4 and 8'6 at 39w5d

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#26 of 54 Old 11-17-2006, 07:18 PM

Absolutely! Mine were 7lbs 6 oz and 6 lbs 3 oz at 38 weeks. Hope for it, but realize that you don't hold the final say on this one.
Good luck
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#27 of 54 Old 11-17-2006, 11:12 PM

I had the same goal for 7 pounders. My twins were born at 38 weeks with my girl weighing 6lb 14oz (almost 7lbs!!!) and my boy was 5lb 8oz. Until the end he had kept right up with her weight-wise. More importantly though, they were discharged with me at the end of our 2-day hospital stay and we all went home together. It was great! Good luck!
#28 of 54 Old 11-18-2006, 12:16 AM

My secret was determination to prove my Ob wrong I also wanted two 7Lbers and my visualization was a 7lber and 8lber. What I ended up with was
Baby A 8 15.2 Lbs
Baby B 8 15.2 Lbs

Nearly two 9LBers!!! They each had their own placenta and they were both lush and functioning great even at 40weeks 2 days when I delivered. They were big beautiful boys and continue to be they are over 15 Lbs each at just under 3 months :

You CAN do it mama! I drank a gallon+ water every day and aimed for the 176g of protein everyday. I don't know if I ever made 176 but I think I got over 100g every day usually in the 120's. It seemed to pay off!

Good luck mama!
#29 of 54 Old 11-28-2006, 04:16 PM

I just wanted to say that even at 5 pounds you can have a very healthy strong nursers. A baby does not need to be 7 pounds for that! I had 5#2 oz. and 6#7 oz. twin boys at 36 weeks that were both very healthy and nused for 16 months.
#30 of 54 Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 PM

my twins were born at 34 weeks weighing 5lb and 4.7 lb.

BOTH were very strong nursers and we nursed until they were 5.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page