Low milk supply in evening - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-13-2006, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi~
My babes are 5 weeks old and the past 4 nights I have had low milk supply in the late evening, right about when our family is going to bed. This is, of course, the worst time to have it as we are all tired and the babies nurse to sleep.

I am wondering if water intake or lack of sleep could be the problem? Yesterday I made sure I drank 1.5 gallons of water and it was still an issue. Any ideas?

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 02:32 AM

It is normal for you to have low supply in the evening. Your supply is highest in the early morning. However, on top of that, I would guess you are starting a growth spurt.

How are you eating? It takes A LOT of calories to nurse twins, especially at first. Most of us, at 5 weeks, are eating the worst, if at all most of the day. Try to get some quick healthy foods that you can eat one handed. That will help.

Just keep nursing, eating, and drinking and it should resolve in a few days.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#3 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 05:25 AM

Growth spurt! They're brutal with twins and can last up to a week. It's not that you have low milk supply, nursing twins and as often as you are that is unlikely to happen.: Your milk is higher protein and lower fat in the evenings and is even more rapidly digested. During growth spurts this is, um, particularly noticeable to the little nurslings.

Eat, drink, rest, nurse, and know that it will pass in a few days. Growth spurts, ah the memories.:
#4 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 01:26 PM

Apparently, this is a phenomena unique to the women of North America. In other countries the women are more likely to nap in the afternoons which helps build their supply for the evening. If it is possible (funny, I know) try to nap in the afternoons, drink as much as you can, and nurse on demand in the evenings. Your babies could also be going through a growth spurt.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#5 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 02:52 PM

yep sound like a growth sput. Drink lots of water and snack, snack, snack. When I was living with my SIL she would make me snacks all the time to help keep my supply up. Even the 3:am feeding she would make me a snack and made sure I was getting tons of protein too. Sometimes she would make me protein shakes that seemed to help a lot. Keep it up you are doing great. I think for me the first 7 weeks were the hardest then it got a lot eaiser
#6 of 9 Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 PM

yup.. we had the same issues at that time. I remember just nursing them continuously all evening. It's harder with twins also. If you feel like it you could pump a little in the morning when your supply is higher and along with all the nursing give them that in a bottle in the evening. Anyway, hang in there, things will be better in a week or so.

Stacy
Mom to Maya/Thomas 11 months.
#7 of 9 Old 11-15-2006, 01:44 PM

ditto to all PP.. I went through the same w/growth spurts...just keep on nursing.
#8 of 9 Old 11-15-2006, 04:56 PM

I had low milk supply around 5 weeks and it lasted until about 7 weeks. It was very stressful for me (I wish I had this website then!), but just like pp's said rest and eat as much as you can! My boys would be very hungery and crying in the late evening and I had VERY low milk supply. My twins are 3 now (still nursing) and that's the ONLY time I've ever not had enough milk. Hang in there. I know it's a tough time.

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#9 of 9 Old 11-15-2006, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OR Mom View Post
I had low milk supply around 5 weeks and it lasted until about 7 weeks. It was very stressful for me (I wish I had this website then!), but just like pp's said rest and eat as much as you can! My boys would be very hungery and crying in the late evening and I had VERY low milk supply. My twins are 3 now (still nursing) and that's the ONLY time I've ever not had enough milk. Hang in there. I know it's a tough time.
I just want to say, growth spurts in multiples can FEEL like low milk supply, but they are not true low milk supply. It can take up to two weeks for this first growth spurt to end, and it can make a mama feel as if she truly has genuine low milk supply. However, the first growth spurt is a different thing. Hugs to you mama! Growth spurt is a normal adjustment of supply, and a normal adjustment to new twin motherhood. It is also pretty brutal as many of us can recall.:

It does get better. To the OP, hang in there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page