Please Help! Baby A is breech! UPDATE: She flipped! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-28-2006, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had my last growth scan yesterday and baby A is breech at 34w4d. Baby B is vertex.

I'm wondering if there is any chance baby A will turn around in the next few weeks, and what I can do to help her along. I've done the ironing board - but only once. I've also heard to place headphones on my lower belly and frozen peas on my upper belly to get her to flip. I plan to try that today. Would a chiropractor be any help with twins?

My OB will only allow me to attempt to deliver vaginally if Baby A is head-down. Baby B can be breech. He hasn't mentioned c-section, and assures me there is still time, but I want to be as pro-active as possible.

On a positive note, both babies looked great and their weights are estimated to be 5 lb. 7 oz. each.
#2 of 16 Old 11-28-2006, 01:11 PM

Congratulations on the twins!
I had same problem. At around 36? weeks I did chiro, and accupuncture(moxa) as well as all the things you mentioned. I spent lots of time on the birth ball leaning over it, inversion, ice on the baby's head, yoga, everything and it worked to flip but they always flipped back. When I finally arrived at hospital BOTH babies were breech. AACK!!! So c-section for me, but I would definitely say keep trying, I think you have plenty of time. I really did not want a c/s. My babies also switched positions from A to B at the end of pregnancy.

Also, the "small" baby by ultrasound ended up being 2 lbs heavier than her sister at birth...

Best wishes and think positive
Paige
#3 of 16 Old 11-28-2006, 02:33 PM

I tried using Spinning Babies to get Baby A to turn. He was breech from week 22 on. My ob at 34 weeks told me we still had time for him to turn. However I went into labor at 35 weeks 6 days we did an u/s at the hospital and he was still breech so I had a repeat csection.
#4 of 16 Old 11-28-2006, 03:21 PM

I tried my ciro to get my baby a to flip he refused he is still my stubborn one. My friend did ice above and a flashlight below and told the baby to move towards the light. It worked her baby a flipped and she was able to deliver vag. I had to have a c-section but I would keep trying everything you can good luck on getting that baby to flip and congrats on the twins you are in for a great adventure
#5 of 16 Old 11-28-2006, 08:31 PM

I tried the Webster technique with a chiro to turn A and B (mine were both breach), but I never really felt any additional movement from it.

Personally, I felt a lot more activity after moxibustion, which is the application of heat on accupuncture points. The babes would go crazy jiggy moving around.

And I did about a million other things too (as mentioned by pp's). In the end, mind didn't turn, but I think it's worth trying everything you can.
#6 of 16 Old 11-29-2006, 03:34 PM

What worked for me was doing handstands and sommersaults in the water. I did them both in the river and in the local pool. I read it in Heart in Hands and it worked almost immeduately. So if it doesn't work the first time, keep trying. I was at 32 weeks at the time and they started off breech and transcerse. A turned vertex right away and B turned a few days later after continuing to get upside down...Good luck!

tassy
DS 5, DD 19mos, Twin DDs 7 weeks old born on their due date....

Tassy mom to DS(13), DD(8), and twin DDs (7)  homeschool.gif

#7 of 16 Old 11-29-2006, 04:43 PM

Wanted to add that my babies kept moving/flipping right up to the last week, so definitely still time for you.
Hi Tassy, my girls are 6 weeks old, also born on due date at 40 weeks! Congratulations
Paige
#8 of 16 Old 11-30-2006, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your responses. I've been feeling a ton of movement, but I'm pretty sure I can still feel her head under my ribcage. I'm going to try some of the non-invasive methods and maybe chiro.

As a side note, I had a prenatal appointment today and my OB completely surprised me. We were talking about Baby A being breech and what would happen if I went into labor and she hadn't flipped. He said that it would depend on the situation, but if she was a frank breech and her bum was engaged in my pelvis, I could attempt vaginal! I was so shocked. I thought for sure he would say we would schedule a c-section around 38 weeks, etc. He didn't even mention c-section, except to say that if she was footling, he felt it would be too risky to deliver the first baby vaginally. I am so relieved. I feel like my doctor has my best interest at heart, and isn't automatically jumping to surgery as an option.
#9 of 16 Old 12-02-2006, 02:51 PM

That is so awesome! It's wonderful to have such a great doc, isn't it??! It sounds like things are coming along great...and if you have a doc on your side like it sounds like he is, then there is a very high possibility of having a vaginal birth. I had a doc who said the c-section word EVERY visit!! My babies were both head down, but he knew I wanted a vaginal birth, and wanted to make sure I knew he wasn't making any promises, I guess. I changed docs and she was great...didn't mention c-sec...even though they turned to vertex/transverse (my first doc said unless BOTH were head down, it would be c-sec). I had an unmedicated vaginal delivery even though after baby A was born (head down) Baby b stuck her feet out immediately!! I didn't even know footling breech was the riskiest then...and I am glad!! I hope things go as well for you!!!!!!!!!!!1
#10 of 16 Old 12-09-2006, 12:59 PM

My Baby A was breech from about 30 w, with her sister vertex, up until 37 w when they were born. My OB was very disappointed - he really wanted me to have a vaginal delivery too! He did a quick u/s right before they took me into the OR for my c-section, but she still hadn't turned.

Try all of the things you can to get that baby to turn - I hope it works for you! I've heard it's just a lot harder for the babes to turn over because it's so cramped for space in there. Good luck!

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

#11 of 16 Old 12-14-2006, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: I had a really quick scan at my appt today to check position and Baby A flipped to vertex! I am so excited. I was beginning to dread the birth because I was afraid of all of the interventions, etc., and scared to death at the thought of a c-section. She's still high but her head is right where it needs to be in my pelvis, and I'm 1-2 cm dilated. Baby B, who had been vertex three weeks ago flipped to breech, but I'm not concerned. I'm 37 weeks today!
#12 of 16 Old 12-14-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy View Post
What worked for me was doing handstands and sommersaults in the water. .
I have to say, this is one of the most delightful mental images my mind can conjure right now, except perhaps the little twin cuties themselves!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#13 of 16 Old 12-14-2006, 10:25 PM

Congrats!! and good luck

sarah
#14 of 16 Old 12-15-2006, 12:38 AM

That is wonderful news! :

Blessed mama of four
::
#15 of 16 Old 12-15-2006, 12:59 AM

Awesome! That's excellent news!!!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#16 of 16 Old 12-15-2006, 01:00 AM

Yay! Keep us posted, and stay down, Baby A!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page