Sleeping on the swing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-28-2006, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
My boys are 11 weeks old. Lately I have noticed a very strange pattern.
Usually, at night they are bathed and right after they are breastfed and topped off with 1-2 oz bottle. One boy goes to bed; he gets his binky and falls asleep right away. The other one, on the other hand, suddenly becomes very alert and awake, even though he did not sleep all day. When I attempt to put him in bed, he starts stretching, fussing, and making noise. If I leave him there in hope that he will fall asleep, he starts crying. The only way he falls asleep is on the swing. It usually takes him an hour, and it has to be in motion of course. I don't know how long this is going to last, but I am concerned because he does not sleep in bed on the flat surface. During the day he only takes his naps on the swing as well. I don't know what to do so he will lie down in bed. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks!!

Rebeca
#2 of 17 Old 11-28-2006, 02:11 PM

i dont have a problem with sleeping in the swing...
why not try having him fall asleep in the swing then move him to bed..
my 6 and 3 yr olds were definate swing kids... some kids just need the calming motion... just like sleeping when the car is driving..

at 11 weeks old id take whatever sleep i could get
#3 of 17 Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried moving him, but he wakes up and we start all over again. I agree with getting all the sleep I can get!!!
#4 of 17 Old 11-28-2006, 03:06 PM

My babies had a hard time staying asleep on flat surfaces for awhile, too. I don't think they actually napped on a flat bed until they were close 6 or 7 months old. They also didn't sleep well at night on a flat surface until they were about 2 months old. If mine weren't napping on me, they very often napped in the swing.

Blessed mama of four
::
#5 of 17 Old 11-28-2006, 03:35 PM

Mine napped in a swing until about 10 months, I say go with it!
#6 of 17 Old 11-28-2006, 04:05 PM

you could get something like the amby bed for him..

http://www.ambybaby.com/

there is an ebay seller who makes a similar product for a much better price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget
#7 of 17 Old 11-28-2006, 08:33 PM

You have twins. Do whatever it takes to get your babies to sleep. (So YOU can sleep!)

I don't see anything wrong with a swing; they outgrow it eventually.
#8 of 17 Old 12-01-2006, 02:53 AM

2 of mine fall asleep in the swings. One is transitioning out of it. The third used to do the vibrating bouncy, but now it is a boppy in the corner with her Pooh blanket, so he will grow out of it. Have you tried swaddling? All my girls loved it for a few months and now only one does so it is also a phase, but definately helped!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#9 of 17 Old 12-02-2006, 11:55 PM

I agree with the others, do whatever it takes right now Mine also hated being flat and happily dozed in the swings until 7 months
#10 of 17 Old 12-03-2006, 12:02 AM

I do not have multiples. But my dd used to always nap in a swing. Until her swing caught on fire. It was a fisher price natures wonders cradle swing. She was not injured, thankfully. Please be careful with swings. Can you try turning the swing off after your dc falls asleep?
#11 of 17 Old 12-03-2006, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas!!! I have tried swaddling him, but he hates it, and yes I do turn off the swing after a while, or at least I try to do it befor I go to bed. What is happening right now, is that he will not nurse and them just get on the swing and go to sleep, he gets very fussy, is wide awake and if the binky falls out, the yelling begins. What is really interesting is that he does not do this during the day, he will eat, and them get on the swing, and sit and sleep without a binky, and the yelling. He is not sleeping all day by the way, so I don't understand why he gets so alert after eating. Any ideas????
#12 of 17 Old 12-03-2006, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you tried nursing him to sleep? My DD would nurse to sleep when small, and any attempt to move her from where she was (sling, floor, whatever) would result in her waking up and the whole thing having to start over.

The breast can be great for comfort, not just for feeding.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#13 of 17 Old 12-03-2006, 05:29 PM

Does he show any signs of reflux, or silent reflux? My reflux boy (still) falls asleep better sitting up:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#14 of 17 Old 12-03-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

I do breastfeed him to sleep, but as it was stated, he wakes up as soon as I try to move him. There are no signs of reflux at all, so that is what is so weird.
#15 of 17 Old 12-05-2006, 01:20 AM

Not a mom to twins...but my 4th child slept in the swing for the first few months. He just didn't like the crib, and eventually he went to co-sleeping with me after 4-5 months, which he didn't like at first either. He squirmed, moved, and just wouldn't sleep unless he was in that swing!

Silly boy!
#16 of 17 Old 12-08-2006, 03:13 PM

my boys are big time startlers and would wake themselves up when lying on their back on a flat surface so I got some sleep positioners and they have helped calm them a lot. After a bath I usually nurse them to sleep in our bed and let them sleep there until their next feeding when I move them into a co-sleeper. They usually end up in our bed anyway and we all sleep great.
#17 of 17 Old 12-11-2006, 04:57 PM

My twins are 13 weeks old now and about 2 or 3 weeks ago I was facing similar challenges to you. I finally found some success when I red Harvey Karp's book (The Happiest Baby on the Block). Here's a quick summary of the things that worked for me:

Swaddling - my son didn't like it either at first but then I added the white noise, relaxing music and swinging (in my arms - he doesn't like the swing) and watched him relax. As his eyes began to close I placed him on the bed and he continued to fall asleep on his own. I was floored! For white noise I bought a "sound therapy" machine and play it quite loud until he dozes off. Now of course, this isn't fool proof & doesn't work all the time but has improved his sleep immensely.

I noticed that you mention your babe isn't sleeping during the day. This is probably also part of why he is having difficulty falling asleep at night. When my boys get overtired they have a more difficult time falling asleep and don't sleep as well as when they have napped well during the day.

Another great book that has helped me with sleep issues with all 3 of mine is The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantly. I know.... as if you have time to read books! Just thought I'd mention it.

I wish you the best! In retrospect (from my first who had similar sleep issues as well) I find that many things that I worried about worked themselves out on their own - nothing is forever so go with what is working for you at the time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page