We are two . . today . . sigh . . .YEAH! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2006, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am equally and : today.

My babies are 2. Looking back on our kids second year of life I am a mixed bag of emotions. We struggled for so much of the year. The kids were sick. Often. And with increasing severity. Many trips to the Ped. Many rounds of antibiotics, steroids, nebulizer treatments, chest Xrays, sinus Xrays. Many scary middle of the night trips to the ER with babies who couldn't breath.

Sleeping was another issue this year. The kids night-waking was worse from 1 to 2 than from birth to 1. For much of this year we were routinely up 6, 7, 8x/night. I felt like I was perpetually exhausted. DH too.

This was also a year of conflict. The kids started to fight with each other, hitting, biting, pushing hair pulling - each and every day - all day. And climbing. They are climbers - all of them. On countertops, tables, ladders, the outside of the stairway and banister. Oh the climbing . . its so hard to keep them safe.

And clever. They learned to open the door and even unlock the deadbolt by 18 months. Hello top latches - installed on every door in the house. They were also jumping out of their cribs routinely by 20 months. Hello crib tents - we are not ready for toddler beds yet . . . . DD "found her diaper" and liked to share the contents with her crib. . . .hello special "sleeping suit for DD" (thanks to some wonderful MDC advice). And all those costly child locks on every cupboard in the house . . . guess what . . . last month they learned how to open those too?

Seemed like we could take them nowhere this last year. Not to a park. Not to a BBQ. Not to church. Nowhere. We (I especially) started to feel so isolated. So "alone" and "different". All the other families of 1 year olds were out doing stuff now . . .infancy was over for them, they were free . . .. we were more homebound than ever, it seemed. A loneliness and a sense of being overwhelmed set in for much of the year.

But the year was filled with joyful moments too. After crawling - Walking to Running came so quickly after the 1st birthday. DS's still not big talkers, but we heard "mama" and "dada" for the first time this year. We got our first "kisses" - real ones. DD gives us big hugs around the neck. They squeal and run to us when we come home. They cry when we leave. They hug and kiss each other. We removed dairy from their diet (thanks also to MDC advice) and started them on homeopathic remedies and bach flowers . . magically they stopped getting sick? They started sleeping through the night? Hey . . so did WE . . . amazing how much of the year's stress was gone once that happened. Was it because they just got older . . . .or did the dietary changes and homeopathy bring the cure? Don't know. Don't care. Other triplet moms and I started some semi-regular playdate get-togethers. Triplet style - at places where we can actually take them. The kids still fight, but its improving. We've devised ways to keep them safer in the house - but that is always changing. They are easier to take out - its still hard, but more doable anyway. We are growing. They are growing. Growing up.

They are amazing. This life we've been given . . that I never would have imagined . . . is all at the same time exhausting, frustrating, humbling, and wonderful and amazing.

Thanks for letting me share . . . . .

They are 2. Yeah! and I still haven't lost my mind! Double . . no make that triple YEAH!

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2006, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats!! My twins will be 2 next week. There are days I can barely handle 2 so I bow to you and your three.

This second year has been harder for me then the first too. The climbing and the accidents that come from it drive me nuts. My boys too have been sick lots this year. I hope the coming year brings you better luck.

Lucky you that you found a group that understands you. I was forced out from my support group this year because they just don't understand sickness or twins.

Best wishes for the next year. I can't wait to hear more from you.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:16 AM

Happy Birthday! (they share one with me: ).

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

Old 12-15-2006, 05:22 AM

Happy birthday!

I found that around 1.5yo to 2.5yo was really rough in terms of not being able to take my twins ANYWHERE. They were runners, escape artists, and had no interest in being anywhere near me. Also, I was pregnant, so I could NOT waddle after them speedily.

I want you to know that it got better after 2.5yo -- now they are almost 4yo and I take them everywhere, with relative ease... it's their sister (she's almost 2 now) that I have to keep an eye on, of course!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 AM

We're not there yet, nor are we twins, but I just want to say congrats!! Your realistic accounting of the year gives me hope and faith that we can make it as well. Happy Birthday(s)!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbelly2006 View Post
We're not there yet, nor are we twins, but I just want to say congrats!! Your realistic accounting of the year gives me hope and faith that we can make it as well. Happy Birthday(s)!
Thanks for the congrats. And I am glad that you find the account helpful. I wrote it for me - and for them - but also to let other MOMs know some of the reality for me, in case they are going through it too. It helps somehow to know that others went through it too . . .

Old 12-15-2006, 05:13 PM

to show how tired I am ...

We ARE twins, of course we are. What I meant to write is that "nor are we triplets." :

Congrats again!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:12 PM

Happy Birthday to your babies! A big congrats to you and your dh for making it through. I have twins, and can't imagine what it would be like with a third. A joy and a challenge it sounds like!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:27 PM

Happy Birthday!!!!! Thanks for sharing! Mine turn 3 tomorrow! They smeared poop from their diapers all over their crib last year too!
Old 12-18-2006, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Well. Thanks for everyone who read/commented on this post. I really enjoyed writing it. After re-reading, I realized that it really was a great summary of the last year with the kids. I decided to share it with some friends and family. I wanted to thank others for the help and support during the year - and used the email to do it with a little thank you at the end. I got a lot of wonderful responses and had some nice chats I probably wouldn't have otherwise had.

Tonight I opened up a reply to the email from my mother . . . and am speechless. I'll excerpt it here - it really speaks for itself.

"DD,

I purchased that watch for Dad for Christmas, your on your own for his Birthday. I'll be accepting any donation you want to make for the Christmas gift. If you do not want to be a part of this let me know and I'll take your name off of the gift tag. Just got back from baptism. It was just lovely.

Mom"

To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. Hurt I suppose is more accurate. I have no idea what motivates this woman to be so cold, honestly I haven't a clue. And the only thing that keeps me from telling her all this is that my older son really truely adores his grandparents. I am keeping a civil relationship with her at this point solely for him. They live 2 plane rides away - so its actually not that hard.

Thanks for listening. As always.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:40 PM

Holy crap! Wow. I'm speachless. I'm so sorry she is so cold I have issues with my dad and his wife too, but my oldest also adores him. I can relate to that feeling of being trapped into being civil with someone.

Again, I'm so sorry she hurt you.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:12 PM

Happy birthday! My girls are 8 months today and it is such a mixed thing. I'm so happy and still so sad that they aren't my babies anymore. (They have such big independent streaks). Thanks for sharing and about your mom!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif

User Tag List