Tell me about bedtime - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2006, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How old are your twins...

What time do they go to sleep...

How do they get to sleep? (On their own, in a crib, in family bed, nursing, bottle, etc)

How long do they stay asleep?

My twins are 7 months...we are still trying to find a way for them to sleep more. Right now they get nursed or rocked to sleep and then sleep in our family bed. They sleep between 45 min and 2 hours only at a time and then I begin the rotisserie mom routine flipping back and forth and feeding them. It has to stop, I am getting no sleep and becoming a very grouchy mama!
Advice please ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2006, 03:11 AM

My girls are 8 months old, 6 months adjusted, and they sleep in their own beds in the same room. They always start the night in their cribs, but often we will co-sleep with one and switch them out as they wake. Until they were about 4 months old, they were co-bedded, but started waking each other up with kicking.

Routine isn't very firm yet, but we've been working on it more and more. Around 7:00 we start bathtime and pajamas. We turn down all the lights in the house and tone down the noise level as much as we can with a toddler! Cluster feeding starts and I nurse one baby while my husband holds the other and puts our toddler to bed.

When the baby I am nusing gets droopy eyed, I swaddle her and attempt to lay her down. If she cries, we rock for a bit and if that doesn't work we nurse again. I've tried really hard not to set-up the suck to sleep association. I get the second baby from my husband and repeat the whole method. We play a Celtic lullaby CD in their room all night and keep the temperature warm.

When one wakes, she comes to bed to nurse and co-sleeps until the other wakes. My husband is great about getting up and switching them out.

We tried co-sleeping with our first daughter for almost a year. I was miserable and she was waking many (6+) times per night up until she was a year old and we chose to slowly cut out night nursings. I'll admit to not even wanting to attempt to co-sleep with the twins full time.

For naps, I do pretty much the same thing as night routine. They are swaddled and we nurse until they are super drowsy.

Currently both twins are in bed before 8:00 p.m. and Morgan wakes once and wakes for the day at 7:00 a.m. and Meagan wakes 1-3 times and is awake for the day at 6:30 a.m. On a rare day, they will both sleep in until 8:00 a.m.

Their naps range between two 30ish minute long catnaps, one around 10:00 a.m. and another around 4:00 p.m. to one long 2-3 hour nap starting at 11:00 a.m.

With a toddler that still wakes up 3-4 times per night I think we've lucked out with these kiddos and sleeping!

Here's hoping you get some sleep soon, Mama. I know it sucks to be without it and have so much on your plate.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:04 AM

Okay I don't co-sleep, never have, never will. :

And my twins are almost 4yo now, so it seems like forever ago that they were that little, but they were. They shared a crib until they were 6 mos. Then they were in the same room, each in their own crib (pushed together in the middle of the room). I swaddled them TIGHT, I played white noise, and they had pacis. (Another They each woke up at least once a night, and I'd feed them both, and I believe when they were around 9mos it got to be only once a night, and eventually they slept through the night -- I don't remember when or where, but I do know that they sleep through the night just fine now, in bunk beds. And they still nap.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 

User Tag List