Milk increase? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2006, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering if any of you have any suggestions on how to increase my milk. I am bf my two boys, and I am taking Fenugreek, the whole foods brand. I am taking 3 capsules 3 times a day, but it seems that I don't have enough because they are starting to stay longer on me, and suck and suck and suck. My boys are only 3 months old, and I would love to be able to continue feeding them my milk with out having to go to formula.
In advance I thank you for your support!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2006, 11:18 PM

You might want to post this on the "Breastfeeding Challenges" board too . . . as there will likely be lots of ideas there too.

Have you been having supply issues from the beginning? If this is something more recent, I am inclined to think the constant nursing is more likely due to their 3 month growth spurt. If you continue to give demand feed, they should build up your supply on their own (though it may take awhile).

In my foggy recollection, I think I was nursing at least one baby at all times for what seemed like a week to 10 days during that particular growth spurt.

Also, make sure you are drinking tons of water, getting rest (notice I didn't say sleep - I don't recall actually sleeping at all when mine were 3 months old!) Oh, and eating oatmeal is supposed to help too.

Hang in there - you're doing something great for your babes
Old 12-20-2006, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Try eating oatmeal. I'm not certain what other foods out there will increase your milk supply but I recently found out that oatmeal is a galactagog(not sure how to spell it). I was eating oatmeal daily after the birth of my dd and was producing far too much milk.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:42 AM

Get some Domperidone (aka Motillium). You can get it online. I am a BFAR mom (breastfeeding after a reduction) and many of us took it to bf. I had a huge supply after taking it 4x4/day.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 12-21-2006, 02:48 AM

yep oatmeal was a big help to me. Also drink rootbeer that helped lots too I did this with mother milk tea, I would also drink tons and tons of water. but at 3 months it was a growth spurt for my lil guys keep it up you can do this I would tell myself this every single day that I could do this
Old 12-21-2006, 12:22 PM

I think you may think your milk supply is low, but your babies might be going through a growth spurt. I recall Bf around the clock thinking they are starving and not getting enough, but I just did what they wanted and that was to nurse. The more you nurse the more milk you'll produce in addition to drinking a lot of water, eating very well and getting some rest all work hand in hand. Good luck, hope this helped.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:19 AM

I took fenugreek and blessed thistle which kicked my milk supply up in about 24 hours but I can't remember the dosage. I think it was 3 fenugreek and one blessed thistle 4 times per day, adding a lot of water as well.

good luck
K

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

User Tag List