Twins are different sizes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2007, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my boys where born they where different sizes. They are almost 7 months and there is a 3# difference. They are both healthy and growing well, but I'm wondering when they will even out. Has anyone had this experience? Also, they are identical but because of the size difference they don't look like it. Will they ever look the same?

Single mom to twin boys ('06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 12:03 PM

That is a pretty big size difference for identicals, I think. Did they have TTTS? I would imagine that would take a while to even out. My girls (also identical) were 3 ounces apart at birth and then were the same for a few weeks (even to the gram, some days!) when they were in the NICU. Then Lilly got bigger than Kate and has been 6-8 ounces bigger all year. But as long as they are healthy, I wouldn't worry, though I bet strangers say "They aren't identical!" because people are stupid.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:00 PM

My girls are frat, but were the same weight at birth and only 1" different in length. Now, at 16 mos, DD1 is 3 inches taller and 5 pounds bigger than DD2 - strangers often think they were conceived one right after the other because the difference is so remarkable!

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:05 PM

Mine are faternal twins. They were about 6 ounces difference between them at birth and 1/2 inch. Now one is about 7lbs heavier then the other but only an inch taller.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:07 PM

My girls are identical and one was a little more than 2 lbs more than the other. Doc said by 2 years old they should even out and if they don't by that age then one will always be bigger than the other. Mine are three now and the first born is still 2 lbs more and 1 inch taller, she seems bigger boned as well and a chubby face. Although lots of people can't see the difference and some can tell right away. I believe mine did have slight TTS. Though no one every confirmed it. Everyone correlates ID twins to look exactly alike, be the same weight etc. The term ID should be changed to something else. But the truth is they share the genes, and look different.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM

My girls are 3.5yrs old and they are identical. They were a pound different at birth and now they are still about a pound to a pound and a half different. I'm guessing they will stay that way for awhile because the one who is heavier likes her food and isnt as active and the smaller one hardly eats and is twice as active. Unless they change as they get older they may always be this different in weight. oh and the smaller one is also taller by maybe a half inch to an inch.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:19 PM

My MZ boys had almost a 2.5 lb. difference at birth, and it's pretty much stayed the same since (though the difference is not so apparent now that they're 37 and 35 lbs). It's true, they didn't look a whole lot alike at birth (which in my opinion was a blessing). Now even I have a little trouble sometimes telling them apart in pictures (they have very different expressions/mannerisms in real time, so they look radically different to me and to people who know them well).

It's amazing to me how so many profess to not being able to tell them apart, when they look so different. Trust me, you will hear this as much as you hear they don't look alike. Even the twin moms I know that have b/g twins hear it.

If there's one thing that I've learned over almost 4 years of being a mom to multiples, it's that you cannot and must not stake your enjoyment, pride, or fuzzy feelings on anything people say--since you're likely to hear two extremes within 15 minutes of each other. People say dumb things, in person and in text, it's unavoidable. And your twins are (or are not) MZ by genetics, not from what some random stranger or auntie decides to declare.

I don't think they are likely to ever look the same *to you*. I have not met any mothers of MZ multiples that couldn't tell them apart near instantaneously on a regular basis. Nor have I met any mothers of more than one child who didn't occasionally have a clueless moment as to who they were addressing and getting them mixed up.

A 2 lb difference when they're 5 and 7 lbs is stunning. Once they get up over 20 lbs? Not so much. Don't worry about it.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:02 PM

My boy/girl twins are 4 months old (2 mths adjusted) and my boy is 13#'s, my girl is 11#'s. At birth he was 3-11, she was 3-14 and for the 5 weeks they were in the NICU receiving precisely calculated quantities of BM via feeding tube, they were always the exact same size. Once home he instantly got bigger and was a great little eater, but she just couldn't figure out how to eat on her own and needed a feeding tube till 41 weeks, and now still eats little compared to her brother's appetite. She is also very active and he just sits around watching the world. I imagine he will always be bigger than she, and I'm sure genetics plays a part. I'm 5'0", DH is 6'1"

Amazingly I often am asked how I can tell them apart! Umm, are you kidding I think to myself : But okay, they do definately look like bro & sis. DH likes to respond by saying, 'we just pull down their pants'

see a current pic of him: http://picasaweb.google.com/TaisiaEl...00267578834082
see a current pic of her: http://picasaweb.google.com/TaisiaEl...03802336918754

Mama to DS & DD, 4 years old TWINS 
Birthing/Postpartum RN on my "free time".
Old 01-17-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleLove View Post
My boy/girl twins are 4 months old (2 mths adjusted) and my boy is 13#'s, my girl is 11#'s. At birth he was 3-11, she was 3-14 and for the 5 weeks they were in the NICU receiving precisely calculated quantities of BM via feeding tube, they were always the exact same size. Once home he instantly got bigger and was a great little eater, but she just couldn't figure out how to eat on her own and needed a feeding tube till 41 weeks, and now still eats little compared to her brother's appetite. She is also very active and he just sits around watching the world. I imagine he will always be bigger than she, and I'm sure genetics plays a part. I'm 5'0", DH is 6'1"

Amazingly I often am asked how I can tell them apart! Umm, are you kidding I think to myself : But okay, they do definately look like bro & sis. DH likes to respond by saying, 'we just pull down their pants'

see a current pic of him: http://picasaweb.google.com/TaisiaEl...00267578834082
see a current pic of her: http://picasaweb.google.com/TaisiaEl...03802336918754
what cuties!
Old 01-17-2007, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

It's nice to know that this isn't that uncommon! Thanks for all the responses.
While I was pregnant they where thought to have TTTS but when they where born (37 weeks) my little one's (born at 3#3oz) umbilical cord was the size of a sharpie marker. The doc's where amazed because his vitals through out where sometimes stronger than his brother (born at 4#11oz). I don't think that is TTTS. He was only in NICU for 13 days and his brother for 8 days.

Doublelove your babes are adorable!!

Just thought I would add a pic maybe theylook more alike than I think. http://www.flickr.com/photos/58788209@N00/

Single mom to twin boys ('06)
Old 01-17-2007, 05:40 PM

2 of my girls are about 4 pounds bigger than their big sis. Oddly, she was about a pound bigger than the other 2 at birth. She is just a lot more active, eats the same amount of food and is growing right along the bottom of the chart. Only hassle is 2 different sized clothes and dipes!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss amber View Post
While I was pregnant they where thought to have TTTS but when they where born (37 weeks) my little one's (born at 3#3oz) umbilical cord was the size of a sharpie marker. The doc's where amazed because his vitals through out where sometimes stronger than his brother (born at 4#11oz). I don't think that is TTTS. He was only in NICU for 13 days and his brother for 8 days.

Just thought I would add a pic maybe theylook more alike than I think. http://www.flickr.com/photos/58788209@N00/
When my placenta came out I noticed one umbilical cord was bigger and the other really small. Amazing.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss amber View Post

sooo cute, they have the same features except ones face is chubbier. That's how my twins looked when born, now at 3 years old doesn't look as apparent that one has a chubbier face.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 PM

Mine are fraternal and were 15 oz different at birth. At 9 months, they're now 5 full lbs different! After their birth, the larger one (who incidently is the younger one) got to be about 3lbs larger and they maintained that weight difference until the smaller one became mobile but the larger one didn't. Then the weight difference was 4 lbs, and then 5lbs for the last couple of months!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.

User Tag List