How much weight did you gain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-17-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry to appear and start asking all these questions.

Let's see I'm a bit over 15 weeks now and I'm already getting exhausted from trying to force protein (probably doesn't help that I'm a vegetarian). I feel like the weight has just been pouring on for the last month or so and I know its b/c I'm always choosing the high protein snack or meal.

I definitely want big full term (as close as possible babies) but I'm just feeling huge already. I need some support I guess!!
#2 of 24 Old 01-17-2007, 06:40 PM

Hi Tricia
I gained around 55 to 60 lbs (I stopped checking) and I also did the high protein diet, very high protein, till it was coming out my ears, high protein Well I'd say it worked, I didn't gain as much as I had thought I would(I gained more weight with my son) and my babies were 7lb 12oz and 5lb 12 oz born on due date. Back to pre-preg weight by two months. I think the high protein makes sure you gain enough while never letting you gain too much, at least in my very non-scientific opinion. Throw in my son and I's daily mantra of "39 weeks and 7 pounds each" lots of exercise and some positive thinking and we did it! I never minded being pregnant, had no physical probs luckily...
Best wishes!
Paige
#3 of 24 Old 01-17-2007, 10:33 PM

I was veg too when I got pregnant. When I found out it was twins I started eating meat (I actually craved it in the beginning, for the first time in years). By the end of my pregnancy, I was literally choking down steak to get enough. And adding a high protein shake at the end of days when my protein grams didn't add up to my goal. So, I feel your pain about getting enough protein.

I gained 80 pounds (probably a little more, but I don't think I got weighed in the last couple of weeks.) But it was worth it; I carried them to 39 weeks and they both weighed 7 lbs 4 oz.

I was back below my very healthy pre-preg weight by 3 months. In fact, I had trouble keeping weight on while nursing in the early months. Don't worry about the weight gain. I know, easier said than done
#4 of 24 Old 01-17-2007, 11:34 PM

I gained 62 lbs. Babies were born at 40 weeks 1 day and were 6 lbs 10 oz and 8 lbs 4 oz. It was easy for me to put on the weight, even after losing 6 lbs the first trimester. I just love eating. It took me about 9 or 10 months to lose all the pregnancy weight, but like I said, I love eating.

Blessed mama of four
::
#5 of 24 Old 01-17-2007, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i gained 55+ with my dd she was 8lb 3oz, gained 50+ with my ds was 8lb 2oz
#6 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 12:43 AM

I gained 50-55 lbs and my guys were 6 lbs 4 oz and 6 lbs 11 oz, born at 37 weeks 2 days. I was back to pre preg weight by six weeks pp without even having to try. I say don't focus on the weight, just focus on getting quality food and NO SUGAR. My only sugar was two servings of fruit a day, plus some complex carbs for the most part. And TONS of vitamins. I was veg but started eating chicken and some fish when we found out I was having twins and plan to continue doing so until I'm done nursing. My boys are really healthy, so maybe I did something right! Good luck-- you're going to do great I'm sure!
#7 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 01:21 AM

I gained 70-something lbs. My twins were born 2 days after my due date and they weighed 8lbs (exactly) and 8lbs3oz. Eat the protein. And then eat some more Don't worry about the weight. It comes off. I lost 35 lbs. the night I gave birth. The last 20 lbs. took some effort, but I'm smaller now than before ever having kids (I have an older son too--I gained 55 lbs. with him).

Lisa
#8 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
60 with triplets born at 34.5 weeks

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#9 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 02:14 AM

I gained 100lbs with my twins. I tried really hard to get as much protein as possible, but still gained weight like crazy. A lot of my weight gain was due to rediculous swelling of feet/ancles/legs. I lost 45lbs within the first week or two. I carried my babies to 37weeks and they were 7lbs 13oz and 6lbs 7oz. My babies are now 4 months old and I've only lost 15 more lbs since then (still have 40 to go). I am exclusively BFing my twins and the weight is just not coming off. I'm glad I gained the weight b/c (at least in my mind and please let me keep believing this ) it allowed me to carry my babies so long and helped them grow to such great healthy weights , but at the same time I am soooo frustrated because the weight is just not coming off
#10 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 02:30 AM

i gained 97 lbs and carried the boys to 37w6d they were healthy little guys only 5lb11oz each but dh and i were both small babies too both of us were under 7 lbs the weight will come off i am not down to my pre pregy size but i don't want to be i struggle to keep weight on i'm at 108 now and trying to get back up to 115 . I drank tons of protein shakes my boys drink them with me now too. I lost almost all the weight due to BF
#11 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 09:36 AM

I gained just over 50lbs had my babies at 38 and a half weeks, and they were 7lbs 4oz and 7lbs 8 oz. I was prepregnancy weight by about 6 weeks postpartum too.
#12 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 10:51 AM

I'm 33 weeks now, and I've gained about 40 pounds; I gained most of that before week 22. I really thought I'd have gained more by now. We'll be delivering early because of cholestasis, so I'll never know if I could have gone to term...

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#13 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 11:25 AM

I could only gained 30 lbs with my twins. I had horrible nausea in the 1st trimester, (lost 8#'s) and then little to no appetite for the rest of my pregnancy. I was constantly trying to force feed myself, sought regular acupuncture & chinese herbs to decrease nausea & stimulate appetite. I developed a major aversion to meat and struggled to choke it down. I craved fruit, water, and high fiber cereal...couldn't get enough of 'em. My fundus got to 46cm, then my water broke at 31 weeks, babies born 75 hours later at 3-11, 15" & 3-14, 16.5", They were premature, but healthy & strong.
(worth noting: I'm only 5' 0" and started out at 115 #'s)

Mama to DS & DD, 4 years old TWINS 
Birthing/Postpartum RN on my "free time".
#14 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
My babies are now 4 months old and I've only lost 15 more lbs since then (still have 40 to go). I am exclusively BFing my twins and the weight is just not coming off. I'm glad I gained the weight b/c (at least in my mind and please let me keep believing this ) it allowed me to carry my babies so long and helped them grow to such great healthy weights , but at the same time I am soooo frustrated because the weight is just not coming off
Mama, please give yourself a break! You are only 4 months PP and you gained 100 lbs. It is going to take time, but it will come off. It took me about 10 months to lose the 62 lbs I gained. Just focus on nursing those babies. Who cares if you are still carrying around some baby weight? You are ebf twins and that is something special!

Blessed mama of four
::
#15 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. I am trying to focus on the end result, but just feeling rather huge and stressed by food choices. I appreciate all the supportive posts! And I love reading about all these BIG twins !
#16 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 12:59 PM

80ish lbs for almost 37 weeks with triplets.
Don't worry about the weight, it'll come off later. I lost 60 lbs in the first week after birth.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#17 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 03:01 PM

I really don't think you should be worried about losing the weight too quickly. I sometimes wonder if losing my weight so fast has led to my saggy belly... way less attractive than having extra weight. I don't know whether you all got saggy bellies or not?
#18 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 04:05 PM

oh yeah, i've got the saggy belly thing going on too! real nice
#19 of 24 Old 01-18-2007, 05:03 PM

I gained 52 pounds with my twins. They were born weighing 6.2 and 6.11 at 38w3d. They are 25 days old today and I've lost all but 15 pounds. My breasts feel like they weigh at least that much, though!

According to Babara Luke's book, it's important to gain a substantial amount of weight in early pg with multiples. I was right on track with her recommendation to gain 38 pounds by 28 weeks.
#20 of 24 Old 01-19-2007, 12:13 AM

I gained 50 pounds, not including the 15 I put on due to the stress of IVF treatments. Down to PP weight (but not pre-trying to conceive) by 6 or 8 weeks, however I put 10 back on once the girls weaned : . Gotta work on that now...

BTW - they were 37 weeks (delivered due to pre-eclampsia), and 6 lb 3 oz each.

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

#21 of 24 Old 01-19-2007, 12:19 AM

This thread caught my eye because I really want twins someday (crazy??? I'm not sure....lol), so I thought I'd pop in...

Now, I'm a little scared....lol I gained over 85 lbs. with a SINGLETON, and have MAJOR saggy belly.....

Maybe the twins could be the "last hurrah" for my baby-bearing days...lol

Anyways, kudos to ALL you mommies, I'm sure you all have been through a lot for your little bundles!

Mom to two amazing boys, C (July 2005) and D (May 2010)

Founder/leader of a Babywearing group, and loving it!

#22 of 24 Old 01-19-2007, 01:32 AM

I gained about 65 pounds with my babes and they were born just over 38 weeks. I lost about 40 pounds right away the next 15 more slowly, but the last 10 have hung on and on (and I breastfed thru the first year).
Good luck!
#23 of 24 Old 01-19-2007, 02:45 PM

I only gained 36 lbs with my twins. I'm a vegetarian too. I really just never had an appetite and I was always forcing myself to eat. It was really, really hard (I'd literally cry stuffing food in my mouth trying to get the recommended amt of protein in). They were born at 37 weeks & 4 days and weighed 6 lbs 14 oz & 7 lbs 13 oz, so pretty darn big considering the weight I gained and the weeks I was at. I lost all the pregnancy weight by 9 days pp and now at almost 10 months pp I'm down an additional 18 lbs (w/o trying - it's from nursing both, stress, and having a hard time finding time for ME to eat).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#24 of 24 Old 01-19-2007, 03:07 PM

I gained 42 pounds and delivered at 37 weeks -- babes were 5.7 and 6.2. I had gained 25 with my son (and he was 8.6).

I threw up every night from week 6 to about week 26, and eating was a struggle throughout (bad all day sickness-throwing up at the beginning, and no room to eat at the end), so I tried to make every bite count, as some book says. Not easy, but worth it to eat as much good, densely calorie-packed foods as you can.

Edited to add -- I think I had lost about 30 pounds when I brought the girls home that first week, and now am below my prepreg weight by a couple pounds (still nursing). THere have been moments, before they started solids, that I was at my high-school weight (about 10 pounds below prepreg weight)! Hadn't seen the scale dip that low in more than 15 years!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page