Missed twin at 16 wk u/s???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-26-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, this did not happen with my set so it's really hard for me to believe. My boys are now 2 and they were easily seen at my 1st u/s at 14 wks, then another at 16 wks and then another at 24 wks. (I was bleeding heavily so had on going checks until the bleeding stopped). But another twin mom I met the other day said she had her 1st u/s at 16 wks to confirm her due date and the tech saw 1 baby. All looked good and she was given an estimated due date based on the baby's size and weight. At 28 wks another u/s was given since she began to measure noticeably ahead...which is when Baby B was discovered.

I'm highly aware that this is not the norm and really uncommon. But now after having met someone this actually happened to I thought it'd be interesting to see if anyone else had ever experienced it. So, were any of your twins missed that late in the game???!!! I know after having seen so many u/s's with my two that they couldn't have been missed! LOL!

I'm now 18 wks pregnant with my 7th, the 2nd single after twins......and we know there's just 1! LOL!

Blessed wife of a firefighter/paramedic and mom to 10...including 2 sets of very surprise twins!....with a sweet tiny boy welcomed into heaven at 14 wks gestation in 9/09
#2 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 12:36 AM

I cant believe the tech missed a BABY inside a mother's stomach at 16 weeks!!! Says alot about this tech's competency!! I wasnt even 7 wks preggo when I found out I was having twins
#3 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 03:40 AM

Wow! I guess if you are only looking for one then once you see one you'll just do your measurements then stop? Seems a little off to me. I found out at 6W4D that I was carrying twins, but my tech was looking for them since we did fertility treatments.

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

#4 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 12:29 PM

I'm just over 16 weeks now and we find it hard to MISS that there are two in there. Even when we are looking at one of the babies...there is the other babies foot or hand floating into view!
#5 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 04:16 PM

ive heard this before...i know one of the sextuplet mamas was told iot was quints the entire way until tyhe csection...they took out 5 and there was still one left! :giggle: i guess i can see that with all the little parts everywhere but i found it really funny!!
#6 of 14 Old 01-27-2007, 04:19 PM

I can see missing one if there were 6 in there, but its kinda hard to miss a twin, IME. Maybe the second one was tucked waaaaay in the back???
#7 of 14 Old 01-28-2007, 06:41 PM

I had this happen with my first set of twins!!! I had an u/s done at 17 weeks because the AFP test kept coming back high and I was measuring large so I had an u/s and the tech found "one" baby - the tech never did "look" around just stayed on one side - however after a repeat AFP test it came back high again so we were sent to a larger facility where we were told it was probably a birth defect, etc. and the minute the doppler was on my abdomen TWO heads immediately popped up! I was at 19 weeks!!! Needless to say it was a very long two weeks thinking there was something drastically wrong!!

With my second set - we went for a routine at 11 weeks and they found both right away.
#8 of 14 Old 01-28-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

I had this happen with my first set of twins!!! I had an u/s done at 17 weeks because the AFP test kept coming back high and I was measuring large so I had an u/s and the tech found "one" baby - the tech never did "look" around just stayed on one side - however after a repeat AFP test it came back high again so we were sent to a larger facility where we were told it was probably a birth defect, etc. and the minute the doppler was on my abdomen TWO heads immediately popped up! I was at 19 weeks!!! Needless to say it was a very long two weeks thinking there was something drastically wrong!!

I guess it really does happen!! LOL! I can see the sextuplet thing being missed pretty easily but I think you've just confirmed to my unbelieving mind that it can be done with twins too!! I still know there's just 1 this time around for us! LOL! No symptoms and our tech did look for another knowing we already had a set. That's pretty cool you have 2 sets.

Blessed wife of a firefighter/paramedic and mom to 10...including 2 sets of very surprise twins!....with a sweet tiny boy welcomed into heaven at 14 wks gestation in 9/09
#9 of 14 Old 01-29-2007, 06:28 PM

I have heard of it happening, but don't know anyone it happened to. I had an u/s at 14 weeks to confirm twins and the second they put the thing on there you could see 2 babies very clearly stacked right on top of eachother. I guess if one was behind the other one it could be hard to see.
#10 of 14 Old 01-29-2007, 08:35 PM

It happens. One baby can be "hidden" behind the other baby in such a way that even competent us techs miss it. Seen it happen in practice twice, only the missing twin wasn't discovered until delivery. Whoopsie.
#11 of 14 Old 01-29-2007, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

It happens. One baby can be "hidden" behind the other baby in such a way that even competent us techs miss it. Seen it happen in practice twice, only the missing twin wasn't discovered until delivery. Whoopsie.

That's actually really pretty cool. I think it'd be fun to get the surprise of a lifetime like that!

#12 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 01:57 PM

I am pregnant with triplets, but the first couple u/s missed the third baby. When we did see it, we almost didn't. Nobody was looking for a third baby, so when two babies showed up right on top of each other, we all smiled and said - great. Then, somebody moved, a baby, the tech, me - who knows -and the tech saw something. She followed up and sure enough, she found the third baby. Talk about a shock.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#13 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergrace View Post
Talk about a shock.
I asked SEVERAL times during my pregnancy to check that there were "only" two in there. I *cannot* imagine what I would have felt if one day they said "oh, no -- we were wrong. There are three..."

Good luck to you, mama! How is your pregnancy going?

#14 of 14 Old 02-09-2007, 02:39 PM

It was pretty obvious at my first u/s that there was two (9w). But at my next u/s (13w) if he hadn't known to look for two, he would have missed the second. One baby was hiding behind the other. It took him several minutes to find the second. It almost caused me to panic thinking one had 'vanished'. He did find it though and both had strong heartbeats So, I can see one getting missed depending on positioning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page