10 month old twins not crawling yet-Should I be worried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ten month old twins have been crawling backwards for over a month, but not forward yet. We have two friends whose babies were born on the same day (April 1st) and they were crawling and standing up on things at 6 months. My twins were 4 weeks early so I know they should be a 9 month old level. Should I be worried? Can't most 9 month old singletons crawl? If they are so far behind crawling, will they be that far behind walking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 07:34 PM

No, don't be worried!!! My son didn't crawl until 11 months, then walk until 17 1/2 months and he's athletic, bright, healthy, etc.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:35 PM

My ds never crawled. Started walking at 11 mos. That being said, crawling is crawling. Whether it be backwards or forwards. Your babes are fine, they just like to go backwards instead. All babies are different. Some babies even crawl sideways, or leap(like a frog). All are normal. Now if your babies start to walk backwards, you may want to start worrying (JK).
Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 PM

My first son (singleton) didn't crawl on his knees until he was 11 months and didn't walk til he was almost 16 months. I wouldn't worry!

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 02-05-2007, 10:57 PM

Actually, crawling isn't even a milestone. Physical therapists don't even assess it because kids can skip it altogether and it doesn't matter. When my son was in physical therapy the therapist was concerned with him getting on his hands and knees I think because that is often a first step to pulling to standing (which is a milestone they look for). So your twins can get on their hands and knees so that is great! The backwards doesn't matter at all (and again even if no crawling was happening it wouldn't matter). The big first milestones are rolling both ways (by 6 months adjusted age) and sitting around the same time.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 02-07-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Actually, crawling isn't even a milestone. Physical therapists don't even assess it because kids can skip it altogether and it doesn't matter.
This isn't accurate. My oldest dd has motor skill delays and never crawled in the traditional sense (she did what we termed "head spinning" to get around) & I've since learned that crawling (the hands & knees variety in particular) is *very* important neurologically. There's a book about this - wish I could remember the title. Anyway, not to stress the OP - I think it's great that your twins are crawling in any form and eventually they'll probably do the "normal" crawl. Mine are 10 months as well and one is doing an army crawl, only he just uses one of his arms to pull himself along (he's been doing this for a couple of months now) and the other only just began to sort of crawl (it looks more like swimming but I guess it's sort of an army crawl as well only w/o the elbow action). If you *are* worried about motor skill issues, make sure they're getting sufficient omega-3 fatty acids in their diet (via you if they're nursing). These help the myelin coating form on the nerves in the brain which transmit the neurological data used in gross motor skills such as these.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.

User Tag List