"Natural" or not? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Were your twins conceived naturally or with assistance?
Au Natural 66 81.48%
Little bit o' help 15 18.52%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

1  2
Parenting Multiples > "Natural" or not?
redwolf2's Avatar redwolf2 04:19 PM 02-28-2007
We were using "protection" when we concieved our twin boys.

cdahlgrd's Avatar cdahlgrd 01:18 PM 03-01-2007
Well, I had a hard time with this question. I have PCOS and was taking the insuline resistance drug (when I think of the name, I will edit), and herbs to normalize my hormones and perhaps ovulate. But none of it was to induce ovulation specifically. However, I did!!

My boys are mz, but I think I lost a triplet at 14 weeks (hence the ultrasound and confimation).

I hate the "natural" question too. I responded to a particularly nasty woman, "Yes, and were born after your parents had sex too?"
f&p'smama's Avatar f&p'smama 07:59 PM 03-01-2007
IVF here. Our second attempt. The whole infertility process was so horrendously painful.

Anyway . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson's mama View Post
I answered your poll (IVF), but for the record I want to say that I HATE this question. Especially when phrased with the word "natural". I've been asked by total strangers if my twins are natural, and it's like implying that there's something unnatural about twins conceived with the help of fertility meds. I think the term "spontaneous" is closer to what you're actually looking for.

I'm not trying to be snarky or mean, this question just really strikes a nerve with me. I admit to being curious about it myself and wanting to ask other twin moms (but I never would)... and the only way I actually answer it is usually when posed by another twin mom. Usually I avoid giving an answer and just make the person feel uncomfortable for asking such a personal question.
I agree with this, too, although I don't get asked all that often about how my twins were conceived. I prefer the term spontaneously conceived.

While we're asking personal questions, Elisabethmelner, did you homebirth your triplets?
mimid's Avatar mimid 12:43 AM 03-02-2007
IUI with injectible drugs. First try! After 6 rounds of clomid and no luck.

I don't mind answering this question to certain people, like those dealing with IF, but I hate it when other people say stuff.
mandieolivia's Avatar mandieolivia 01:12 AM 03-02-2007
totally spontaneous. i am one of those "it doesn't run anywhere in the family" types...until now, i guess.
mama_at_home's Avatar mama_at_home 10:49 PM 03-13-2007
My twins were spontaneous/natural-whatever you want to call it. Surprisingly I haven't really been asked this question that I can recall-maybe because we already had a son when they were born?
OhMeOhMy's Avatar OhMeOhMy 11:56 PM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemelos View Post
My twins were spontaneous/natural-whatever you want to call it. Surprisingly I haven't really been asked this question that I can recall-maybe because we already had a son when they were born?
We already had 5 and still get asked!
kirk_heidi's Avatar kirk_heidi 12:12 AM 03-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatermom View Post
Sorry to be lurking here when I don't have multiples, but my brother and SIL are due with triplets and have been getting this question a lot. Theirs were conceived on clomid and neither they, nor their doctors, nor I have ever heard of anyone getting triplets from clomid (twins, yes, but not higher multiples). Just curious if anyone knows anyone with triplets conceived in this way? Sorry if OT!
I know of a few. I also know a mom who go pg with quintuplets from it.

As for the twin question, we were spontabeously surprised at 20 weeks that our planned baby was actually 2. I told dh the day I was ovulating that if he wanted me to get pg it was the day to dtd and so we did and we must have done it really well cuz we got 2 for 1!
appleseed's Avatar appleseed 01:35 AM 03-14-2007
Spontaneous, but concieved three weeks after a miscarriage, which I think is the culprit (my babes are fraternal, so I o'ed twice, I think due to wonky post-m/c hormones.) I get asked this CONSTANTLY, it's so weird that people think that's a normal question to ask someone, LOL!
elisabethmelner's Avatar elisabethmelner 02:03 AM 03-14-2007
While we're asking personal questions, Elisabethmelner, did you homebirth your triplets?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I couldn't find enough midwives to attend me for a home birth and ended up with a hospital birth. When my water broke, Maya was in 1st position and her foot was coming out of my cervex (between her other two sisters' heads). One of the stipulations for me to attempt a vaginal delivery w/ the trips was that 1st postion trip had to be head down. So.....c-section it was. I'm still trying to come to terms with how they were born. My husband thinks I'm being silly and that I should be thankful they were healthy and no NICU, but I can't help but feel sad. The homebirths of my first two sons were incredibly amazing, so I feel that the girls got cheated.
tatermom's Avatar tatermom 03:04 PM 03-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk_heidi View Post
I know of a few. I also know a mom who go pg with quintuplets from it.
[still lurking] WOW!! I'll definitely be sharing that with my brother and SIL! I can't even imagine being pregnant with quintuplets!
f&p'smama's Avatar f&p'smama 07:26 PM 03-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabethmelner View Post
While we're asking personal questions, Elisabethmelner, did you homebirth your triplets?
Nope, I couldn't find enough midwives to attend me for a home birth and ended up with a hospital birth. When my water broke, Maya was in 1st position and her foot was coming out of my cervex (between her other two sisters' heads). One of the stipulations for me to attempt a vaginal delivery w/ the trips was that 1st postion trip had to be head down. So.....c-section it was. I'm still trying to come to terms with how they were born. My husband thinks I'm being silly and that I should be thankful they were healthy and no NICU, but I can't help but feel sad. The homebirths of my first two sons were incredibly amazing, so I feel that the girls got cheated.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had a C-section, too. I was told that midwives will not attend a homebirth in California, so I didn't really look into it. I don't know if it's true. Twin A was transverse, so they were cut out of me. I hated the process, but don't have anything to compare it with. I can imagine I'd feel that much more upset, too, if I'd had amazing homebirths prior. But I agree with your DH -- no NICU time for triplets -- YOU ROCK!
Kathryn's Avatar Kathryn 09:48 PM 03-14-2007
Right now, life is so so hard. Before Lily got sick, it wasn't that bad, actually. It was a lot of fun, even though it was a bit insane sometimes. Now, Lily is crying constantly if she's awake. The boys are teething and trying to crawl. Dd1 is having trouble with not enough attention and is developing OCD tendancies (sp?). Everyone is screaming and crying all the time.
LoisLane's Avatar LoisLane 10:51 PM 03-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Right now, life is so so hard. Before Lily got sick, it wasn't that bad, actually. It was a lot of fun, even though it was a bit insane sometimes. Now, Lily is crying constantly if she's awake. The boys are teething and trying to crawl. Dd1 is having trouble with not enough attention and is developing OCD tendancies (sp?). Everyone is screaming and crying all the time.

Oh Kathryn, the world must feel like it's falling down on you right now. I wish I could do more than send you every good wish in the world for all that you all need now. You are in our thoughts and hearts.
OhMeOhMy's Avatar OhMeOhMy 10:54 PM 03-14-2007
Quote:
To derail my own thread . . . .

Kathryn I think of you and Lily and your family everyday. I bawled like a baby when you first said Lily was going to go home. Seriously, DH thought I had lost it (unil I explained WHY I was crying). I wrote you an email when Lily first became sick (as I am sure everyone did!) saying I was sending good vibes . . . .and I still think of you all every day and send more. You are one seriously strong, loving, wonderful mama. :
Zadee's Avatar Zadee 11:09 PM 03-14-2007
Kathryn --
mamaloveseee's Avatar mamaloveseee 11:35 PM 03-14-2007
As my family says, it was my generation's turn to have twins. My mother's side has 4 sets of girls and my father's has 2 sets of boys. I had a boy and a girl. When I got pregnant with our third child, it would have been nice to have another set of twins, but it is also nice to enjoy them one at a time as well. I found out my very first doctor's appointment and it was a shock, but a double blessing!

Melissa
twinmomplusone's Avatar twinmomplusone 12:42 AM 03-15-2007
My twins were conceived naturally. My husband and I tried for one more and got two...
Kathryn's Avatar Kathryn 01:35 AM 03-15-2007
I'm so tired I posted that to the wrong dang thread.
heyitstwins's Avatar heyitstwins 02:29 AM 03-15-2007
Natural b/g twins. Fraternal twins run on my father's side of the family and very heavily(???). I have a first cousin with double sets of fraternal twins, my grandmother was a twin and her last set of children were twins. : EEk!

I don't know why I was so surprised when I saw two little fetuses that couldn't stay still on the first ultrasound I had. I burst into tears of joy and I am so in love with them even though they won't be here for another 15 weeks.
OhMeOhMy's Avatar OhMeOhMy 11:26 AM 03-15-2007
Quote:
I'm so tired I posted that to the wrong dang thread.
Understandable!
fyrebloom's Avatar fyrebloom 07:26 PM 03-15-2007
"Natural" twins for us. I'm expecting monochoriatic identicals. I was actually pretty shocked to find out they were identical. I always thought i'd have twins because my dad is a fraternal twin, but Identical? I also conceived while breastfeeding, but that shouldn't have had any effect on the twinning.
LoisLane's Avatar LoisLane 07:46 PM 03-15-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebloom View Post
"Natural" twins for us. I'm expecting monochoriatic identicals. I was actually pretty shocked to find out they were identical. I always thought i'd have twins because my dad is a fraternal twin, but Identical? I also conceived while breastfeeding, but that shouldn't have had any effect on the twinning.
Congratulations on your twins! Actually, a researcher (Gary Steinman) has recently shown that conceiving while breastfeeding does increase odds of twinning. Here is an article about him:

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/520671/

Highlights include:

Dr. Steinman found that women who become pregnant while breastfeeding are nine times more likely to conceive twins than women who are not breastfeeding at the time of conception. He also confirmed findings by others that identical twin sets are more often female than male, especially in conjoined twin sets, and that monozygotic twin sets are more likely to miscarry than dizygotic sets. Dr. Steinman also found evidence through fingerprint analysis that as the number of fetuses in a monozygotic set increases, so does the level of physical diversity among them. In his most recent study of the mechanisms of twinning prior to the new study, Dr. Steinman confirmed that use of in vitro fertilization (IVF) methods increases the incidence of monozygotic twinning -- where the transfer and/or implantation of two embryos results in three infants -- and he proposed that adding more calcium or reducing the chelating agent ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid (EDTA) in the IVF incubation media might decrease the unwanted complication.

Sorry for the tangent... just found it all interesting
1  2

Up