"Natural" or not? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Were your twins conceived naturally or with assistance?
Au Natural 66 81.48%
Little bit o' help 15 18.52%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 02-26-2007, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just replying to another thread about wanting more kids and spacing when it struck me that I have never once asked about the other sets of twins here. I had my twins via IVF. Of all my children, the were the only ones I needed IVF for and lo and behold, twins! I know the chances of multiples is increased greatly due to some of the drugs and the fact that they usually put multiple embryos, but it almost sounds like I am the only one here sometimes who has conceived twins this way. Anyone else? Just curious.

I will put up a poll in case people don't want to share publicly that they had IVF. It's private.
#2 of 53 Old 02-26-2007, 01:10 PM

We had IVF.

Mostly sane mother to twins.
#3 of 53 Old 02-26-2007, 01:50 PM

i was on the pill when mine were coceived I just knew something was not right went into my doc for some blood work and they called me back with a + pregency test.Shock of all shocks we thought it was just one till 20 weeks at the ultrasound and found two babies it was a bit scary at first but then lots of love. It was funny because when people called to find out what we were having when they would guess boy i would say yes and they were like what do you mean and I would say a boy and a ...boy yep we are having twins. They do run in the family but I am the only one so far to have them I still have one cousin too young to be a mommy yet she is 10 and one sister who could still have a set, but I honestly don't think my sister could handle having two at once
#4 of 53 Old 02-26-2007, 06:22 PM

We hadn't been on the pill since my daughter was born. (She is almost 5). I have only one ovary and alot of scarring on my remaining tube and uterus. We weren't supposed to be able to have anymore. I was shocked when I found out I was pregnant. I nearly fainted in the doc's office when he said twins. But it was au natural here. We surely didn't try for this. But I guess they were meant to be. Just like all the babes here no matter how they came about
#5 of 53 Old 02-26-2007, 06:23 PM

My twins are from a frozen embryo transfer. I had a few embryo's split before they were frozen and there was a chance that one of the twins was an identical twin to their older brother. The dna tests came back as no but they had were only off on a few markers.
#6 of 53 Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 PM

I answered your poll (IVF), but for the record I want to say that I HATE this question. Especially when phrased with the word "natural". I've been asked by total strangers if my twins are natural, and it's like implying that there's something unnatural about twins conceived with the help of fertility meds. I think the term "spontaneous" is closer to what you're actually looking for.

I'm not trying to be snarky or mean, this question just really strikes a nerve with me. I admit to being curious about it myself and wanting to ask other twin moms (but I never would)... and the only way I actually answer it is usually when posed by another twin mom. Usually I avoid giving an answer and just make the person feel uncomfortable for asking such a personal question.
#7 of 53 Old 02-26-2007, 07:49 PM

My twins were spontanious which was actually bizarre. My 2yo DD was concieved via IVF and as a result, we didnt use any B/C. We transfered 3 embryos to get pregnant with her. My twins were spontanious when she was 10 months old. Talk about shock upon shock.....

Tassy
DS 5, DD 2, 4mo Twin girls

Tassy mom to DS(13), DD(8), and twin DDs (7)  homeschool.gif

#8 of 53 Old 02-26-2007, 08:21 PM

Mine were conceived on a month that I took Clomid. I actually took Clomid for all my successful pregnancies, but only this last time did I get twins from the deal.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#9 of 53 Old 02-26-2007, 09:19 PM

spontaneous....I do get asked by strangers too-crazy!

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#10 of 53 Old 02-26-2007, 10:54 PM

Identical girls, same amniotic sac w/o a dividing membrane... totally spontaneous. I was on the mini-pill prior to their conception, but stopped taking it a few weeks before we got pregnant. I was breastfeeding Rach when I conceived Meg and Mo.

Older daughter conceived spontaneously too, about 25 months prior to the birth of my twins.
#11 of 53 Old 02-26-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmom View Post
My twins are from a frozen embryo transfer. I had a few embryo's split before they were frozen and there was a chance that one of the twins was an identical twin to their older brother. The dna tests came back as no but they had were only off on a few markers.
not a twin mommy but wow, that would be crazy!
#12 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 12:19 AM

um, i think my husband looked at me that day
#13 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson's mama View Post
I answered your poll (IVF), but for the record I want to say that I HATE this question. Especially when phrased with the word "natural". I've been asked by total strangers if my twins are natural, and it's like implying that there's something unnatural about twins conceived with the help of fertility meds. I think the term "spontaneous" is closer to what you're actually looking for.

I'm not trying to be snarky or mean, this question just really strikes a nerve with me. I admit to being curious about it myself and wanting to ask other twin moms (but I never would)... and the only way I actually answer it is usually when posed by another twin mom. Usually I avoid giving an answer and just make the person feel uncomfortable for asking such a personal question.
It's interesting how one thing bothers one but not another.

I am not offended by the term natural or not, I am however offended when strangers walk up to me on the street and ask the question. I guess here I felt like this is a place where we, as MoMs, share everything else this would be an OK question to ask. And I assume people who don't want to share won't.
#14 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 12:38 AM

Spontaneous, here. Same with my sister's two sets. All spontaneous!

I was charting and knew (via mittelschmertz) that I switched ovaries every month: right, left, right, left. I could obviously never tell how many eggs the ovaries released each time, and seeing as how I forgot about that fact, I was certain that because I switched sides every month, I wouldn't have twins like my sister did.

And lo, what should happen on the first cycle of TTC? I ovulate (with very obvious mittelschmertz) from BOTH ovaries. Lovely. I knew they'd both be fertilized -- what 3-parent family wouldn't the universe bestow twins upon?

So yeah, it wasn't so much a gut feeling (intuitive) as a gut feeling (mittelschmertz + double implantation pains at 10DPO).

19 weeks and counting!
#15 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 01:40 AM

It just happened! Though I did ovulate much later than usual and my DS was bfing like crazy, which (according to one of my books) raises the chances a little bit. I'm super fertile. I get pregnant right after my first PP period every time. Thankfully that's 14-15mo PP!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#16 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 01:51 AM

Sorry to be lurking here when I don't have multiples, but my brother and SIL are due with triplets and have been getting this question a lot. Theirs were conceived on clomid and neither they, nor their doctors, nor I have ever heard of anyone getting triplets from clomid (twins, yes, but not higher multiples). Just curious if anyone knows anyone with triplets conceived in this way? Sorry if OT!

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

#17 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatermom View Post
Sorry to be lurking here when I don't have multiples, but my brother and SIL are due with triplets and have been getting this question a lot. Theirs were conceived on clomid and neither they, nor their doctors, nor I have ever heard of anyone getting triplets from clomid (twins, yes, but not higher multiples). Just curious if anyone knows anyone with triplets conceived in this way? Sorry if OT!
I've known of someone who did. I've read that there's about a 1% chance of conceiving triplets while taking Clomid.

#18 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:

Kinda have to agree with that. And it wouldn't bug me at all except for the fact that I get asked that all the time. And so many people just assume that my twins were conceived through AR (they weren't), especially my med-centered friends. It's a bit ironic because my husband and I tried AR, including IVF, for a very long time with no success. And then I started to think I was getting the flu...The "flu" will be 5 months old in a few days.
#19 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 02:55 AM

I get asked this all the time... When I got pregnant with my twins, I was 22yo, single, had just graduated from college, and was working as a waitress and nights at Kinkos. (And that's usually my response to the q, "Did you use in-vitro?" et al.) Had no idea, twins don't "run" in my fam, I just got ginormous and got an u/s and there they were, 2 little boys in one big placenta. :

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#20 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 03:12 AM

I was tandem nursing my 9 month old and 2 1/2 year old when I got pregnant. We were using the rhythm method, which we obviously still didn't have the hang of since this is how we conceived our first two sons. So, the pregnancy was a surprise. When I went in at 20 weeks for an ultrasound we were SHOCKED to find out that I was carrying triplets. : My girls are now 6 months old and we just found out a few weeks ago through a DNA cheek swab test that they are monozygotic (identical). According to a few studies, there is a 7 in 1 million chance of conceiving spontaneous identical triplets.

I get asked quite frequently if I was using fertility drugs even though from everything I've read identical multiples have nothing to do with fertility drugs, IVF or even heredity. There is really no explanation for identical mutiples; it just happens. It does get annoying at times when people ask but I figure that they are just as curious as I am. How and why did this happen??? With those odds, I should've have been playing the lottery. How else will I be able to feed all of these mouths when they are teenagers.....
#21 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 03:42 AM

I don't mind the "spontaneous v. help" question, unless it is phrased negatively.

Yes, we had a little help to conceive. (Clomid and a trigger shot) I know another twin mom IRL and she did IVF.

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

#22 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 03:55 AM

Whenever our various doctors and nurses and techs during the pregnancy asked us "spontaneous twins?" I always wanted to reply "No, we were actually planning for this." Or maybe, "No, they are actually very boring and predictable." Never actually said it, though. But, yes they were "spontaneous".
#23 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 11:30 AM

My friend Beth had IVF with 3 eggs -- and then one of them split into MZ twins. So she has quads and 3/4 were "assisted" but 1/4 were spontaneous!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#24 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 AM

Beth - how exciting about your trips! You *should* definitley start playing the lottery!

#25 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Got a little boost on the Clomid. Doc said 7% chance of twins, 1.5% chance of Triplets. I never win, so we went for it.

I won the lottery

Waldorf mama to 5yo b/g twins
#26 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I do feel a bit resentful of the "natural" or not question irl, but not on a board like this where folks seem to let it all hang out. I also know that it is my own issue as far as feeling inferior/substandard/inadequate/whatever because we did get help. My singletons were clomid/iui babies and the twins are ivf.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#27 of 53 Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 PM

I always say spontaneous when people ask me if they were "natural." It just feels better that way.

We were TTC for a little less than a year, and I had really long cycles. Had started seeing an RE and we were going to give it one more cycle and then she wanted to proceed to Clomid+IUI. I was petrified of taking Clomid and increasing my chances of having twins. I was so relieved when I got pregnant on my own that cycle!

The RE (who had a terrible bedside manner) did an u/s at 5w4d to confirm the pregnancy, and I distinctly remember saying "oh thank goodness it's in the uterus (not ectopic) and it's only one!" (because I guess I had twins on the brain from the Clomid.) She didn't see a heartbeat that early so she had me come back at 7w4d. She looked and asked if I had any uterine abnormalities. I said ummm, nooooo...and she said well, there's another sac...but don't get all excited it might be nothing...

It wasn't nothing.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#28 of 53 Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 AM

I think it's a stupid question to ask perfect strangers in the supermarket, but it doesn't seem out of place here. It just seems like us sharing with each other as usual. But we weren't using ART when our twins were concieved so I don't know how I would feel if we had.

When someone asks me if my twins are "natural" I just ask them cheerfully to explain what "unnatural" twins are .

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#29 of 53 Old 02-28-2007, 12:26 AM

I apologize if I implied that this was an innapropriate place for the question, that's not what I meant to put across (I was curious about the results of the poll too). I was just using the opportunity to vent a little about the phrasing and the rudeness of strangers who feel entitled to this information. No hard feelings towards the OP at all .
#30 of 53 Old 02-28-2007, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I apologize if I implied that this was an innapropriate place for the question, that's not what I meant to put across (I was curious about the results of the poll too). I was just using the opportunity to vent a little about the phrasing and the rudeness of strangers who feel entitled to this information. No hard feelings towards the OP at all .
No worries, I never took offense.

I (like many here) would NEVER ask someone who I did not know IRL this question. But amongst us, here on this board, I figured we could talk about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page