Kettler Tandem Tricycle Anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-27-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm in the fact gathering stage while considering purchasing the Kettler tricycle or tricycles for my triplets. They are 2 and are obsessed with older DS bigger hot wheels and bikes - I know they could totally peddle (and love it!) if their legs could reach.

So - - I am thinking about the Kettler Happy Navigator. I see that you can add add'l "tandem" seats - so I could add 2 to accomodate all my trio on one trike.

My question is this? Have any of you guys had a trike with a tandem and did the kids like it? I am worried the non-peddling tandem seats will not be popular and everyone will fight over peddling? But maybe not? Also - for those who have tried the tandem - could the peddler actually peddle with 2 kids on the bike or was it too heavy? Do you think that a peddler could peddle with all 3 on the bike?

Thanks in advance.

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#2 of 14 Old 02-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never heard of these. Link please?
#3 of 14 Old 02-27-2007, 06:45 PM

Hmmmm, found them, but no mention of adding additional seats.
#4 of 14 Old 02-27-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

http://happyhentoys.com/a_Kettler/Tr...y_Nav_wpb.html

This is the one I am thinking about getting because it is the cheapest model that has 1) seat adjustments for short legs, and 2) the newer features allowing for free wheeling, etc.

Scroll down on rh side to see that tandem option.

#5 of 14 Old 02-27-2007, 06:55 PM

Oh that is so cool!! I had never seen that before, but I am going to keep it in mind for when the twins get older.
#6 of 14 Old 02-27-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMeOhMy View Post
Oh that is so cool!! I had never seen that before, but I am going to keep it in mind for when the twins get older.
I know. Hopefully someone on this sight has some firsthand experience and can give a recommend one way or the other.

#7 of 14 Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 PM

Okay I have bought this for my twins. I haven't put it together yet but my boys all fight over the one my oldest has. I'll let you know.
#8 of 14 Old 02-27-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmom View Post
Okay I have bought this for my twins. I haven't put it together yet but my boys all fight over the one my oldest has. I'll let you know.
Yeah - in particular, wanting to know how they like that whole tandem thing?

#9 of 14 Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripMom View Post
Yeah - in particular, wanting to know how they like that whole tandem thing?
Just so you know, we just got another 4 inches of snow so it may be a few more days before I get it up and ready to try out.

With my firstborn we used it as a stroller as he loved it so much.
#10 of 14 Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 PM

Oh wow! That looks so cool. I have to keep that in mind when they are older.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#11 of 14 Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 PM

We have one!

My twins LOVE(D) it (they are four now, so mostly they ride their big kid bikes with training wheels instead).

I got the stroller-push handle to go with it, and was not thrilled with that part. It was pretty hard to push. I got it for their second birthday, and used it has a stroller a lot. They were much happier to ride on that than in the regular stroller.

The kid in front gets to steer and peddle, but the kid in back gets to do the brake, so both seats have their bonuses. My guys never fought about it. One of them was much better at steering, so I usually requested that he sit in front!

The same good-steerer is a much better peddler still, so when they do ride the tandem trike, he pretty much always "drives," and his twin brother LOVES getting a free ride in back.

It definitely didn't live up to all of my fantasies (i.e that it would be a great stroller), but the kids were thrilled with it, and still enjoy it even at age four.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#12 of 14 Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
We have one!

My twins LOVE(D) it (they are four now, so mostly they ride their big kid bikes with training wheels instead).

I got the stroller-push handle to go with it, and was not thrilled with that part. It was pretty hard to push. I got it for their second birthday, and used it has a stroller a lot. They were much happier to ride on that than in the regular stroller.

The kid in front gets to steer and peddle, but the kid in back gets to do the brake, so both seats have their bonuses. My guys never fought about it. One of them was much better at steering, so I usually requested that he sit in front!

The same good-steerer is a much better peddler still, so when they do ride the tandem trike, he pretty much always "drives," and his twin brother LOVES getting a free ride in back.

It definitely didn't live up to all of my fantasies (i.e that it would be a great stroller), but the kids were thrilled with it, and still enjoy it even at age four.

HTH!

Lex
Thanks for the info. A couple of follow-up questions . . .Do you think adding 2 tandems - so all 3 of my triplets could ride - would be too heavy for the peddler? Also - do you think buying more than 1 would be a waste of $$ - in other words, no major problems with the twins wanting their "own" bike?

#13 of 14 Old 02-28-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripMom View Post
Thanks for the info. A couple of follow-up questions . . .Do you think adding 2 tandems - so all 3 of my triplets could ride - would be too heavy for the peddler? Also - do you think buying more than 1 would be a waste of $$ - in other words, no major problems with the twins wanting their "own" bike?
They definitely want their own bikes now, at four. Sometimes they want to ride the tandem, and sometimes they want to ride their separate bikes. I think adding an extra seat would still be manageable for the peddler, so long as they weren't riding uphill at all. Even with the tandem, Jaz has trouble going uphill with Luke riding in back. But on flat surfaces, it should be fine. It is very stable with two seats, so I imagine that it would still be just as stable with 3, but obviously I haven't tried it that way!

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#14 of 14 Old 03-02-2007, 05:01 PM

My boys want their own bikes. THey hate riding on a bike together or one pushing while the other rides. We don't have these, but we have other ride on toys.

We are looking at trikes for their birthday and these seem sturdy, yet light enough to peddle easily.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page