When did you start having periods again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-25-2003, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is a personal question but I was just curious and none of my literature says anything about it! At what point did you start having periods when nursing your twins? Mine will be 2 in August and I still have not had anything. Amber and Jade nurse alot so I am sure that is a huge factor but I am just wondering how much longer I get to have this luxury?
Angie:
#2 of 12 Old 05-25-2003, 11:11 PM

I got mine back one month before their 2nd birthday. At that point I was only letting them nurse when it was time to sleep and then through the night when they wanted to. Then once I got mine back it was whacko for awhile. Shorter or longer cycles, heavy and then very light.... cramps or no cramps. Things seem to be getting back to my normal about now which is a year and 1/2 later.

ENJOY!!
LoriAnn
#3 of 12 Old 05-26-2003, 12:01 PM

Location: Hot and Humid, Home of the Field Artilery, Ft. Sill, Oklahoma
I still haven't had one yet and my b/b twins are 14 months old and nursing about 5 to 6 times a day. It sure is nice to not have to deal with "aunt flow" yet!

Tawnya
#4 of 12 Old 05-26-2003, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

I am so glad not to have to deal with this yet! When I nursed my singleton children around 11 months I would start spotting but would never have regular periods until I stopped nursing. I wonder why this topic is not studied and covered more? Probably not enough of us around to ask?
Angie
#5 of 12 Old 05-27-2003, 01:52 AM

i think mine came back when my boys were about 20 months...they were down to nursing once a day at that point. it stuck around for a few months and then we were pregnant again! looks like it will be another few years before i see AF again
#6 of 12 Old 05-27-2003, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Oh man Punky you are going through my biggest fear right now! I had my husband have the big "V" before the twins were due because we had a 75% chance of having b/g twins again. I just have nightmares all the time that the "V" didn't work and I am pregnant again. Don't get me wrong I love my kids but boy did this change my life! One good thing is having them again you know what you are doing and also know what not to do this time around. Good luck and hope all goes well for you and your family! It really is a cool thing to have two sets though! I admire you for being such a strong women to do it!
Angie
#7 of 12 Old 05-27-2003, 02:29 PM

The average that an EBF'ing Mommy (which is technically defined as nursing beyond 1-year) will get AF back is 14.5-months but that number can vary greatly. It can be as early as a couple of months to as long as 3-years. Some women have to wean completely before seeing AF again. I didn't get it back with my first dd until she was 16-months old. Usually you'll see it come back when you have more then 4 hours between nursings during the day and 6 hours at night. The night nursing is the biggest factor since our bodies produce more oxytocin at night then during the day.

There is a lot of info out there about it but it's usually found under bf'ing and fertility. Go to La Leche League's site...they have info there on it as well as Dr. Sears' site.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)
#8 of 12 Old 05-27-2003, 02:30 PM

I got first period when dd and ds were 10 months old - it was really weird too. It lasted a total of 1.5 weeks (!), mostly mildly to moderately heavy, but with a couple of days that were just spotting. Haven't had another one since.

I don't nurse too often anymore - around 2-3 times per baby per day, so I would have expected regular cycles to return by now?? Who knows.

Not that I'm complaining mind you!!!
#9 of 12 Old 05-27-2003, 08:18 PM

YOU GUYS ARE SO LUCKY! I got mine back at 6 months pp-even though we were exclusively nursing, and they nursed every 2 hrs, even at night! They (the periods)weren't real regular-every 30-35 days or so. But they were there!!!!!
#10 of 12 Old 05-28-2003, 09:46 PM

Same for me latinmom. I just got mine back and mine are 6 months old and they nurse often and throughout the night. I have yet to see how regular they will be but I got mine back and was regular after 4 month with my oldest son.
#11 of 12 Old 06-12-2003, 04:53 PM

got mine back at 15 mos. we're still nursing at night. my periods are fairly regular.

wow, punky congratulations!!!
#12 of 12 Old 06-12-2003, 05:58 PM

I just saw that you said in your post that you are pregnant again...with TWINS!!!!!!!!!!! How exciting!!!

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page