best sling, stroller for twins--any recommendations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 02-28-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do any of you who've BTDT have advice about the best sling(s) and stroller for twins?

We've been looking and researching, but just aren't sure we can tell what would work until we try.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
xo
#2 of 32 Old 02-28-2007, 06:51 PM

I usually am pretty ho-hum about baby gear, but the one thing that makes me happy every time I use it (which is every day) is my Mountain Buggy Urban Double stroller. We got it when the girls were a year (before that we had something like the Duo Glider with one in front of the other and carseats could click in -- it was fine but not shout-from-the-rooftops-wonderful, which is how I feel about the MBUD.)

It's width has only kept me out of one store in the last almost-year -- basically, it can go anywhere a wheelchair can. It's good for malls and also for trails and light jogging (with my singleton, it felt like we had a stroller for every occasion and liked none of them). It manuevers like a dream -- I have on many occasions had a babe in a wrap, my 4 yr old and another babe in the stroller and held a coffee in one hand while steering with the other. I buy most things used/consignment/handmedowns and don't like shelling out a lot of money for gear -- but this has been worth every penny.
#3 of 32 Old 02-28-2007, 07:32 PM

We love our Valco stroller. I started a thread here that has some good advice too.

As far as slings. I have a love hate relationship with them. I loved them with my singletons, not so much with the twins. I find it harder as someone ALWAYS needs to nurse and it makes it a pain in the butt; on, off, on, off, on, off. *sigh* I have a mai tei which I like in theory, but same problem as above. In general ring slings are the easiest (quick on and off) and allow for two to be worn at once. I hate to admit it, but I prefer the stroller for them. I will say that if we are out and about I do have the sling and will do short stints in it (movement keeps them content longer).
#4 of 32 Old 03-01-2007, 01:33 AM

I'm with the previous poster I like my Valco. I use it in a trimode though since I have a singleton too. They just replaced my stroller because I had problems with the back wheels for free, its funny because they replaced my 2005 stroller with a 2007 model.
#5 of 32 Old 03-01-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmom View Post
I'm with the previous poster I like my Valco. I use it in a trimode though since I have a singleton too. They just replaced my stroller because I had problems with the back wheels for free, its funny because they replaced my 2005 stroller with a 2007 model.
Us too! My 4 yo DD LOVES her little "Queenly" spot.
#6 of 32 Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 AM

Slings: I started off with a Moby wrap, my intention was to double wear them in it. And I did for about a month but really they were almost too big for that position from birth. I also had two slingsets one for me and one for DH. And in theory so I could wear both slingsets on either side but again they were too big for that in a laying down position. I found what worked best for me when I was by myself was an ergo on my back and a baby on the front in a slingset. I put the slingset on first with no baby in it. Put a boy on my back and clip the sternum clip under the sling and pull the sling up over the ergo on my shoulder. The ergo was so much easier for me to put a little infant, about 3 months on my back by myself. I tried using my Kozy but it was too hard to do with someone that little.

I have the MBUD, which I enjoy and I have never struggled with another stroller to compare. It does move like a dream and fit through most doors. Its heavy doesnt have a clip to lock it while moving it in to my trunk which it takes all of the space up in. And it is a $650 stroller and they couldn't put a cup holder on it for mom? Come on folks! But I do like it. I really prefer just wearing both boys to pop in and out of places though a stroller, any stroller is just cumbersome for me.
#7 of 32 Old 03-01-2007, 01:31 PM

The only piece of equipment we bought that was honestly worth the money was our Mountain Buggy Double Urban. We trashed a couple of strollers before I bought it (my twins were already 2 yo as I recall) and it is AWESOME. Okay, it's a bit heavy and the folding is cumbersome, but it is a workhorse (sidewalks, trails, even on beach sand) and you can push heavy toddlers in it and still steer one-handed. I wish I had it from the beginning.

Very early, we had the snap n go double (which is just for the bucket car seats) and that was actually good, b/c I had had a c-section and it's very light and I could get it in and out of the car easily, but they aren't that durable.
#8 of 32 Old 03-01-2007, 02:52 PM

As a nanny to countless sets of twins I've had lots of experience with a variety of strollers. In my opinion the Maclaren double is a waste of time and money, as are any of the back/front double strollers. It has small wheels, they turn and get stuck very easily, it's not light, trying to unclip it to open it is a pain in the butt... Basically what you want is something with large back wheels and swiveling front wheels. If you're really in for a monetary investment the Mountain Buggy can have carry cots so that your newborns can lie down. (or one big cot so they can lie down together) I really, really, really can't stress enough that you should buy the big stroller from the start and just use it up. If you buy something smaller and use it for a year (as lots of parents of twins do) and then buy the MB (or valco) you're really just not getting a year's use out of the expensive stroller. When you have twins the most important thing is being able to move them. The MB will get you in and out of most doors, it fully reclines for newborns if you don't go for the carrycot, it comes in a variety of colors... Oh, and side note, I'd go for the one big basket under the bottom instead of two separate ones, it gives you more choices.
I've been a nanny for ten years and the MB double is what I would choose for my own children.
As for slings... go to some sort of boutique that has a variety and try them out. Someone once said "it's like telling someone what kind of underwear to buy", you have to choose what feels good to you.

Good luck!!!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#9 of 32 Old 03-01-2007, 03:03 PM

I disagree with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by osker View Post
I really, really, really can't stress enough that you should buy the big stroller from the start and just use it up. If you buy something smaller and use it for a year (as lots of parents of twins do) and then buy the MB (or valco) you're really just not getting a year's use out of the expensive stroller.
I do. however, agree with this:
Quote:
When you have twins the most important thing is being able to move them.
I am completely anti bucket. I always left the little seats in the car. I had all singletons before having twins. When we had twins this was my ideal, but it is just too hard. To carry twins in and out of the car was clearly not a one person/one trip task. I say this because it extended to going out shopping, walking, what have you, all alone. Simplicity is key with twins. When they are little, take advantage of the snap and go strollers. Use it for all its worth. Once you graduate from that (I was chomping at the bit to!!), you will see how much "harder" it is to get around. OK, maybe not "hard", but more complicated, longer; not nearly as quick and simple. I bought my Valco when the twins were 6 months. I wish I had kept using the snap and go a little longer. I know that I will be able to use the Valco until they are 4 or 5 (depending on their weights) and I also know it will retain some resalable value, so I am not worried about getting my monies worth out of it.
#10 of 32 Old 03-01-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMeOhMy View Post
Us too! My 4 yo DD LOVES her little "Queenly" spot.
yeah the toddler sear rocks... ds loves it!

the valco is the reason i am able to leave the house- no matter what the weather...

also if you have a double side by side stroller may i recommend the skip hop duo double diaper bag? its awesome... holds everything we need and adds 2 drink holders to the stroller when attached... and puts cell phone, wallet and sling in easy reach.
#11 of 32 Old 03-01-2007, 03:44 PM

i have a snap and go in the trunk but use the valco at home... the valco replaces the need for carseats because we walk rather than drive... in our area it's possible to walk to shops, parks, libraries, LLL meetings... and I wouldn't be able to go in the snow with the snap n go...

i use the snap and go when i drive somewhere...
#12 of 32 Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 PM

I'm in the Mountain Buggy camp. We had a single stroller and sling setup until they were about four months old. I didn't use infant car seats so our MBUD worked very well for us. I think I'd get the Valco IF I had any plans to have more children while my twins were still young (since you could then add the toddler seat and have the twins take turns riding in it). We do love, love, love our MBUD and I don't even notice the weight after lifting it in and out of my car almost daily for two plus years. I think we all have pretty developed upper bodies from carrying two children when necessary. If I were to do it over again, I would have gotten the MBUD right from the beginning.

I have several slings and did not get nearly as much use out of them as I would have liked. Same story as a previous poster - I'd get a baby settled and the other one would want to nurse. I eventually made a ring sling and it lived, for months, in my MBUD just in case someone was completely unhappy being in the buggy.

I didn't have a Snap n Go but that seems like a pretty affordable way to go if you're planning to use infant car seats and you live in an area with lots of pavement/suburbia/an urban area. It would pretty useless in a really snowy/rural environment because of the small plastic wheels.

Good luck with things!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#13 of 32 Old 03-01-2007, 07:10 PM

Another Mountain Buggy fan here. It's expensive, but worth it. It is easy to steer & push. I push it up and down very steep hills in San Francisco. The only negatives are that it's big & heavy.

I used the Snap & Go when they were tiny. I just couldn't carry two in and out of stores when we did errands.

For slings -- I would criss-cross a Kangaroo Corner and a Hotsling for when they were tiny & would take a nap. They I would hip carry them criss-cross for short walks in the neighborhood. I got two Kozys thinking I would wear one on my back and one on my front, but honestly I never figured that out. I also have an Ergo that I like, but I obviously can only wear one at a time. My DH wears one of my girls in a structured backpack from REI that she really loves. She calls it the "Daddy backpack" and the Ergo is the "Mommy pouch."

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#14 of 32 Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 PM

Slings: I wore them both in a padded ring sling (Heart to Heart) from birth to about 3 months then graduated to 2 Kozy's (1 on front, 1 on back) that worked really well for us. I would also wear them in 2 Hotslings crossed - this was easiest when they both needed to nurse

Strollers: We didn't get a stroller until they were about 18 months and we got the Brio double stoller. I LOVE it. It is a side by side but it's narrow enough to fit in any doorway - this was very important to us because we live in an area where everything is within walking distance and we do our errands on foot. It also has the option of adding a toddler board (not sure exactly what they're called...) that allows our 1st dd to stand and ride, too
#15 of 32 Old 03-02-2007, 04:44 PM

I like a regular unpadded slings for my twins. I can use one or two, as needed. I tried the twin sling, but it just didn't work. I just tried a wrap and that would have been really great when the boys were little!! Now they want up and down too much.

I used one sling for both of them when they were very small, but then went to wearing one, and puting one in tthe cart/swing/etc. My husband liked the bjorn with the back support and wore one each evening (we wore them to sleep until they were about 9 months old).

I liked the double snap n go stroller while we had bucket carseats. It was very light and easy to deal with. Now I am using a Graco, but they are getting too big ( at almost 2). I am not sure what I will use next. I do use my stroller a lot, because my boys are just too heavy to wear extendedly (probably 8 lbs heavier than my oldest at 21 months old!!).

I have found that so much depends on you, your lifestyle, how old and heavy your children are, etc. Don't be afraid to try new things to see what works best for you!! (and borrow, beg, and buy used as much as you can!!)

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#16 of 32 Old 03-02-2007, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'm SO glad to have caught this thread. I'm currently debating between the MBUD and Valco. And trying to decide if I should get the double snap n go.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Valco, just becase of the toddler seat option. My daughter will be 3 and a few months when the twins arrive. She's starting to show more independence with wanting to walk on her own, but I also think a little regression is quite normal and she'll want to ride too. And though the park is only 4 blocks from our house, there are no sidewalks. I'm not so comfortable with her walking next to the stroller on the road. Those of you with the toddler seat, what is the age of the kiddo who rides in it?

Second question, do I need to purchase the infant carrier adapters for the Valco, or do the buckets fit just fine?

Can the babes ride in their infant carriers with the toddler seat attached?

Any other advice to give for a mama with a toddler and twins on the way?
#17 of 32 Old 03-02-2007, 05:35 PM

I just ordered the valco with the toddler attachemnt-I am so freakiing excited to get it. It was so hard to go through with it due to the price tag! I have 4 kids 4 and under though, so I need a good stroller for sure (can't sling them all at once ). I do have a snap and go and have really liked having it, but the kids will graduating from it soon. Dont know about the valco and the infant seat attachment-maybe someone else will.

I criss cross hotslings in hip carry or do a mai tei (babyhawk) on front and ergo on back if I sling both. I prefer to sling one at a time, but sometimes it has to be 2. My older two (ages 2 and 3) still like to be back slung sometimes too . I also have a maya and am trying to get better at ring slings so I can use it more too. I like having variety since I babywear so much. I have gotten most of mine used from the trading post here or babywearer.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#18 of 32 Old 03-02-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewpie View Post
I'm SO glad to have caught this thread. I'm currently debating between the MBUD and Valco. And trying to decide if I should get the double snap n go.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Valco, just becase of the toddler seat option. My daughter will be 3 and a few months when the twins arrive. She's starting to show more independence with wanting to walk on her own, but I also think a little regression is quite normal and she'll want to ride too. And though the park is only 4 blocks from our house, there are no sidewalks. I'm not so comfortable with her walking next to the stroller on the road. Those of you with the toddler seat, what is the age of the kiddo who rides in it?

Second question, do I need to purchase the infant carrier adapters for the Valco, or do the buckets fit just fine?

Can the babes ride in their infant carriers with the toddler seat attached?

Any other advice to give for a mama with a toddler and twins on the way?
you need adaptors- but you can only use one side as a infant seat... and the toddler seat will not go on with an infant seat...

the seats can be used for little babies- they fully recline.

the toddler seat folds down when not in use, is easy to take on and off and will be a life-saver... i highly recommend it!

i found a snap n go with 2 car seats from another twin mom for $125 and i can resell it when i am done... no regrets!
other advice? get. sleep. now. babyproof your house so your toddler can roam free and have safe fun when you are pinned down nursing 2 babies.
#19 of 32 Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 PM

I did not get the snap and go and was very happy with that decision. If we went grocery shopping my toddler went in the big part of the cart, one carseat on top and one baby in the sling. If we went in the stroller same thing, toddler and one baby in the stroller and one on me. However most of the time with the stroller it ended up both on me and my toddler in the double. My least favorite however was when she decided to walk, I had both on, and I am pushing an empty double stroller like a nut .

This made two things possible, first of all there was still room for my 2.5 year old to ride and second it made sure that at least one baby was getting their sling time every trip.
#20 of 32 Old 03-03-2007, 12:19 AM

We have the MBUD and I absolutely LOVE it! Someone here said it doesn't have a clip to keep it closed (like when it's folded) but it does! It took me awhile to find it though - it was hiding in the fabric of the seat on the left (when the seat is in an upright position the fabric rests against itself and the clip thing was hiding in there!). Anyhoo, it's awesome - best money I ever spent. For the first 5ish months though we did use a double Snap & Go which was very convenient. I'd say consider that, especially if you already plan to use infant carrier carseats.

As for slings - the thing that has been THE most valuable has been my Kangaroo Korner pouch (although any good fitting pouch works fine for what I need - wouldn't have to be this brand). This is how I get the babies to sleep every single day for naps. I tuck one down in there in a cradle type position (and this is even at 11 months & 24 1/2 lbs) and pace the hallway in the dark until he falls asleep. Then I slip it off over my head and lay him down and repeat with the next baby. I love my MT's too, but honestly these days I use my pouches the most (both for the nap thing and for a hip carry when we're out & about).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#21 of 32 Old 03-03-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikruca View Post
you need adaptors- but you can only use one side as a infant seat... and the toddler seat will not go on with an infant seat...

the seats can be used for little babies- they fully recline.

the toddler seat folds down when not in use, is easy to take on and off and will be a life-saver... i highly recommend it!

i found a snap n go with 2 car seats from another twin mom for $125 and i can resell it when i am done... no regrets!
other advice? get. sleep. now. babyproof your house so your toddler can roam free and have safe fun when you are pinned down nursing 2 babies.
OK, I just want to make sure I totally understand you. Mind is mush these days.

So I cannot use the Valco with two infant carriers, only one at a time? Then it would make sense to only purchase one adapter, correct?

Also makes the decision on the snap n go and easy one, I'm going to get one.

Thanks!
#22 of 32 Old 03-05-2007, 11:05 AM

i dont know what id do without my double snap n go and my unpadded sling!!
#23 of 32 Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 AM

ps - walmart is selling the double snap n go now - online only. its a little cheaper than target, baby center, etc
#24 of 32 Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 PM

we started with the double snap and go. (loved it). At 6 months we bought the Baby Jogger City Series Double. It is wonderful. Similar to the Mountain Buggy and the Valco. I chose it because of the super easy folding mechanism. It has been perfect. I think the Valco is a little "prettier". but the fold makes the Baby Jogger work for us.
#25 of 32 Old 03-05-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewpie View Post
OK, I just want to make sure I totally understand you. Mind is mush these days.

So I cannot use the Valco with two infant carriers, only one at a time? Then it would make sense to only purchase one adapter, correct?

Also makes the decision on the snap n go and easy one, I'm going to get one.

Thanks!
correct
#26 of 32 Old 03-08-2007, 02:06 PM

Great thread and timely, too, as we are puzzling over same issues.

Additional questions:

1) How big of a kid can the Valco "toddler" seat take? Our DD will be nearly 4 when the twins come and maybe 4.5 by the time we use the bigger stroller (we do plan to use Snap n Go initially). Will the toddler seat still be practical. She weighs 37 lbs at 3.5, so I'd say she is medium sized for her age now, but we probably wouldn't be using the larger stroller for another year at least.

2) No one had mentioned the Bob Revolution Dualie. I wonder why not. Is it inferior to the Valco and/or Mountain Buggy (MBUD) for some reasons? We had been considering it, but largely because we'd never heard of Valco or MBUD before this thread. I'm not sure, but maybe BOB is more of a newcomer to the stroller game.

Thanks,
AnaMom
#27 of 32 Old 03-08-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaMom View Post
Great thread and timely, too, as we are puzzling over same issues.

Additional questions:

1) How big of a kid can the Valco "toddler" seat take? Our DD will be nearly 4 when the twins come and maybe 4.5 by the time we use the bigger stroller (we do plan to use Snap n Go initially). Will the toddler seat still be practical. She weighs 37 lbs at 3.5, so I'd say she is medium sized for her age now, but we probably wouldn't be using the larger stroller for another year at least.

2) No one had mentioned the Bob Revolution Dualie. I wonder why not. Is it inferior to the Valco and/or Mountain Buggy (MBUD) for some reasons? We had been considering it, but largely because we'd never heard of Valco or MBUD before this thread. I'm not sure, but maybe BOB is more of a newcomer to the stroller game.

Thanks,
AnaMom
I can't answer the first question, but the reason I did not consider the BOB is because of the width. The Mountain Buggy, Valco, and Baby Jogger City Series Double are the only ones less than 30 inches wide. (or were when I was looking). The BOB Duallie gets good reviews (IIRC), but I was terrified of not being able to go through doors. There is a website (I think it was joggingstroller.com) that will let you select the features you want, and then it tells you what strollers have those features. It has a comparison chart also. So I kept my search to those three (MBUD, VALCO, BJCSD) and went with the BJCSD because of the easy fold. But from what I hear, people are happy with all three.

Also the baby bargains website has a great stroller message board - those people know everything about strollers. HTH.
#28 of 32 Old 03-08-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaMom View Post
Max weight on the toddler seat is 45 lbs. My DD at almost 3 just weighs 30 lbs, so it makes good sense for us. I have heard though that they have excellent resale on eBay and stroller swap boards.
#29 of 32 Old 03-09-2007, 03:04 AM

I bought a Duo Glider and it has been fine but I usually double sling them. I am learning more about wraps and I like MTs so I am starting to use those more now too but up until recently we only used ring slings. Both of my RSs are Maya Wrap Slings and I love them. When dh is with me we each wear one and he loves the RSs too. I keep the stroller with me but we only use it if we will be someplace for a long time and they can't walk around. I just don't use my stroller enough and it cost $220 dollars so it bums me out but maybe I would have use one more if I bought what the rest of these ladies did!
#30 of 32 Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM

I just wanted to mention an option for an older 3rd child with the MBUD in case anyone has kids like mine. We put the twins in the MBUD and my 3yo (35lbs) sits on the little metal foot plate dead center when she doesn't want to walk (which is frequently) and it's no harder to push around (as long as she sits centered & not off to one side b/c that puts weight on the wheels a bit). Works real well for us and she seems to like having the front row seat. Her baby brothers do kick her in the back a little but mostly she thinks that's funny (b/c they're babies and don't mean to do it).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page