How long did your twins nurse? Getting a little antsy to wean.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Twin ds and dd are 2 next week. They don't nurse that much, really. And neither one nurses to sleep anymore. But still I'm burnt out on nursing (it's been 5 years straight now, two with the twins) and I just don't see myself letting them self wean. Guess I'm afraid I might regret it if I wean now or soon.

What's your experience with extended nursing or weaning twins beyond two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 04:46 PM

You have done a great job Mamma!! It is really hard nursing twins! It just hasn't been the same experience as with my oldest and other's have said the same.

I plan to have them weaned by the end of the summer because I just can't keep it up, emotionally. I thought I would be nursing them forever, but I won't be. I also want another baby, so we will be trying to conceive again.

I nursed my oldest until almost 3 and did regret weaning him. I started to get migraines again, and I treated him more grown up, just because I wasn't nursing him. However, I wasn't ovulating while nursing. So, I wouldn't have the twins, if I had kept it up.

It is up to you to decide. It is a very hard decision, but it doesn't have to be made today or even tomorrow. Perhaps just slowing them down will be enough, or not.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:47 AM

I am starting to think the same thoughts -- mine are 20 months and most days just nursing 3 times a day, but there are moments I almost can't stand the feel of it -- it's hard to explain, but it's not a good feeling, like it makes my skin crawl?? Then there are the rest of the times, which are usually pretty wonderful. I keep telling myself to fully get through the winter and cold/flu season, and then see.

I had no plans on how long I would nurse them when I started out (I didn't want to fall into a depression in the early days if for any reason the nursing didn't happen as I had hoped) and that has worked well -- so I am trying to cling to that "one day/nursing session at a time" mentality, and, like the PP said, not make a decision at this moment.

I'd be interested to hear how other twins weaned -- on their own, one at a time, together? And (without being flamed), if anyone had some of these not-so-good feelings about nursing two.

Thanks for starting this tread.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:48 AM

Mine will be 2 this Saturday. They nurse at least 4 times a day: first thing in the morning, before nap, after nap and before bed. They often nurse again somewhere in the morning and somewhere in the afternoon. They nurse to sleep before nap, but not before bed. I nightweaned them when they were 22 months old.

I, too, entertain thoughts of weaning them. But I haven't and aside from nightweaning, I don't limit the frequency of their nursing. I go back & forth between wanting to nurse them until they're ready to wean and just being DONE. They always tandem nurse which I think contributes to my feeling over it. I am sick of the fights, the popping off and on to have a conversation, the one girl pulling this way while the other pulls that way with my boob in their mouth, etc, etc. When they nurse one at a time, it's so much more pleasant.

I, too, sometimes get the skin crawly, get-these-kids-off-of-me now feelings. When I get those, I either sing to the girls to sort of get my mind off of it or if they've been nursing a while, I say that milk is going to go bye-bye after I count to 10. Sometimes they cry when I do that, but they get over it pretty quick. I generally don't get the creepy feeling when they're actually nursing, but more when they've been nursing for 15 minutes already and are just hanging out comfort sucking.

One of the many things that keeps me nursing is that I feel like I'd lose an important way to soothe the girls. It also seems to be an important way that they connect with me. I'm also afraid of cold and flu season without mama's milk.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
Old 03-09-2007, 03:09 AM

My girls turn 4 the end of this month. They weaned (w/ a slight nudge) on their 3rd birthday. They were still nursing quite often, including to sleep at night, at age 2. Between 2 & 2 1/2 they cut out the nursing to sleep (had night weaned around 19 mo) pretty much on their own (well, I guess if don't offer don't refuse counts as mama led, I did that). And it was around 2 1/2 (give or take) that they drastically reduced their nursing. I know in Nov of that year (so 31 mo or so) the girls & I went w/ my parents on a weekend motorhome trip & they didn't nurse the entire weekend (I don't really remember when, but at some point I'd instituted a "we only nurse at home" rule (because nursing 2 wiggly large toddlers in public is not fun!) and apparently the motorhome didn't count as "home". They didn't nurse all weekend but the second I sat down on our sofa at home they were right there asking for it LOL. But even so, by Christmas I'd say each kid nursed maybe once ever 3rd or 4th day. They were happy to nurse for literally like 30 seconds (they'd lay in my lap. I'd wait a heartbeat & say "ok, ABC and we're done" (we started very young using the ABC song to help with transitions so they were very used to it by then) and 99% of the time as soon as I said that, before I could start the song, they'd get up and go about their business). They didn't nurse when they were hurt or upset, they nursed when they were bored or when they saw someone else nursing (we always ended up nursing at NINO meetings LOL). Ashlyn at some point stopped even latching on, she just held my nipple in her mouth. I felt it had become a habit (oh wait, we're supposed to nurse once in awhile). The fact that when they got hurt or were angry or whatever they wanted to snuggle or whatever NOT nurse was very telling to me. So, a month or two before their 3rd birthday I started telling them that 3 yr olds don't have num nums. They'd ask to nurse & I'd ask "how old are you?" they'd say 2, I'd say 'do 2 yr olds get num nums" they'd laugh at me & say yes (w/ that duh mommy tone LOL). Then I'd ask how old they'd be on their birthday & they'd say 3 & I'd ask if 3 yr olds have num nums and they'd say no in that same tone. So, their birthday came, they asked to nurse, I'd ask how old they were "3", "do 3 yr old get num nums?" they'd say no & either go off or I'd say "let's snuggle instead" or whatever. It was 100% painless, they were ready, they just needed that "nudge" (change is NOT something they do well. Ashlyn gets upset if she sees me give away some piece of baby gear that's been in the basement since she was 6 mo old. But if she recognizes from pictures or whatever that it was her's she doesn't want it to go away).

So . . . things definately started slowing down for us soon after they turned 2 and I'm very glad i took things slowly. Trying to wean any earlier than 2 3/4 I think would have been hard on all of us, as it was, it was a non-issue, which I love!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:44 AM

I am still nursing mine and they are almost 17 months. I am not sure when we will wean. It will either be after 2 sometime or when they self wean. Right now they still nurse quite often and they still seem so little to me. Most of the time I am not in a hurry for the nursing relationship to be over but then there are those moments you mentioned where I just can't take one more moment of it. When I feel like that I just tell them it is time to get up and I distract them with something else.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:58 AM

Mine were 27mos old, and I decided to wean because I was pg again and really wasn't interested in tandeming to that degree AND I felt it was too much for me physically/nutritionally.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Old 03-09-2007, 06:55 PM

Still nursing at 3 years 5 months.

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

Old 03-09-2007, 10:51 PM

Wow. 5 years of nursing. You are a trooper.

My b/g twins just weaned roughly together at 3 years and 3 (or 4?) months.

This was our general trajectory: nursed on demand till 18 months, when I stopped nursing in public. I nightweaned at 27 months when I was about to lose my mind from sleep deprivation (they were still 24/7 nursers at that point).

Started imposing gentle limits on the frequency and duration of daytime nursing around 2.5 yo. (I slowly got them down to around 4 times a day, for a few minutes each time.) At that point, their level of nursing was tolerable for me, so I did the "don't offer, don't refuse" thing (within the limits I had established).

They basically just kinda slowed down till they stopped asking. They have always nursed together, though my dd asked to nurse on one more occassion after my my ds (and he knew she was nursing, but didn't ask himself). It was truly fairly painless for all three of us at the end (though establishing some of the boundaries along the way was tough).

I'm glad I did it for as long as I did. But I'm also really glad to be done
Old 03-10-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaloakmi View Post
I'm glad I did it for as long as I did. But I'm also really glad to be done

Yeah, that!!

My boys are sick right now and asking to nurse a lot. I'm happy to be CLW, but it's been very challenging at times. I will be really glad to be done when the time comes! I imagine a sort of been there done that sort of relief!

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

Old 03-10-2007, 11:27 PM

My twins stopped nursing at 27 mos. It's a tough decision, on one hand I did want to and on the other I wanted to continue. They really weren't nursing that much at the time, maybe it was 3x a day. Not to mention they started pulling on my nipples with teeth, it was hurting. When they did I wanted to have a party ...(I've been nursing on and off since 1997). But then I also felt sad. Now 3 they say to me Mommy remember I used to drink milk out of your Nee..nee (their nick name). That comment always makes me smile.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:16 AM

My twins nursed until age 2.

No matter what you decide or end up doing, please know that you're a GOOD mama and you've done a WONDERFUL job nursing your babies.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I think I'm going to start with the total night wean - we've been working on decreasing. It's the nighttimes that are still hard even though only waking a few times a night(per child). I agree with (someone?sorry!) that nursing two year olds can be very helpful and I'm not sure I want to give that up. And I know THEY don't!! It's so nice to know of other moms that are out their nursing thier little twin-lings!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 PM

My girls self-weaned (one had a TINY bit of encouraging) at 3y4m but I was ready long before then. I had moments when I felt more done then others. Some days I felt I was going to run screaming if someone asked to nurse again and others I felt like Wonder Woman who would nurse for the rest of my life. Night weaning does make a difference in the burnt out feelings area. You've done an amazing job getting them this far! Anything more is icing.

Karen - Mama to Haven (9/00) , Lillie & Faith (MZ - 12/02) and my first homebirthed baby, Willa (3/08)

User Tag List