Bathroom Time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-14-2007, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How often did you/do you pee when pregnant with twins?

I have reactive hypoglycemia, so I pee a lot typically. But I'm peeing SO MUCH MORE than I ever thought I would (I'm 21 weeks now). Much more often than other pregnant women (who are all only carrying one). I have no idea what the 3rd trimester holds for me, bathroom-wise.

I'm definitely getting enough fluids -- between 3-4 litres of water alone, in addition to other liquids (primarily milk, but sometimes juice -- orange or unsweetened cranberry -- or Gatorade), each day. There's no pain when going and everything's clear. When I feel like I have to go, it's because I really do have to go.

I was at lunch the other day with a friend who is three weeks ahead of me to the day. In 2 hours, she didn't pee once and didn't even pee before leaving the restaurant, and she drank two beverages while there. I went 4 times while she was still there and once more before leaving.

At night, there are times when I have a 1.5-hour bladder and times when I have a 2-hour or 2.5-hour bladder. But this is only after I've already gone to sleep. GETTING to sleep is difficult because I feel like I can never fully empty my bladder enough to relax and head off to dreamland. One night, recently, I swear I went 6 times in an hour -- just trying to empty things enough to go to sleep.

And I can't limit my fluid intake because I'm too thirsty! I've never had a problem getting enough fluids because I'm just so thirsty! The amount I drink sates me, and isn't worrisome at all. It's the bathroom trips that are slightly disconcerting.

I'm trying to tell myself that this is probably normal for a hypo mom carrying twins, but since I've never been pregnant, nor carried twins before, I'd like a little reassurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-14-2007, 10:59 PM

Every 1/2 hour - 1 hour for me. I am 31 weeks.
#3 of 9 Old 03-14-2007, 11:12 PM

Yup. Sounds normal.

You're drinking 4 litres of water a day (yeah!), so you're going to pee a lot. And, I suppose you just have more pressure on your bladder too?

I remember not being able to sleep b/c of getting up to go to the bathroom so much. And at the end of my pregnancy, I couldn't climb our stairs (I had to kinda crawl) up to the bathroom. Glad no one caught that on video.

The crazy thing? I peed even MORE after I delivered. I guess I had so much extra fluid in my body it just all had to come out somehow. Fortunately, the postpartum peeing was short lived.
#4 of 9 Old 03-15-2007, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. Whew! So glad to know!

Thanks so much, ladies.

Now I'm REEEAAAALLLY glad we don't have stairs between my bedroom and the bathroom! It's difficult enough just getting out of bed!
#5 of 9 Old 03-16-2007, 12:43 AM

Even in pregnancy, there can be differences in how long you can go between bathroom breaks. In "normal life" I don't have to use the restroom often. During my twin pregnancy, I only had to go a little more often (even though I was drinking tons). Your friend is probably one of the more unusual ones like me.
#6 of 9 Old 03-16-2007, 12:53 AM

I would have to pee about every 1 to 1.5 hrs I told everyone it was my bodies way of getting me ready to nurse two babies. A trick I would do at night was pee then walk around the bathroom a few times in a circle sit down pee some more I would do this 3 to 5 times it helped get everything out and I could get a few more zzz's before I had to start all over again Great job on all that water you are drinking keep it up
#7 of 9 Old 03-16-2007, 08:49 PM

kettunainin,
You're not alone. I can pee anytime there is a nearby bathroom. Though I actually need to go every 30-40 minutes taking in fluids similar to yours. I also pee numerous times during the night. I could cut it down some if I didn't also drink water at night, but it feels like keeping my fluid intake up is good for me, so I put up with the peeing.
#8 of 9 Old 03-18-2007, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for giving me some much-needed reassurance. I really appreciate it!

twinmonkeys: I kind of do that myself already. I pee once, then wipe, then wait a few seconds for the last little trickle. But sometimes, even if I do that and think I'm all finished, I have to go again as soon as I've hit the door, so it's back to the toilet for me. I'm getting used to it now, since it's been happening like this for about 2-3 weeks now.
#9 of 9 Old 03-21-2007, 12:57 AM

I think the reason we have to pee so much in the middle of the night you know every 2 to 3 hours so our bodies can get ready to do the same thing once they babies are here with breast feeing KWIM? I said this once and some people thought it was nuts but others thought it made perfect sense

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page