Looking for reassurance - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-15-2007, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out that I'm pregnant with twins. I've been reading this forum like crazy and I'm finding I'm more worried than excited. I worry about all the logistics of being able to hold my babies and be moble in the world, about having a birth that resembles something I would choose, etc... I'd rather be in a place of gratitude (since I've been TTC for years) but I'm feeling a bit gloomy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-15-2007, 10:35 PM

I too was TTC for a number of years, and instead of being excited when I found out it was twins, my first words were: "Oh sh*t."

I think it's pretty normal to have really conflicted feelings about it. Just try to restrain yourself from trying to read everything all at once and give yourself some time and space to settle into the idea.

Congratulations!
#3 of 13 Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 PM

I haven't had my babies yet (I'm 33w3d), but I can totally relate to what you're going through. I'm not sure how much this will help, but being pregnant with twins has truly been an exercise in letting go of my own expectations and becoming more open and flexible to what life has to bring me. And I thought I was pretty good at that already! Not to be discouraging, but there are many things I have had to change my perspective on since becoming pregnant - ranging from the birth experience I wanted to have (just reading the list of "higher risk of..." with twin pregnancies will get you started down that road) to what life would be like for my family after they arrived. It was hard, scary, and very emotional at times. But I think it's been preparation for what parenting twins will be like, KWIM?

I hope you don't take this as doom and gloom, but I'm not going to tell you that everything will be OK and that you'll have the perfect pregnancy and birth experience you always dreamed of... because you may not. And it's OK. Take your time and let yourself adjust. Don't expect the change to happen overnight, because I'm still coming to terms with new things all the time (like the meds I just got put on due to preterm labor and cholestasis of pregnancy). Be easy on yourself, do your research and learn as much about twin pregnancy as you can, find a medical provider you trust and that has lots of experience with twins (I think this is vital), try to stay true to your beliefs but realize that you may just need to be a little more flexible than you had imagined. Best wishes to you and your babies .
#4 of 13 Old 03-15-2007, 11:32 PM

Oh my... that's a total flashback for me. We TTC our twins for a year, past a miscarriage, the pregnancy was SO wanted... and I wanted to cry when I found out it was twins. The first words out of my mouth were "Oh no, you MUST be kidding me, right?" In fact I did cry, many times. : I literally fantasized daily that it was a mistake or a joke, and there was really only one baby in there. It was brutal.

My twins are here now and they are amazing, sweet babies, a blessing to our family, and it's so much better than I thought it would be. SO much better.

Arm yourself with information to have a healthy pregnancy and birth, and don't let the horror stories get to you... all else will follow. Hugs!

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#5 of 13 Old 03-16-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaloakmi View Post
I too was TTC for a number of years, and instead of being excited when I found out it was twins, my first words were: "Oh sh*t."

)
The first words out of my mouth were remarkably similar, except I replaced the "oh" part with "holy".

And then I read and read and read and read WAY too many books, and projected costs of simultaneous braces, colleges, and weddings until I freaked out and then I made myself stop reading anything and didn't let myself think too far in the future. Instead, I tried to enjoy the miracle of feeling two little babes kick inside me, and took care of myself as best as possible, and prepared and acted on the things that WERE in my control (eating well, resting, stocking up on food for after they came, talking to MOMs who breastfed, etc).

But I have to admit I wasn't thrilled at the news even though everyone around me was. But today -- nearly 21 months later -- I am COMPLETELY thrilled with having two.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and know that it's completely normal to be feeling like it's a mixed blessing. Although I didn't believe it at first, it really is awesome to have twins.
#6 of 13 Old 03-16-2007, 01:44 AM

congrats momma! welcome to the beautiful twin mama world!! i love it! i was more than shocked when we found out we were preg with twins, i think most moms are, it never even crossed my mind until my midwife said.. wait, i think i better go get the doctor i think there are 2 babies in there... i laughed. i didnt think it was possible, but possible it was and now i wouldnt trade it for the world!! one thing i wish people would have told me when i was expecting twins is that it would be easier than i thought it would... now that does not mean that it is easy i have 3 under 2, but i expected it to be alot easier. you said you are concerned about holding your babies. i think that you will find that things will come naturally, these beautiful clildren will be your first children, you will never know what it is like to have just one, so two is the way you will learn, and think of it as you dont have to re learn learn to use a sling/ pouch. I have had one (a pouch) but just learned how to use it and my twins love love it! this will hepl you to carry your babies at the same time if you chose. you are wonderful. i was a little overwhelmed and gloomy too for a little while then it was replaced by excitement and joy, i think that you will find the same. sorry about all the tips, i know we dont always want to hear tips, but ask around here on MDC to find a doctor who you LOVE my DR said that if i wanted he would rather deliver the babies vaginaly, unless in transverse position, because it is easier and better for everyone. good luck you will do wonderful!!!
#7 of 13 Old 03-16-2007, 01:02 PM

LOL I love the responses... I had a strong feeling it was twins at my first ultrasound and told the tech... when she confirmed it I think I said something like "you have to be f***ing kidding me" LOL. My twins aren't here yet and I am worried too, but my mantra has been many many women have had twins before me and survived and so will I. After all we are the elite! How many moms get the chance to have twins?

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#8 of 13 Old 03-16-2007, 08:44 PM

Welcome. Our twins are due in early June. When we found out my husband almost fainted--literally. It was a complete suprise, a shock really and though we're thrilled to be pregnant (these will be our first too) it took some getting used to the idea of two. We had to make huge changes in our birth plan--no more home birth due to state laws. And I won't even start on our budget which was already tight. But ultimately we're really happy. Both babies are healthy and kicking and my pregnancy has been free of any major trouble (knock wood). Good luck and take your time to adjust to the idea. Try to find healthy, supportive things to read, people to talk to.
XO
#9 of 13 Old 03-17-2007, 02:04 AM

Once I finally accepted that we were, indeed, really having twins (that, no, I wasn't on Candid Camera/Punk'd/Jamie Kennedy Experiment) I just repeated my philosophy over and over... "the universe will never give me more than I can handle". And so far, it's been true.

Good luck to you. Your babies are lucky to have a caring, thoughtful, proactive mama like you.
#10 of 13 Old 03-17-2007, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh momma. So many of us have been there. Coming to grips with your multiples pregnancy is a process. Give yourself time. Its a lot to get your head around.

I'll never forget the day that we went in for our ultrasound. The doc had suspected a twin pregnancy from a base in-office ultrasound. Imagine our surprise when we were told that it wasn't 2 . . . . it was actually 3!

Congrats momma!

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#11 of 13 Old 03-17-2007, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the empathy and encouragement. I am feeling better and am gearing up for the challenge. I do feel lucky. We're looking for midwives experienced with twins and working for the possibility of a homebirth. That would be AMAZING! I'm happy to hear there are others still pregnant with twins as well as experiences MOMs. Glad to be meeting you all.
#12 of 13 Old 03-17-2007, 08:50 PM

I think what you're going through is normal. You probably didn't picture yourself having twins when you were dreaming about becoming a mama. When we first started to TTC my DH said, "Maybe we'll have twins!" excitedly. I told him that I did *not* want twins. Well fast forward through the two years of TTC & IF treatments, I was thrilled to have twins, but I also had freak out moments.

It's hard. It's crazy. You'll wonder at times how you do it. You'll get by on less sleep than you ever thought possible. You'll forget to brush your teeth for a few days. But it's all worth it. And this is from someone who got 3 hours of sleep last night because she was up with her sick 2-year olds. The love you have for your kids will overwhelm you. And watching the relationship between your two is incomparable. It's going to be okay -- it really is.

Oh, one more thing -- if you want to get out, you can get out. My girls were in a stroller way more than they would have been if they'd been born one at a time, but we've always gotten out and done things. I took my two to classes, parks, etc. You'll figure it out.

Good luck & cook your little twins as long as possible!

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#13 of 13 Old 03-19-2007, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomingmomma View Post
Thanks so much for the empathy and encouragement. I am feeling better and am gearing up for the challenge. I do feel lucky. We're looking for midwives experienced with twins and working for the possibility of a homebirth. That would be AMAZING! I'm happy to hear there are others still pregnant with twins as well as experiences MOMs. Glad to be meeting you all.
I'm glad it helps to post here and read what others have gone through!

It's normal to freak out a lot. It even has a name! It's called "twinshock."

I think I finally realized I was having twins about the time they were six months old (not six months into the pregnancy, six months OLD).:

You'll be tired. You'll be overworked. And you'll be overjoyed. And you'll be fine. Hugs.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page