We're having twins!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2007, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just confirmed yesterday with our 8-week ultrasound that we are indeed expecting twins in October!

Needless to say, we are excited, overjoyed, and a little overwhelmed all at once. My main priorities right now are to carry these babies at least to 38 weeks (and hopefully to at least 5.5 lbs each to avoid nursery care), to deliver naturally and vaginally if at all possible, and to get the heck out of the hospital ASAP! So, am I being realistic?

I am on the Brewer diet for pregnancy, eating at least 100 grams of protein per day, plus whole grains, fruit, and green leafies (salad...yum!), and drinking as much water as possible - through probably still not enough, but I am working on it. Anything else I should be doing?

Also, if by chance any of you are in the Tacoma, Washington area and have a good OB recommendation, I would love to hear from you!

Looking forward to getting to know you all as we start this next exciting adventure in our lives.

Thanks in advance for any advice and pointers!!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 11:50 AM

Congratulations!!! I know it's a lot to take in and even though I actually always thought I'd have twins, actually confirming it was just bizarre. Mine are almost a year old now and I think I've always "gotten" the concept of having 2 babies, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of having 2 toddlers or children at the same exact age (and boys - that was an even bigger shock to me than twins!). Anyway, sure it's hard but it's so wonderful. I really do feel lucky every single day that I get to be one of the chosen ones who get to experience life parenting multiples.

As far as pointers, drink a gallon of water a day and do your best to make sure that whatever you eat counts. I personally never had an appetite during my twin pregnancy (no room in there I suppose) so it was super important that I didn't fill up on empty calories, etc. Also, for your birth plans, research research research! I was able to give birth to my twins safely at home like plenty of other mamas on mdc. If that's something your interested then don't discount it just b/c you're carrying twins. I also know that a lot of mamas here had really great hospital birth experiences with their twins, so with some research on your part I'm sure you can find the best match for you. Congratulations again!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:53 PM

Congratulations and welcome!!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:28 PM

Congrats! My name is Dina too!

Anyway I have fraternal g/g twins who were born on Dec 13 2006. I am proud of myself that I was able to carry them to 38wks with NO BED REST. My girls were big for twins, born at 6lbs 12oz and 6lbs 3oz. They required no NICU care and came home with me from the hospital. I was disappointed because I had to have a csection but Baby A was breech with her feet touching my cervix. The doc was afraid that if I were to go into labor that the cord would wrap around her and harm her, so I did what was best for her and I and had the csection.

People kept telling me that twins are always small and always come early, I was determined to be opposite...yay!

Oh and as far as my diet I didnt really do well with watching it, I craved carbs, so I ate a LOT of bread and pasta. I did drink plenty of water and milk as well.

Good Luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone!

2+twins, it is actually illegal in this state for a midwife to attend a homebirth of a high risk pg like twins, and I just can't ask my mw to jeopardize her license for me. I am working on the water consumption - a gallon is ton for me, but I am doing my best. My water bottle is never far from my side, and dd will hand me the bottle from time to time and remind me that the babies are thirsty!

Dina, cool name! I am inspired by your story. Giving birth to healthy babies that do not need a NICU stay is the biggest thing for me in this pg (dd had severe meconium aspiration and spent two weeks in the NICU. I do NOT want to go back there). Although a vag. delivery would be ideal, if it takes a c-section to get there, so be it. ITA that the babies' health is the number one priority.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 AM

Congrats on your twins! I'm expecting in July with identical girls (we found out at 7w4d that they were identicals, as they share a chorian and at the time we feared they shared an amnion too... lucky for us they have their own partitioned womb :P). I had my son in the hospital and it wasn't a half bad experience. I delivered vaginally when most Drs would have sent me to the OR for not progressing. I'm still trying to work with my OB, but I'm leaning more and more towards a home waterbirth with a midwife. Good luck finding a Dr and happy healthy pregnancy to you!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 03-18-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
2+twins, it is actually illegal in this state for a midwife to attend a homebirth of a high risk pg like twins, and I just can't ask my mw to jeopardize her license for me.
I know nothing of the laws where you are but I was wondering if it's illegal for *any* type of mw to do it or just certain types (like okay for lm's but not cnm's, kwim?). I do know a cnm up there who attended a hb of twins but she might have been there as a bystander. Just curious. I know where I live cnm's aren't allowed to do it but other licenced mw's can.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+twins View Post
I know nothing of the laws where you are but I was wondering if it's illegal for *any* type of mw to do it or just certain types (like okay for lm's but not cnm's, kwim?).
That's what I was thinking as well. My midwife is a CNM, and can legally attend twin or VBAC homebirths... Where we are, direct entry midwives can't.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks, everyone!

2+twins, it is actually illegal in this state for a midwife to attend a homebirth of a high risk pg like twins, and I just can't ask my mw to jeopardize her license for me. I am working on the water consumption - a gallon is ton for me, but I am doing my best. My water bottle is never far from my side, and dd will hand me the bottle from time to time and remind me that the babies are thirsty!

Dina, cool name! I am inspired by your story. Giving birth to healthy babies that do not need a NICU stay is the biggest thing for me in this pg (dd had severe meconium aspiration and spent two weeks in the NICU. I do NOT want to go back there). Although a vag. delivery would be ideal, if it takes a c-section to get there, so be it. ITA that the babies' health is the number one priority.
Yes I was quite disappointed in having a csection because I had my son vaginally with no drugs at all. I wanted the same for the twins but the safety of my girls came first so a csection it was. I would have like to have gone 40wks but my OB preferred to schedule it at 38wks because she said the placentas for twins slow down around that time. Oh I gained 65lbs, I was actually surprised I carried them that long and they were that big as I am a very petite person.

I was also happy that they did not need NICU care. THere were two nicu docs at the delivery but that was standard procedures for twins. They were wheeled right up to the newborn nursery and they came right home with me from the hospital.

They are doing awesome now, sleeping 11-12hrs night and smiling and laughing, they are a true joy and double blessing. Dont get me wrong, those first weeks home were rough and now a distant memory.

Good Luck and keep us updated with the pregnancy.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

2+twins and ChristyC, as I understand it, it is illegal for any midwife in this state to attend what has been classified as a high risk home birth, and the laws are pretty narrow about what is not high risk. There are some midwives who will attend a twin homebirth "under the table," so to speak, and if anything goes wrong you just have to say that you were doing it unassisted, which then can raise issues regarding parental competency. The medical establishment here can be fairly draconian. I am sure it *can* be done, but IMO there are some significant risks, both to the midwife and the parents in the event something does go wrong, and my own preference is to not go that route.

Dina, can I ask how petite you are? I am just 5 foot, and I have been somewhat concerned that twins will run out of room. Dd was only 6.5 lbs, and I was pretty durned big by nine months with her!

Old 03-18-2007, 10:36 PM

I'm not quite as short as you but I'm still pretty small (5'3"). There are pics in my birth story (link in my sig). I did fine with the twins (just shy of 7 & 8 lbs each) but my older singletons were good sized babies themselves (8lb8oz &9lb8oz).

Old 03-19-2007, 01:50 AM

Hi and congratulations on your twin pregnancy!
I'm only 5ft tall and about 100lbs when not pregnant - I gained 45 with my twins and they were evicted (although vag. delivery no meds) at 35 wk 5days. Gedalya weighed in at 4lbs and Tehila at 5. (I was induced becasue the dr.s decided that Gedalya was not growing). I drank a ton of water every day and tried very hard to snack on nuts to up my protein. I did have pre-term labor, but I 've had pre-term with every single pregnancy - and then gone over due in some!. My biggest baby was 8lbs 5 oz - and these guys totaled 9. I understand that I was pretty big,but I really had no concept of it myself.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Dina, can I ask how petite you are? I am just 5 foot, and I have been somewhat concerned that twins will run out of room. Dd was only 6.5 lbs, and I was pretty durned big by nine months with her!

I am 5'1" and pre preg weight of 115lbs. I was also worried that the girls would run out of room but they didnt. If you saw my belly pics toward the end I did look like a freak show- my belly was huge!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Congrat's on the babies!! It is lots of work, but soo fun.

I haven't been keeping up, so this may have changed; it isn't illegal to have a twin homebirth in WA. You can't have a birthcenter birth, though (not illegal, just part of their agreement with the state when they get licensed). Most midwives don't have liablility insurance that will cover any high risk label.

I do know a midwife who will do a homebirth with twins. She is highly respected and well-known for taking VBAC's too.

Nutrition wise: eat lots of protien and good foods, especially Vit. C (for strong amniotic bags), drink lots of water, listed closely to your body. That pretty much summs up all the books.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!

User Tag List