When did you know it was twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 8 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I am already WELL into my maternity clothes, and DH told me last night I look as big already as I did at the end of my last pregnancy. (I don't, or course, but he was not the most attentive expectant father, nor does he have the best memory). A friend of mine told me today she'd noticed how large my bump was but didn't say anything because she didn't want to offend me. I don't mind at all, it took me forever to show with DD, so I would love to look pregnant longer!

I have MW care at a birth center, so I will only have one u/s, at 20w, if I decide to have it. I do have twins in the family (fraternal, my father's siblings). I don't really have a "gut" feeling as to whether or not there's more than one in there, but I am terrible at reading my gut feelings. Thought DD was a boy and I was sure I wasn't pregnant the month I finally was (we'd been TTC for 5 months and I was sure I WAS pregnant all those other months).

So, when/how did you find out you were having twins or more? Should I request an 8 week u/s just to set my mind at ease? I had OB care in the beginning of my pg with DD, so it was routine. I kind of miss "seeing" that everything is OK in there. But I am also not a fan of unnecessary extra stuff.

ETA: I really feel like knowing earlier would be best for our whole family. It would take DH a lot of time to adjust to the idea, and MIL is considering moving closer, which I think she would definitely do if twins were in the picture (I like MIL, so that would be OK ).

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I measured 14 weeks at my 10-week dr appt, and we did an ultrasound at that time to find out why (I knew I wasn't 14 weeks pg).

By 11 or 12 weeks we could hear 2 heartbeats at the same time, so a US isn't necessarily needed, though if it will put your mind at ease I think you should go ahead and get one.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:44 PM

My OB does a routine u/s at 10wks to verify due date and heartbeat. It was at that time that the tech saw two babies. I had no idea as I was not showing and was still wearing my regular clothes. I did not get bigger than usual until about 16wks.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:54 PM

I didn't find out til an u/s at 18w. I went in for gender and found out it was TWO boys.

If you suspect you are having twins, please have an u/s -- my twins turned out to have TTTS which is very dangerous, blah blah -- sorry, but I feel like I post about the risks/dangers of TTTS every other day, so I'm just going to leave it at that.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 PM

I found out at 6 weeks. I had a m/c right before I had teh twins so it was a check for dates / make sure all is okay

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 03-26-2007, 08:23 PM

6 wks 2 days, in severe pain in the evening, sent to er, did an ultrasound = surprise, 2 babies!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:26 PM

I did an ultrasound at 16 weeks to confirm gender and found out it was twins. I had had some "symptoms" before then-- maternity clothes by 9 weeks, severe nausea, etc-- but didn't know until the ultrasound.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:41 PM

We were in the process of moving across the country. MWs were much more expensive where we lived and I knew they were inexpensive where we were moving. Since I'd already been through two pregnancies, I decided to wait until we had moved (I'd consulted with two midwives at about 17 weeks--because of her measurement and my greater hunger, I'd asked if she thought it could be twins, but she didn't).

A week before the move, concerned friends wanted me to see a medical professional to make sure the cross country travel was safe. As a result of that, I ended up having an ultrasound (at 27 weeks). That's when we found out it was twins. Because the earlier midwife had thought it wasn't twins, I'd definitely want an ultrasound to confirm (then again, with your family history, your midwife might take you more seriously and check more closely). My midwife had just delivered a baby that was a whole month off datewise, so I think she just thought I was off on my dates.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:08 PM

7w 4d. I was seeing an RE, but got pregnant on my own before she had the chance to intervene (guess I scared my body into conception). Boy was she surprised! (Not as surprised as we were)

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:25 PM

:

littlebrowndog -- i too and getting bigger faster, partof the time i thik it is the "2nd babies pop faster" and then i am not sure......

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 03-27-2007, 12:20 AM

Officially, not until the "routine" 20 week ultrasound. But I remember asking at 12 weeks if it was possible there was more than one in there as I was VERY sick (and hadn't been with DS). My doc said "well, every pregnancy is different." You're telling me, buddy.

My weight gain was exactly the same as my first pregnancy (but looking back, the fact that I puked every day for 20+ weeks had something to do with that.)

And I just came across a notebook and saw a great entry from when I was about 7 weeks pregnant -- mentioned how sick and miserable I was and how DH and I were joking that it had to be either a girl, or twins.

We got both!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:31 AM

I was TTC for a year before I got PG, so I was VERY sure of my dates. By 6 weeks I was so ill I could hardly move, yet I was already wearing maternity clothing. By 10 weeks when my OB first sees patients I was convinced I was having twins. I was very ill, starving all the time, VERY large, and feeling movements on opposite sides simultaneously. The doc told me I was fatter because it was my second PG, my dates were probably off (yeah right my LMP was my 30th birthday for pete's sake) and I just had a touch of gas. He made me wait 2 weeks for an u/s, and the tech was surprised I knew there were 2 in there. She thought I would be the one who was surprised, not the doc.

Mama to 4 darlings. A ('03), O and K ('06), A ('09), and wife to M since 2002.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just lurking but wanted to say I was convinced it must be twins with my second. I didn't show until about 24 weeks with my first. With my second I looked 6 months pregnant by the time I was 6 weeks. I am not kidding! With my 3rd I was very visibly pregnant by 4.5 weeks. This is me 4.5 weeks pregnant with my 3rd - http://new.photos.yahoo.com/heavens_...803291711272/0

None of them ended up being twins!

Edited to add that it looks like I am sticking my tummy out because my legs are bent back but I have double jointed knees so they always look like that! That is a bonified preggo belly. I also felt movement at 14 weeks with number 2 and at 11 weeks with number 3.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 03-27-2007, 01:47 AM

was everyone really sick with their twin prgancy?

A

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 03-27-2007, 01:48 AM

Our babies were conceived through IVF, so we had a six week ultrasound to check for a heartbeat and find out how many embryos had stuck. The nurse saw two right away, and found two heartbeats. Personally, I was glad to know early, as I could start "eating for three" right away, make sure I was getting extra water, etc.

BTW, I think the extra nutrition helped, because at our 8-week u/s, both were measuring ahead of gestational age and very nearly the same size - one had been smaller at the 6 week u/s. Even the nurse was impressed, and became very interested in the Brewer diet. So of course, up on my soapbox I climbed! Yes, even in stirrups, I can preach good nutrition!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 03-27-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post

A
I was -- I believe the worst of it was that I had thrown up so much, I popped blood vessels in my eyes and started throwing up blood from tears in the esophagus (how about that for a pregnancy glow?) -- but many mamas weren't.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:

A
Nope. :

I had no morning sickness. At about six weeks I had some spotting and was sent for blood tests to check my hormone levels. When I went to see the doctor for the results the doc said that my levels were going up like crazy.

The next visit I was measuring ahead but he could only find one heartbeat. He tried tricking my husband by stopping to hear the heartbeat on the right side and then moving to the left side and then going back to right side. My husband got all excited but my doctor fessed up that he was just joking. When we were talking about how I was measuring ahead I asked if my dates could be off, he said yes or there could be two in there.

My GP doesn't deliver babies so I ended up choosing a midwife and at our first visit with her I was still measuring ahead and she heard one heartbeat and what we thought was an echo on the left (it was the same speed as the stronger one on the right).

I went for an ultrasound at 19 weeks and I mentioned to the tech that I was measuring ahead and that my dates could be off and my husband bounced in his seat and said "or it could be twins". As soon as she started the scan two little heads came up on the screen. Even though we had suspected twins I spent the next several days wandering around in a daze muttering "holy crap!"
Old 03-27-2007, 02:41 AM

I also had a Miscarriage before this pregnancy so we needed to check dates and make sure the baby was healthy. I has strong feelings like it was twins. At 7w4d we got an ultrasound and found the baby. The Tech said "well you don't get much better then that, there's the fetal pole and yoke sac and here's the HB." I told her I was relieved and that I wanted to find out my dates (could have been anywhere from 12- 6 weeks pregnant), make sure the baby was ok and to make sure there wasn't two. She asked me why I thought It was twins and I told her family history (my dad a fraternal) and I was breastfeeding, but mainly because I had a strong feeling it was twins. Sure enough there were two. Even though I suspected I was still in complete shock and I know I used explicatives when she told me LOL! OH and I also had little to no morning sickness and at 22 weeks I'm only measuring 26 weeks, so I'm still "small", so really the only way you are going to know for sure is to hear two heartbeats (which is hard) or by getting an ultrasound.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 03-27-2007, 08:49 AM

As for mother's intution, the thought crossed my mind as soon as the positive test came back (we had been TTC for a year so I tested very early, I think I knew at around 3w5d.) It was a weird nagging feeling. We had been planning to UC that "baby," but the "feeling" led me to seek care almost immediately, it was so strange.

I *knew* at 5w when I started having round ligament pains and severe fatigue and morning sickness that something very weird was going on- I suspected twins and I told my best friend so that exact day.

One week later I found out I was correct at an ultrasound, and we finally KNEW for sure

Oh, and I also had miscarried right before getting pg with the twins. Literally right before, no break in between- I found out I was pg with the twins just over three weeks after confirming the m/c (I have short cycles.) You could have knocked me over with a feather, since naturally, they were concieved in the ONE MONTH we weren't trying after a year of TTC.

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
Old 03-27-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:

A
I was very, very sick. I was hospitalized with dehydration, I was so sick until almost 22 weeks. I was dx with hyperemesis and then it disappeared mysteriously- like one morning I woke up throwing up all over myself, the next day I sprang out of bed perfectly fine.

I distinctly remember literally wanting to die for weeks and weeks on end- it was the most horrible experience of my life. The worst part was bearing the worst of the m/s during the heat of July/August... without air conditioning, in 90-100 degree heat. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
Old 03-27-2007, 10:51 AM

I had no idea until 18 weeks with the first ultrasound. DH kept asking our OB prior to this, "Are you sure there aren't twins?" She said probably not because of how small I was. He knew somehow. I don't know how he knew, but he really wanted twins and kept asking me "what if" questions about it. He is a totally amazing person sometimes.
I immediately burst into tears when the tech told me there were two. I just felt (and always will feel) extraordinarily blessed.

But, I did have severe nausea with no throwing up. Whenever I felt hungry I would eat immediately because otherwise I simply wouldn't eat. I ate crackers, drank Vernors ginger ale, and an occasional banana for about 6 weeks. It really sucked but I sure am making up for it now!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:57 AM

I was so tired and hungry (gettting up twice a night to EAT, not pee), I knew something was off. I was NEVER hungry in the first trimeseter with my other 3 pregnancies. The doc at least listened to me when I said those things. He didn't do an u/s, but he ran all kinds of blood work looking for Thyroid, sugar, iron, etc. When all that came back normal and a month later I was feeling worse, he did the u/s to look for the heartbeat just to put my mind at rest that the 'baby' was fine. His words, "You are older now, and pregnancy can be rougher on someone older. But lets take a quick peek to make you feel better." And POP, two babies! That was at 9.5 weeks, I can't remember the exact day for it
Old 03-28-2007, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I self-diagnosed by 12 weeks. I knew what was normal for me after 2 pregnancies, and I was NOT measuring anywhere normal for me even by 10 weeks. And nausea/fatigue for twice as long. Went in for U/S at 12 weeks to make sure, and I was right. Still a shock though!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 03-28-2007, 12:37 PM

I got pregnant 3 months after a m/c, was ravenous. In spite of lots of morning sickness, I was gaining weight and started showing around 9 or 10 wks. Our midwife reassured me that since my diet was so good, I shouldn't worry about the weight gain. I'd been thin before and she thought I needed a little extra.

It was my first pregnancy after the m/c so I didn't have anything to compare it to. As everyone commented on my early bump I called my mom who reassured me that women in our family show early and not to worry.

We weren't doing any of the 1st trimester tests, but finally agreed to one u/s (21 wks) at our midwife's request. When I saw all those parts on the u/s screen I thought maybe it takes awhile to focus...the tech said, "So how many are you having?" (This was at a perinatology office where they see lots of RE clients with higher order multiples.) and poor DH's eye's got big and he almost fainted.

Funny thing is that I'd been feeling kicks from about 12 wks which isn't typical for a first pregnancy. I thought I was just more observant than most women...turns out I'm simply not as intuitive as most women!
Old 03-28-2007, 03:51 PM

I had an u/s at 5 weeks due to 2 prev m/c's. I saw what looked like two sac's, but nobody would say anything to me because I wasn't with my dr. I told my husband that's what we saw and showed him pic on the net that looked just like it. He didn't want to think it was true till a dr told us so. A week later my dr office called and said everything looked okay but they wanted to do another u/s at 6 weeks, they weren't even going to say anything about the possibility of two sac's. I knew at that moment I was done with my dr and found a new one that gave me an u/s at my 1st apt and shared all the info with me. We did have two sac's, they wern't sure one would continue, so we went back in a few weeks and we had two normal heartbeats. I have always just wanted to call my old dr back and give her what she did and how it made me feel, but it would do no good. My husband seems to have adjusted to the idea now (18 weeks) and the rest of the family is excited, so I am glad we knew sooner than later. Best wishes to you!

Tiffany wife of 11 yrs to Karl:, DSD Ariel (16) DSS Kaleb (13) DD Jessika (5) twins Drake and Olivia (2) :and our sweet suprise, Lola (11mo):: two angels Sammy(03/06) and Alex (07/06)
Old 04-03-2007, 10:52 AM

I found out at 10 weeks, when my MW did an u/s to confirm dates. I was measuring a few weeks ahead. I was very sick that whole pregnancy and very tired. My symptoms were 100 times worse in my twin pregnancy than with either of my singleton pregnancies.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:03 PM

I knew at 26 weeks but suspected all along.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:57 AM

I found out around 6 weeks - I'd had a miscarriage the month previously and didn't even get afull cycle and was pregnant again - so my dr. wanted to make sure that everything was good. We did an ultrasound and they made me drink gallons of water for it. I ran into the building without dh - who was parking the car- and told them I couldn't wait any longer. The ultrasound tech was very kind and told me she'd quickly run the wand over me and then I could go to the bathroom - afterwards I'd coome back and do the transvaginal ultrasound. So, there she was running the wand over me and suddenly she stopped. I got so scared that something was wrong and so I asked her if everything was okay. Her reply: OH, yes, everything is okaaaaay. It's just that there are two.

The funny thing is that ever since I had found out that I was expecting I was praying that they would be fine and healthy. Always they and never one. Somehow, I just knew.

I had hypermesis iwth this pregnancy as well (as my others except one) and lived on Zofran (the wonder drug) for the entire pregnancy and only had to get IV fluids once or twice.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Old 04-06-2007, 02:11 PM

Wow alot of us conceiving twins right after a miscarriage. Mine were two months after my loss, but It was my first cycle (I cycled every 2 months while breastfeeding). I wonder if there is a connection?

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 04-06-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebloom View Post
Wow alot of us conceiving twins right after a miscarriage. Mine were two months after my loss, but It was my first cycle (I cycled every 2 months while breastfeeding). I wonder if there is a connection?

I also concieved right after a loss. I did read in one book there was a connection. It was the only "twin risk factor" I had.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

User Tag List