Exhausted, 23 weeks w/ twins, ??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2007, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just trying to figure out if this is some kind of growth spurt or the norm for turning 23 weeks preggo with twins?

I cut back my hours at work to 24/week at 20 weeks. I really have had a good last three weekends working this way. Last weekend, really was the best. I walked away thinking.. This isn't so bad! I can definately do this for a few more weeks. I got off on Monday morning.

By Tuesday afternoon, I was exhausted. By today I am not only exhausted, but I hurt everywhere. I have no energy. Everytime I get up, I have pain and tightening of the abdomin. There are places on my abdomin that are actually burning and I can barely have anything touch it including clothing.

I am supposed to go back to work on Saturday night. But if I don't snap out of this, there is no way I will make it through my shift.

BTW, I am a nurse who works med-surg, 12 hour shifts, midnights.

I was just wondering what others experiences where. Was your change to not doing much sudden or more gradual? If it was sudden, when did it occur?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Hate to dissapoint you, but it's not going to get any easier. Every week got harder up until 28-29 weeks, now every DAY is harder than the last. I'm actually surprised you're still working, my OB said no more after 24 weeks, 18-20 if it's a job requiring standing.

The tightening sensation in your abdomen is likely Braxton-Hicks contractions. While not "real" contractions you do want to monitor them. If you have several an hour, lay down and guzzle water. If they get into a regular, prolonged pattern, then it's something to worry about.

There are a few moms around here who worked for most of their twin pregnancies, but the rest of us ended up lying around growing babies.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Listen to your body!

I was on bedrest from the day I found out I was having twins, at 18w. I was like a beached whale. I remember the day after I birthed them, I was walking from my room to the NICU like, jeez, I haven't walked this much in MONTHS!

Otoh a friend of mine is a L/D nurse and she worked pt til 39w.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 04-05-2007, 08:51 PM

I am a stay at home mom and have BH cont. that started a week or two ago. I am 19 wks and it just seems to get worse, I picked up the playroom today and I had to rest for an hour after. How sad is that. You should be proud of yourself for working so hard for so much of your preg. but don't push yourself. You don't see how stressful a twin preg is till you live it. I am trying to learn to let things go and not to stress it will be over before I know it, so it will all be okay. Best wishes to you!

Tiffany wife of 11 yrs to Karl:, DSD Ariel (16) DSS Kaleb (13) DD Jessika (5) twins Drake and Olivia (2) :and our sweet suprise, Lola (11mo):: two angels Sammy(03/06) and Alex (07/06)
Old 04-05-2007, 09:30 PM

I'm starting to feel this way. I thought I would be able to work until 30+ weeks but I feel myself slowing down so much; I will be 27 weeks tomorrow. Yesterday I BBQ'ed, but I had to clean out the grill and wash down the patio beforehand. I had so many BH contractions afterwards I couldn't even enjoy the food. I drank tons of water and fell asleep snoring on the sofa.

I'm sort of afraid to ask for my provider to sign disability paperwork. I guess I just feel wimpy because I am so used to being able to move about as I like. I spent most of my time posted on the sofa with a book, remote and laptop nearby.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:53 PM

My case is a little different as I didn't know I was carrying twins until 39.5 wks! I think that made all the difference. It was my first pregnancy & I didn't realize I was going through anything different than any other woman. Other than some seriously low iron at the beginning of my 2nd trimester, I felt great until around 36 wks. I work in a health food store & am on my feet all day. The last month was very painful on my back & hips. I also had a ton of intense BH contrxs.

It's all ab/your diet. Lots of protein & lots of minerals! Take a really good prenatal like New Chapter & consider everything that goes into your mouth. I lived off of eggs, kale, apples, & almond butter. I ate some sweets (more than my share that last month) but only after I had met my requirements. I made a chart of all the things I should eat in a day & checked them off. I followed the Brewer's diet pretty much, but I don't do dairy except kefir & yogurt, so I got calcium from other sources.

Red Raspberry tea is the best thing you can do. Yes, it will cause a lot of BH's, but it will really tone your uterus which you need. It is being seriously overstretched & you need it to contract effectively after the birth. Twin placentas are double sized (duh) so heavy bleeding is more common postpartum. Nettle tea is also important. Lots of vitamin K to prevent the heavy bleeding, plus tons of easily absorbable vitamins & minerals. It is also a mild kidney tonic helpful in late preg, esp w/twins. Both of these herbs can be thought of as food & drank as teas in abundance.

I worked right up until the day I found out I was having twins at 39.5 wks & delivered at home 2 days later. 7 lbs each. Dr's often stress you out & tell you to expect to deliver early (they consider 36wks term, I think that's crazy) but you can carry those babies all the way. Take immaculate care of yourself, and most importantly, TRUST that you can do it. Your body can carry those babies.

I am proud of my birth story ( as all mothers are) and I tell it to inspire other moms w/multiple pregs. Also, I am a doula and soon to be apprentice midwife. I want to see more safe twin births!

Rachel
Old 04-06-2007, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The biggest iron drop happens between 20 and 28 weeks. I definitely notice more fatigue and have upped my iron considerably.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 04-06-2007, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

I have already had my iron checked and went on supplements. I felt like this before when my iron dropped. I wonder if it could have gone down again, even with the supplements?

I am not better today. This is the fourth day in a row. I am calling my doc today and seeing about being taken off work.

I am definately going to check into those teas. I had alot of bleeding with my last pregnancy and a huge iron drop again after my DD was born.

I am up now because I was just achy as I slept. Though now sitting up, my uterus is already getting irritated. It is going to be a very loooooong next 3 months
Old 04-07-2007, 12:47 PM

I recall the change being pretty sudden - 27-29 weeks, somewhere in there was a real big slowing down for me. I spent most of the day sitting on the bed in my toddler's room or with her on the couch.

I went into a regular pattern of contractions at 29W, I think due to dehydration and a bit of excessive "doing" around the house. After that, I spent my days rolling around our house in my wheeled computer chair!

Protein shakes helped a lot and so did extra iron. But it never got "better" - just slightly more bearable knowing that everyday was bigger babies and closer to the end.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:18 PM

I'm glad you're checking in your with care provider -- I think it probably is normal but good to check.

My pregnancy with my singleton was a breeze -- I didn't understand people who complained about hard pregnancies. With the girls, it was miserable. I didn't find out about them til 19-20 weeks and the 14 weeks before that point and 17 weeks after were hard hard hard. I was SO sick, and SO tired, and had been so fit before getting pregnant... I was amazed how hard it was on my body. I was only teaching one class, three times a week and the semester ended at 24 weeks which was a blessing -- I don't think I could have taken much more (and I got to sit down while I taught, etc.) I just found it VERY hard being pregnant with twins.

So you are not alone -- but I think it's wise to check in, too. Take care and keep us posted.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:22 PM

Is started crashing big time at 22 weeks. I was tired, getting vertigo, dizzy, breathless, and just bone numbingly exhausted. I didn't bother waiting to get my iron tested... I just started taking some slow fe. Literally the next day I was 100% better. Anemia is a real problem in pregnancy and more so for multiple pregnancy, and it's amaising how quick it can hit you (and how quick you can feel better) if you get it. Definately get your iron checked and I second the good nutrition. The more you eat and the better you eat the more your body has to work with. I'm sure by the end we'll be really pooped despite all our best efforts, but for now those are a few things that might help. I'm 24 weeks right now and have been lucky enough to have had a super easy pregnancy, but i've been immaculate with my diet and really tried to stay fit (not that I was very fit before, but i've at least been able to maintain so far). Listen to your body, if you are tired, REST (as hard as it is sometimes... I know) and get checked for other possible fatigue causing reasons. I hope you feel better soon!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 04-07-2007, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! It may all be normal. I did go into L&D today. I don't feel that they took me seriously. I just have been feeling worse each day. I go to see the peri on Wednesday. So, hopefully I will find out for sure whether all this is normal (probably) or if something else is up.

All they did at L&D is check heartrates (148-152) and contractions (they said there were none, I say there were 4), and a u/a (normal).

Thanks again for listening.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRabbit View Post
The biggest iron drop happens between 20 and 28 weeks. I definitely notice more fatigue and have upped my iron considerably.
Yes. The Dr. suggested I increase my iron with an extra supplement around week 20 and I feel much better. Because I am able to work most of my day sitting at a desk I've had no problems working (I'm currnently 26 weeks). I hope to work as long as possible as when I'm sitting around at home I tend to think more about what could happen or might happen... I also tend to do more physical work at home, cleaning, sorting clothes, etc. because I get bored. If I were on my feet for eight hours that would be a different story.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:51 AM

It's sooooo freakin' exhausting. I don't know how you're still doing what you're doing at 23 weeks. Wow. Hang in there...
Old 05-01-2007, 03:02 PM

Glad to see that intense BH ctxs are common! When they started for me at 16/17 weeks, I kinda freaked out a little bit. But after dealing with them for the past 11/12 weeks, I got the hang of it.

And I found, like others mentioned, that I was much less exhausted once I figured out I was low on iron. I found an amazing iron supplement that is very easily absorbed by the body and does NOT cause constipation. (Trophic brand Iron Chelazome)

For me, needing to do less stuff comes in fits and starts. I'm more capable now than I have been in the past, but it really depends on the activity in question. Sometimes getting out of bed is enough to tire me out, but sometimes I have enough energy to go grocery shopping and make dinner for three. Each day is different and I've found that I have to take it as it comes.

28 weeks 1 day (yay!!!)
Old 05-01-2007, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ITA. Some days are easy and some are not. Yesterday sucked and who knows why. Today after a night of little sleep, I'm full of energy and get things done.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 05-01-2007, 06:34 PM

At that point, I was sleeping 10-12 hours a night (in 3-4 hour stretches for potty and snack breaks ).

Picking up the toys in a room would be ALL I could manage in a day. If I did more, I would be in pain for the next day too!!

Listen to your body, if it is too much, it is too much!!!!!!!

You really want to avoid the NICU as much as humanly possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:54 PM

Rachel,

What a great pregnancy story! And more proof that not all twin pregnancies are plagued with complications and end prematurely! You're a great role model!

I just hit 35 weeks today (found the twins at 21wks). Although I do get tired, I've found the Brewer diet and continuing mild exercise is helping a lot. It's not easy getting 130-150 gm of protein a day, but SOOO worth it. I feel better; the twins are keeping pace with singleton growth rates and so far we've had no signs of PTL.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome updates everyone! I am now 26w6d. I feel about the same as I did when I first posted, but I haven't gotten any worse. I quit working that same weekend

But I am feeling a need to slow down again. I am trying not to stress it

We started getting into our pool last weekend. And although it really tires me out, it is sooo wonderful to get in and get the weight off. Not to mention it does wonders for my edema!!!! So, I am getting in for about 30-50 mins every other day. It has already decreased alot of the discomfort I was having. Again, it still wears me out. But I was tired anyway
Old 05-07-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
Awesome updates everyone! I am now 26w6d. I feel about the same as I did when I first posted, but I haven't gotten any worse. I quit working that same weekend

But I am feeling a need to slow down again. I am trying not to stress it

We started getting into our pool last weekend. And although it really tires me out, it is sooo wonderful to get in and get the weight off. Not to mention it does wonders for my edema!!!! So, I am getting in for about 30-50 mins every other day. It has already decreased alot of the discomfort I was having. Again, it still wears me out. But I was tired anyway
Keep on slowing down, as your body tells you to. Trust me there is PLENTY of time to speed up later. I now have 3.5 year old twins and I'm in the best shape of my life and I don't get all that much of what folks would call "exercise." Rest now while you still have the chance!

User Tag List