Clomid and twins - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Which of the following best describes you?
I am a parent to twins and used NO reproductive therapies. 25 100.00%
I am a parent to multiples other than twins and used NO ART. 1 14.29%
I am a parent to twins and used Clomid. 6 85.71%
I am a parent to multiples other than twins and used Clomid. 0 0%
I am a parent to twins and used ART other than Clomid. 2 28.57%
I am a parent to multiples other than twins, and used ART other than Clomid. 0 0%
Other... please explain in a post! 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2007, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! A friend of mine was wanting to know how many parents of multiples used clomid... If you wouldn't mind terribly, please answer the poll questions!

Also, if you used ART (reproductive therapies) other than Clomid, could you please tell me which therapies you used?

She's a little worried about using interventions on her ttc journey- thanks for helping to put her mind at ease!

Thanks!
~Valarie~

~Mom to Sy (3), #2 Due Jan 2014, GF to Pork, Psych grad student, Judoka~

stillheart.gif  ribboncesarean.gif  stillheart.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  stillheart.gif  winner.jpg stillheart.gif femalesling.GIF stillheart.gif  vbac.gif stillheart.gif  bellycast.gif  stillheart.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 07:32 PM

I am not a parent to twins yet, but am 23 weeks pregnant with twins. I voted no extra interventions, I hope that is okay
Old 04-05-2007, 07:36 PM

I didn't actually vote, but I used Clomid. I was pregnant with twins and lost one, so I wasn't sure what to put.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 PM

You might also want to ask in another forum about people who used clomid but didn't conceive twins

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
Old 04-05-2007, 08:37 PM

I have boy/girl twins and didn't use any "help." They just run distantly in my family.

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 04-05-2007, 10:17 PM

I am a parent to twins and we didn't use any interventions but I know of 1 sets of triplets and 1 set of quintuplets that were from clomid. I also know of another set of triplets that was from another medication but I don't remember what it was. None of them belong to this group though. You should go to this forum to ask the question. You will get a lot more answers.
http://twinstuff.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 AM

No help of any kind. I was 22yo and single and had just graduated from college and was working as a waitress :

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 04-06-2007, 03:13 AM

My boys are clomid babies. The RE told me the chance of twins on clomid is 3.5 to 5% and the reading I've done backs that up. So not a huge risk. She has a 95% chance of having a singleton if she gets pregnant using clomid.

The triplets I've known from clomid were ladies who were already pre-disposed to multiple ovulations from being a twin or having twin siblings themselves or a similar risk factor. I wouldn't worry too much about higher order multiples on clomid without already having a risk though anything is possible.
But do realize that you are asking twin moms if they used clomid...there are going to be lots of clomid singletons that won't see this page.

Anyway, I think you can safely tell your friend she has a 5% chance of twins. I know many more from in-vitro as two eggs are often placed. Generally I think most RE's now tend to go from clomid to in-vitro..skipping some of those intermediate medications that can result in higher order multiples.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 04-06-2007, 11:38 AM

No medicines or technology at work. And twins don't run in the family, as far as I know.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:58 PM

Fraternal twins do run in families if the twins are on the mother's side and were not due to fertility treatment or from having too many all at once, or so i've read. Identicals do not run in families. Anywho, mine aren't born yet but they are MZ so clomid wouldn't have changed a thing. I have also heard that Clomid gives a 6% chance of twins, so I think your friend will probally have a singleton if she conceives with it. The chance goes up with injectables and other ART, but clomid is pretty mild.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 04-06-2007, 03:22 PM

My twins are Clomid babies, but so are my singletons.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
The triplets I've known from clomid were ladies who were already pre-disposed to multiple ovulations from being a twin or having twin siblings themselves or a similar risk factor. I wouldn't worry too much about higher order multiples on clomid without already having a risk though anything is possible.
FWIW, my SIL conceived her triplets on clomid, with no multiples in the family and no evidence of prior multiple ovulations. You never know what could happen, I guess.

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:48 AM

Mommy to twins here. We tried Clomid, but it didn't work. We tried injectables but they didn't work. We tried IVF but it didn't work. We ended up doing IVF with donor eggs and donor sperm - I actually got pg with triplets, but we lost one girl at 10 weeks pg.

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:05 PM

I did an infertility workup to try to learn why I was having recurrent miscarriages. As part of the routine workup, they did a Clomid challenge one month - I'm not sure why because I was clearly ovulating since I kept getting pg - just couldn't keep them. Anyway, twins run in my family, so that was the one month that we didn't ttc because I expected the Clomid would trigger multiple eggs to ripen. And, I was right, 5 eggs ripened fully that cycle.

6 months later - spontaneous triplets were conceived.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
Old 04-08-2007, 03:46 PM

interesting poll. I find locally that strangers will actually make comments and ask questions assuming I used ART. (My twins are spontaneous) I think you friend has to realize that the population base for this survey is very skewed towards someone who may be less likely to do ART vs a more mainstream forum.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:50 PM

mine are spontaneous b/g twinkies
Old 04-08-2007, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies!

She had read somewhere that the "normal" odds for twins is about 2-3%, and Clomid ups the odds to about 6-9%... I think she's just weird about taking any drugs, which is why a forum like MDC, with mainly crunchy moms, was more her style.

Thanks again!

~Valarie~

~Mom to Sy (3), #2 Due Jan 2014, GF to Pork, Psych grad student, Judoka~

stillheart.gif  ribboncesarean.gif  stillheart.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  stillheart.gif  winner.jpg stillheart.gif femalesling.GIF stillheart.gif  vbac.gif stillheart.gif  bellycast.gif  stillheart.gif

Old 04-08-2007, 10:27 PM

My endocronologist told me that the natural incidence of twins was higher - about 5-7% and with clomid about 10%. Maybe b/c I was "advanced maternal age"?

Anyway, I did once cycle of a low dose of clomid and have twins. (The pregnancy actually started as triplets, but one did not implant successfully.)
Old 04-08-2007, 11:30 PM

I have heard that fertility can help eggs split...? Is that possible?

I have a friend with quads. She did IVF with 3 and then one split. :

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 04-10-2007, 10:43 AM

my twins were a spontenous surprise, BIG surprise. I do that that in my twin ddc of 20-ish woman on me and 2 others had spontenous twins. So its all where you ask

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
Old 04-10-2007, 05:16 PM

Spontaneous b/g twins for me. I am a twin myself, I have a brother. There are also twins on my mom's side of the family, my dad's side, and my husband's family. I know it's said that twins run on the mother's side, but I got hit from all sides! :

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**

User Tag List