Let's talk about twins running for the street, breaking stuff, climbing, etc. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
 
DoomaYula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moms of street-runners, destructive tornados, and mountain climbers -- do you have boys or girls or one of each?

I have MZ boys who ran for the street (when they were little), climb everything, and for fun they like to disassemble anything that isn't nailed to the ground. When they were around 2yo, their favorite activity was removing their diapers. When I put them in onesies or something to contain them, they'd remove EACH OTHER'S diapers. They also figured out climbing out of the crib early.

I have a singleton 2yo girl who has never removed her diaper or climbed out of her crib, and who is usually pretty good about staying near me when we go out. (Don't get me wrong; she's NOT an angel! Just a little easier than the boys were at that age.) My best friend has twin girls who never climbed out, never ran, and I don't think they removed diapers.

Is it a boy or girl thing?

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
DoomaYula is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-11-2007, 04:18 AM
 
twin monkeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: hanging with the twins
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have boys and they are twinados
yes they climbed out of their cribs, removed all the grates for the heater (dh had to drill them into the floors)
have managed to move chairs to undue deadbolt locks.
Climbed ontop of the fridge yes the fridge how they did it I don't know but they have.
The only thing that saves me is I tought them the freeze game. This is how it is played we all run around the house then I say freeze and we all freeeze it's how I can keep them with me and out of traffic.
I think it's a boy thing all my friends with g\g twins don't have this problem and yes they do remove diapers we have even gone so far as to dress them backwards saftey pin them to keep the diaps on and they undue each others saftey pins.
I could go on and on about some of the wild craay funny things they due like dumping the recyling contaier out so they can turn it upside down and get into the fridge to get too all the good stuff we keep on the top shelf you know coffee creamer, wine along with other things i don't want them or the dog to get into..Or should I say them to feed the dog
twin monkeys is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 08:58 AM
 
newbelly2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my first boy was nothing liike this. Thw twins, however...holy climbing, running, food throwing destruction, Batman. they in one short year have caused more destruction than DS has in 4.5. I shudder when I think about what lies ahead. This post has not reassured me even slightly :
newbelly2006 is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 AM
 
hergrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My brother and SIL have twin girls who are highly rambunctious - climb everything in sight, rough and tumble, diaper removers. DS is also highly active. I used to think it was a boy thing until I saw my nieces in action. DS went through the diaper removal phase briefly. And one of my good friends has a singleton girl who is just like my nieces. I don't think it's a boy/girl thing. The two most peaceful, sweet, do-as-mommy-asks 2-3 year olds I know are boys.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
hergrace is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 11:46 AM
 
dbsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have b/g twins almost 3yrs old. They are both VERY active. My daughter is the most adventurous and climbs everything. It’s improved as they get older. My son is more of a 'people pleaser' and is concerned about doing things that may be wrong. My daughter has no problem running off and out of site, climbing up the outside of the staircases since there are gates blocking the stairs, getting on top the piano to dance, etc. We've made the house safe (attaching everything to the wall, several gates, etc.) but she seems to find ways to fulfill her thrill seeking nature – she is determined and persistent. (She is also hypo-sensitive and has sensory issues.) Everyday is an adventure!

My children are also very rough players. I’ve always allowed them to be loud and rambunctious in the house since it never bothered me or them. They have so much fun tumbling, wrestling and rolling around. Now I am thinking it was a mistake since they do not understand this behavior is not acceptable everywhere or with everyone. Anyone else with this problem? (The concept of ‘indoor voice’ means nothing to them! Their volume increases with their level of excitement.)
dbsam is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 AM
 
fyrebloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North of Boston, South of sanity
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my son is like this, but thank goodness there is only one of him! I shudder at the thought of my twins. I don't think it's a boy thing as I KNOW for a fact I was far worse at his age... so bad no one... not even my grandmother, would watch me LOL!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
fyrebloom is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 12:49 PM
 
nathansmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first boy was nothing compared to my twin boys. Holy crap. Child proofing which didn't need to be done with my first was done with the twins yet they have figured out most of the childproof locks. They are just two little boys who can figure out things very quickly which means mom needs to be quick thinking. I wish I could share details on things the twins do but this is a public board and since people stoop to copying you words to use them against you I no longer can share in detail.

How funny your having troubles with the same things I was critized about Paula. I hope your getting the support you need, sadly I didn't I was judged.
nathansmom is offline  
Old 04-11-2007, 01:25 PM
 
cdahlgrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awe yes, the little destroyers!! My boys were crawling onto everything (except the fridge, thankfully) by 12 months. They learned to unscrew their sippy cups w/i 2 hours of having them for the first time, sigh. They have been stacking toys or boxes since about 11 months to get into stuff. Oh, yeah and using drawers as ladders!!

My oldest wasn't a climber, but he was REALLY good at finding anything Not childproofed in anyone's house. We would take him to friends houses to help them babyproof, seriously. I could probably do the same with the twins, but they are more into getting into stuff than finding little screws or marbles or glass vases.

I am in awe of the Moms who go shopping with 2 or 3 little tag-a-longs!! Mine have to be tied down to stay with me!!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
cdahlgrd is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 12:35 AM
 
IlliniMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have twin girls twinadoes
IlliniMom is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 01:25 AM
 
f&p'smama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fraternal twin girls who are serious climbers, runners, jumpers and work part-time as a 2 girl wrecking crew.

They have not run into the street yet, but they have not had the opportunity. We live on a busy street, so the consequences would be dire if they ran into the street. I have a strict rule with them that they have to hold my hand or be carried when we are near cars. But they have run away from me when we are not near cars. And my father made the mistake of taking them to get the mail at his house and they ran into the street with him.

Their favorite game right now is bang toys into the windows. They have broken two. If I react to something they think it is big fun and do it more. So I try not to react, but some things, like banging things into windows, have to be stopped. So, so, so not fun.

I don't think it's a boy thing, although maybe on average boys are more prone to these types of antics than girls. I think twins plays into it -- they get ideas from each other and provide an audience for each other. Phoebe would probably be a lot more mellow if she did not have a twin sister than she currently is. Fiona would be the same as she is. My father calls my girls "monkeys in diapers."

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
f&p'smama is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 01:28 AM
 
f&p'smama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin monkeys View Post
Climbed ontop of the fridge yes the fridge how they did it I don't know but they have.
Holy cow! That would be scary! You must feel like you can't turn your back for a second.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
f&p'smama is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 01:44 AM
 
twin monkeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: hanging with the twins
Posts: 684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f&p'smama View Post
Holy cow! That would be scary! You must feel like you can't turn your back for a second.
Yes that is how I feel. It's usually when I run to the bathroom for a quick second and yes I have taken one in with me thinking it would help keep them from getting each other going but no luck with that yet.
twin monkeys is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 11:03 AM
 
gmvh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: PNW: at the foot of a volcano
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Excuse the off-topic-ness of this but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post
I have b/g twins almost 3yrs old.
I also have b/g twins and am in the same area! PM me if you guys would like to meet at the park sometime.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
gmvh is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
 
4daughters's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine are 3 y/o identical girls and they are always up to no good. They are starting to do very sneaky things, for exampte, they stole a scissor lock themselved in the bathroom and gave their barbie dolls are haircut. Thank God I got in there before they cut eachothers hair. Lately they are contantly climbing and getting things they should not. I go to the playground and one is hanging on the monkey bars and they other is up high on a rock climbing thing, so which way do I run. I have to say they are still a lot of fun although mischievious.
4daughters is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
DoomaYula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, mine have done things that would probably get me reported to CPS :

When mine were 2yo, we were on an airplane x-country and one of them was screaming THE.ENTIRE.TIME. I seriously wanted to put on a parachute and jump out of the plane. Along with everyone else on the plane. Finally a flight attendant approached me and told me I HAD TO calm my child. I looked at her like she was crazy -- do NOT mess with a pregnant mom of twins, which I was then -- and I said, "Do you think I WANT HIM TO SCREAM? Do you think I haven't tried everything in my power to get him to stop? Do you think I haven't just sang fifteen hundred verses of 'No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed' to him?!?!?!?" she kept arguing with me and finally I said that I had paid $300 EACH for my children's tickets and they had a right to sit in their seats and scream.

When we landed I was ready to move there permanently to avoid a return flight.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
DoomaYula is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 01:03 PM
 
musicmomto5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My twins aren't born yet, but I have a very good friend with ID boys. They have a term in their house. What asked, "What happened to ____(whatever object was destroyed, etc.)?" Answer - "It was twinned."
musicmomto5 is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 03:39 PM
 
TripMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Got 'em! Could have written your post - entirely. MZ boys + triplet sister. Destructo trio. The diaper thing - did it - do it - and more (major issue for awhile in our house) . . .. the climbing out of the cribs - yup. The seek and destroy missions each and every day . . . yup yup yup.

AND the singleton child who never did ANY of these things!

I am convinced that it is the group dynamic that spurs it on . . . .

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
TripMom is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 03:47 PM
 
TripMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I read some more . . .and it jogged my memory . . . I simply must share . .

* went upstairs to get their clothes one morning, came down 2 minutes later and they were on top of the center island in the kitchen trying to light the gas burners

* later that same day . . 30 seconds after they walked out of my sight . . to the sounds of loud thuds . . found all 3 in center of dining room table throwing very heavy decorative balls in bowl contained there to the ground - making deep imprints in wood flooring each time

* many times put all 3 down for nap . . .shortly later hear laughing . . and find all 3 running around in respective cribs naked from waist down and dancing in you know what

* one of my sons is literally spider man . . by 18 mo he could walk standing upright on any slide . . .could climb/scale almost any structure with the tiniest of groove for foothold

* there is no form of baby proof cupboard or drawer that they can't open -- as such, I have found them coloring walls with markers, cutting pillows with scissors, running with screwdrivers . .

* they could open the door locks and the door knobs in my house as soon as they could reach stretching their little tippy toes (so, 18 monthish?) - had to install top latches on every door in the house due to fear they'd escape and run in to street

. . . enough for now . . .

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
TripMom is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 03:50 PM
 
TripMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post
climbing up the outside of the staircases since there are gates blocking the stairs
OMG - my dd did this too. Grandma went upstairs to shower - and dd wanted to follow - I thought grandma took dd with her - all of sudden, heard grandma scream - dd was AT THE TOP of the staircase saying "Gamma, where r u? where r u, gamma?" -- its like a 20 foot drop??

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
TripMom is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM
 
nathansmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripMom View Post
I read some more . . .and it jogged my memory . . . I simply must share . .

* went upstairs to get their clothes one morning, came down 2 minutes later and they were on top of the center island in the kitchen trying to light the gas burners

* later that same day . . 30 seconds after they walked out of my sight . . to the sounds of loud thuds . . found all 3 in center of dining room table throwing very heavy decorative balls in bowl contained there to the ground - making deep imprints in wood flooring each time

* many times put all 3 down for nap . . .shortly later hear laughing . . and find all 3 running around in respective cribs naked from waist down and dancing in you know what

* one of my sons is literally spider man . . by 18 mo he could walk standing upright on any slide . . .could climb/scale almost any structure with the tiniest of groove for foothold

* there is no form of baby proof cupboard or drawer that they can't open -- as such, I have found them coloring walls with markers, cutting pillows with scissors, running with screwdrivers . .

* they could open the door locks and the door knobs in my house as soon as they could reach stretching their little tippy toes (so, 18 monthish?) - had to install top latches on every door in the house due to fear they'd escape and run in to street

. . . enough for now . . .
Wow I'm shocked your posting this on a public board. I did and someone copied everything I wrote so they could use it to prove I was an incapable mother. Anyways I hear you, my boys have done things equal to or worse when I've stepped out for less than 30 seconds. However I can not share in public any details of anything my kids have done.
nathansmom is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 06:17 PM
 
TripMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmom View Post
Wow I'm shocked your posting this on a public board. I did and someone copied everything I wrote so they could use it to prove I was an incapable mother. Anyways I hear you, my boys have done things equal to or worse when I've stepped out for less than 30 seconds. However I can not share in public any details of anything my kids have done.
Wow. Didn't know I should be embarassed by it?? Guess I'm naive? Is anyone planning on copying this and using it to prove I am unfit parent of four children - four years old and under? Please let me know. I'd like to meet my replacement who feels they can perform the job so much better. . .

I thought this thread was just kind of lighthearted fun sharing stories of all the crazy things that multiples manage to do! Guess not . . .

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
TripMom is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 07:15 PM
 
Proudmomoftwinsplusone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My boys, almost four, took a pair of scissors and cut a baby-proof latch in half so they could get to the VCR.

They are calming down a bit. Maybe they tired themselves out!
Proudmomoftwinsplusone is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:12 PM
 
nathansmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripMom View Post
Wow. Didn't know I should be embarassed by it?? Guess I'm naive? Is anyone planning on copying this and using it to prove I am unfit parent of four children - four years old and under? Please let me know. I'd like to meet my replacement who feels they can perform the job so much better. . .

I thought this thread was just kind of lighthearted fun sharing stories of all the crazy things that multiples manage to do! Guess not . . .
I don't think you should be embarassed its totally normal behavior for kids under 4. I totally understand what what your saying and I too see this thread as a lighthearted thread for moms of twins or more. The sad reality is its a public board and if someone wanted to they could copy everything you wrote and start a campaign to call you unfit. It happened to me and I would hate to see it happen to anyone else. I didn't know someone was doing this until they had copied well over a years worth of posts of experiences I had and then used it to call me unfit. Hopefully you and no one else ever has to experience this. Call me untrusting but my faith in humans was shattered when my info was copied by people who I "thought" were online "friends".
nathansmom is offline  
Old 04-12-2007, 09:00 PM
 
TripMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansmom View Post
I don't think you should be embarassed its totally normal behavior for kids under 4. I totally understand what what your saying and I too see this thread as a lighthearted thread for moms of twins or more. The sad reality is its a public board and if someone wanted to they could copy everything you wrote and start a campaign to call you unfit. It happened to me and I would hate to see it happen to anyone else. I didn't know someone was doing this until they had copied well over a years worth of posts of experiences I had and then used it to call me unfit. Hopefully you and no one else ever has to experience this. Call me untrusting but my faith in humans was shattered when my info was copied by people who I "thought" were online "friends".
I am shocked. Its sounds like that was done to you on online boards? Dare I ask if it was here an MDC?

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
TripMom is offline  
Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 AM
 
kirk_heidi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Far West Texas
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 1 of each. While they are very different, neither of them seem to have trouble doing any of the things you described. They even prefer to help eachother out.
kirk_heidi is offline  
Old 04-16-2007, 05:11 PM
 
4daughters's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripMom View Post
OMG - my dd did this too. Grandma went upstairs to shower - and dd wanted to follow - I thought grandma took dd with her - all of sudden, heard grandma scream - dd was AT THE TOP of the staircase saying "Gamma, where r u? where r u, gamma?" -- its like a 20 foot drop??
Mine just used to climb over the gate and would find them upstairs at 1 years old.:
4daughters is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off